“Nice owners”

Ranked #20 of 167 Speciality Lodging in Boracay
sydney
“Nice owners”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2013

i was here with family for 4days, we had the family room which was small but comfy,owner is A+ but bathroom need major attention, as tiles looks pretty dirty and its very noisy when you are in the toilet because its so close to the air-con that's outside. beside that this place is ok

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with family

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Makati City
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 March 2013

It was a first time for me to visit Boracay and I want it to be as fun and memorable as possible, since I will be bringing my 9-month old baby. I didn't opt to book in a luxury hotel since I know that we won't be staying there all day aside from the fact that it would cost me a lot. A colleague of mine suggested this and the moment I checked their website I knew I have found a place that fits my preference! I didn't have any problems from booking and during our stay there. It was a great location where you can enjoy all day in the beach and have a good night sleep regardless of how busy Boracay is 24/7. It's not beachfront but it was a minute walk from the shore so not a hassle should you leave anything behind. Definitely worth the stay!

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank grittygrazh
Woodford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2013

I have read some comments of this place that sounds not so pleasant. I am returning guest to Isla Gecko every time I am in Boracay Philippines for my kite boarding. I stayed in this hotel since from the old owner until they sold it 18 months ago and I still choose Isla Gecko as my home in Boracay. Over all of my stay in this hotel, I have never experience a bed bug specially for the length of my stay.

Mosquito is not an issue for me because there are mosquito’s everywhere in the island it’s just a matter of, you should be aware of it as it is very common in Asia. You even get mosquito’s on the beach. Some people are just so fussy.

The hotel is 1 minute walk off the beach which has the advantage that it is quite at night. And that is the reason why I love Isla Gecko because I feel that it is my home and only a short walk to my kite boarding area in Bolabog and close to popular D-mall where I can get all what I need. Only a 3 minute walk to the banks and ATM machine. It ‘s only a 2 minute walk to my favorite restaurant where you can buy fresh vegetables and seafood’s and pay a cooking charge.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled solo
9 Thank Mark_dr24
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2013

Stayed at Isla Gecko last week and had a great stay. The hotel and rooms are basic but clean - there are a lot of mossies here (as you would expect from a resort by the beach) but the staff provide mossie zappers which are effective and I recommend that you purchase a mosquito plug from the local supermarket which is a 3 min walk away.
The hotel is in a great location in station 2, right in the middle of everything. You must walk down an 100m alley to reach the beach, I was worried that this was a little dangerous however the alley is very well lit and there is absolutely nothing to worry about.
The staff, especially the owner, are very friendly and always willing to help - including setting up any excursions.
Breakfast is basic but good and this hotel is great value for money.

Room Tip: Dont be put off by the alley, its well lit at night and fine. Buy a mosquito plug from the supermark...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
4 Thank englefi
Berlin, Germany
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2013

There are a lot of mixed reviews regarding Isla Gecko so I wanted to give my 2 cents and address the points other reviewers have mentioned:
- The path to the beach is lit up and I totally felt safe. The locals are very friendly and do not hassle you. I didn't need to use a torch and it was mostly paved with concrete.
- I didn't have problems with mosquitoes because the staff were constantly using the tennis racquet mosquito zapper to keep them under control. And you are welcome to borrow it to clear your room of mosquitoes.
- The place is less than a minute's walk to the beach.
- It is true that you can hear noise from the other rooms but it was mostly quiet at night, more an issue if you want to sleep in during the day but I still slept fine
- Rooms were basic but clean and our sheets/towels were changed daily.
Overall I really enjoyed my stay there, but mainly because of the location and the friendly + helpful hosts. They also helped us with getting good prices for paragliding, paddleboarding and taking a paraw to see the sunset. The only tour that I was dissapointed with was the island hopping tour where you are taken to just one island called crystal cove which is really tacky and costs extra money to go inside.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank pmdalvarez
Manama, Bahrain
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 February 2013

Love this place. I actually travelled here in January of 2012, but I'm new to trip advisor, so I'm writing the review now.

The bed was comfortable with A/C in the room and hot water shower for less than $50 a day. One of the greatest beaches I've ever been to, White Beach, is a short 45 second walk from the front door. The owner's are great people and are willing to have a early afternoon beer at the small bar before you hit the great night life that White Beach has to offer.

I would recommend Isla Gecko Resort to anyone. Great place to stay in a great vacation destination.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank JimmieWalker61
Taipei, Taipei, Taiwan
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 January 2013

This hotel is old, run down and smells musty. The rooms are small and old and smell. The linen is also old and uninviting. There are no windows in the rooms so the air never really clears. The set up of the hotel is poor and the sound travels making privacy almost nil, even just for conversations. The price was very high for this hotel over 2000 pesos per night. I had book the rooms online. I got the hotel, took a look, and smell and went immediately next door to what was call villas inn at the time a 3 story white building. The rooms where very clean, nice bathroom, and the rooms have windows and terraces, tv and a fridge, which isle gecko did not have. To top it off this place was cheaper and twice as nice.

The people that run and own Isle gecko are very nice but that doesnt change the fact the place sucks. All the reviews you read about this place that are good are coming from the heart of good people that enjoyed the friendliness of the owners and ignored the reality of the crap box of a hotel that it is or they havent stayed anywhere else to compare it to. Out of the 6 people that book online to stay there, only 2 actually ended up staying there. We even lost some money by canceling but it was well worth it.

Do NOT stay there, it smells in the rooms, there is little privacy and its not cheap.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank dgmdgm
Gecko5608, Manager at Isla Gecko Resort, responded to this review, 18 January 2013
First of all, I am the new owner and bought the hotel in July 1, 2011. Since then, we have not stopped updating the hotel to be able to compete.
We have bought new matresses, bedsheets, towels, curtains, mirrors, flat screen TV, and everything we think that would be acceptable to our customers or guest like you. We feel that the satisfaction of the guest or customers like you is critical for the survival in the business. We also
change all the native walls into concrete walls and solid doors without losing our Philippine theme.
I wish you have mentioned it before you left, so we could have addressed your complaints.
Or perhaps written us one or two months later and not after a year. We went through all our Registration Papers for February 2012,
( since you did not give your name or dates of your stay) but we could not find any cancellations or also remember any cancellations.
Instead, we found on the records of Guests extending their stay. Nevertheless we apologize for the inconvenience you have suffered. I am glad
you were able to find a place so you could enjoy your stay in Boracay.