“Not value for money”

Escondido Beach Resort
Ranked #116 of 145 Hotels in Boracay

Solo
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Reviewed 9 October 2008

Me and my friends went here Oct 2007... we booked via PAL for 4d/3n.. cost us around PhP6K per person (this includes plane fare to Kalibo, land/sea transpo, and accommodation)

pros:
>recommended if you're going to spend most of your time outside the room
>clean rooms and bathrooms
>staffs are accommodating (well trained)
>near station 1

cons
>hard to get back here if you're highly intoxicated
>non beach front around 2-5 min walk to the beach.. 5-10 min walk to station 2..
>during high tide at night, after partying at station2, you can no longer walk back here via shore.. so you have to walk at the road..
>when rain pours, the street in front of the hotel gate gets flooded

• Liked — Front Desk and the rooms
  • Disliked — Location
  • Stayed October 2007, travelled as a couple
1 Thank marcgorospe
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 17 June 2008

Again, another overdue review. So this entry is submitted 3 months after I actually stayed at this hotel. I don't think that it affects the review at all - but I am placing it as a caveat nevertheless.

Firstly, this hotel is not beachfont. It's not even streetfront. It is off a quasi-driveway, past someone's backyard. Without exaggeration, you practically walk through someone's living room to get into the hotel itself. You have to be aware of this. The hotel is around the Station One area, right around the corner from the Cocomangas 'institute' on Boracay (you will hear the music faintly in the evenings). Therefore, it is at least a 10 minute walk to Station 2 and the surrounding 'central business district'. This walk is a beach walk too as the 'road' is far too narrow and does not have a sidewalk to walk on. To get to the beach from this hotel, you have to walk about 2 short blocks (one block is the quasi driveway past someone's living room), cross the street, then walk on a laneway beside TRUE HOME HOTEL to get to the beach.

Secondly, we got a ground floor room, a corner one that had one of those terrace tables that was highlighted as a wonderful breakfast dining option. The annoying part is that other guests would use this table and depending on their breakfast schedules, we would be rudely awoken by their conversations. Our bed was right next to the window- so it could not be helped. Even when I pulled the blinds up to tell them to keep it down - they never did. It was terrible! We woke up several mornings in a row to supposed "Aga Mulach" stalking tactics and medical ailments. Moreover, it was not just one vacationing party doing this so I couldn't narrow it down to rudeness.

Thirdly, we had to ask for our room to be cleaned. It was not done automatically. We stayed there 5 nights and it was cleaned twice, both due to our request.

On a plus side, their staff were always smiling and friendly. In the evenings they closed the gate (we assume due to previous issues if you read old reviews) and the guard was always friendly. Their breakfasts were lovely - I enjoyed the pancakes. They always had electricity and cable TV in our room.

Boracay is horrible. I must say this. I went there about 15 years ago and have been raving about it since. After this trip, I will forever complain about it. It is such a pity as it was a lovely place. But overpopulation, over-development and party-orientated marketing has ruined it.
1) There is hardly any beack left as it is over run with restaurants, vendors and kiosks.
2) The water and beach is full of garbage
3) The waters edge is covered by a slimey green moss. I'm not technical enough to explain what it is...it's not seaweed, it's stinky, slimey moss. It is on the waters edge and covers the beach. It seems to appear during the day and then leaves towards the evening. The reminants of this slime on the sand is usually raked together and buried by restaurant vendors so that they can use the sand for what else - restaurant seating.
4) Boracay is full of street kids begging for money. Some creatively build sand scuptures and ask for donations, but more often than not, they just ask for money. The older kids gang together and pick fights with each other. How relaxing is that?
5) Street vendors are everywhere selling everything from fake sunglasses to pieces of bark. so you finally find a patch of free sand to sit on, then people start crowding around you and push things in your face.
6) People are deceiving. We caught a tricycle from our hotel to D'Talipapa and the driver charged us P20 each. When we questioned why, he said that the drop-off point had a fee. We paid the amount and never caught a Tricycle again. When we told our hotel receptionist the story, she said that the Tricycle should have been P12 each and that we had been tricked. Now, I speak Tagalog and got tricked - what more a foreigner.

I may have gotten carried away, but I am now an advocate against Boracay. If you are going, then this hotel is sufficient as it is clean and the staff are friendly. Just don't get ground floor room with an outdoor table.

However, the location may take away from your vacation - so just bear that in mind.

• Liked — Staff are friendly and hotel is clean
  • Disliked — Location
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank kimonio
Reviewed 10 May 2008

I just came from my 6-days trip from Boracay, Escondido's room is in good condition, the place is clean, food is average, and staffs are warm. I suggest you stay here at Escondido, although it's not beachfront, its just a merely 2-minute walk to the beach and it's peaceful at night.

• Liked — rooms, surroundings, and it's peaceful at night, away from the noise of bars
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank angelic_lady25
manila
Reviewed 2 October 2007

Got a good deal from this hotel. Very nice clean sheets changed everyday, very friendly staffs, breakfast is average. Its more than what I expected. We even had a room service massage, very affordable. I will surely be going back to this hotel.

• Liked — almost everything
  • Disliked — mosquitoes at the dining area early in the morning
  • Stayed September 2007, travelled with family
2 Thank donabee
Manila, Philippines
Reviewed 20 July 2007

Stayed in this hotel in conjunction to Palakbayan promo of the Philippine Airlines. It is one of the cheapest packages so we decided to give it a try.

This hotel is not on a beachfront location but is only about a 2 minute walk to the beach. The staff are all very courteous and helpful. They serve good breakfast. The restaurant serves good food though of limited selection of food. You can always request for massage in your room though there is an extra charge for massage service after 7 pm. We always just walk by the beach going to D'Mall so we find it on a good location but not noisy since it's quite a distance from D'Mall. The beach near the hotel is also not so crowded.

All in all, we enjoyed our stay here and would recommend it to those on medium budget.

• Liked — Service
  • Disliked — No internet access
  • Stayed June 2007, travelled with family
2 Thank geminitraveller
Reviewed 28 April 2007

I highly suggest you book to other hotel resorts in Boracay instead of Escondido. I had a very, very bad experience with this hotel during my family vacation just this April 2007. We were being charged when we are checking out for stains (caused by Henna tattoos) in the beddings and towels that we were not responsible for. Yes, we were warned of this when we checked in and so I made sure that we do not put stains on their beddings and towels.

One of the fun activities when in Boracay is putting Henna tattos on the body in which the marks will last for about 2 weeks. Almost all tourist do this. My family and I had Henna tattos done during our 1st day of our vacation. To make sure that we don't stain anything, I made sure the ink is dried and washed it with water and soap for several times. As an added precaution, I made sure that we wore T-shirts with sleeves during night as the tattoes were applied on our shoulders.

When we were checking out, we were told of the stains on the beddings which we need to pay for exhorbitant prices ($300 for blankets, $120 for pillow covers and $200 for towels). I argued that these were not caused by my kids as we compared the marks with the ones on our bodies. The bedding are not new ones and the stains may have been present before we used them. We should have checked these when we check-in which is not a practical thing to do during a vacation. I asked the manager or owner to discuss this but they could not refer me to him.

As we were pressed of time, as we need to go catch our plane to Manila, we were forced to pay these. Our fun in Boracay was spoiled because of this small but unforgiving event. I am sure this had happened to a lot of guests here.

I strongly suggest that you avoid booking at Escondido to enjoy your vacation in Boracay. Aside from our experience, the hotel is not located on the beach front. You have to walk 5 minutes to get there and you had to pass by local folks drinking at night. There are lots of hotels and resorts on the beach front which you can try.

• Liked — Quiet
  • Disliked — My experience during check-out and the proximity of the resort from the beach
  • Stayed April 2007, travelled with family
4 Thank Tommy05

Travellers are raving about these Boracay hotels