“Disappointing to say the least!”

Best Western Boracay Tropics Resort
Ranked #40 of 152 Hotels in Boracay
Reviewed 6 August 2012

My family were very disappointed with this hotel. Although I have stayed in worse places in Boracay I think we expected something a bit nicer. The room was a bit worn down, furniture chipped and the bedding had stains. The sliding balcony doors didn't close properly, the sink leaked onto the bathroom floor and the room was dirty. The bathroom was mouldy, the wardrobe full of hairs and dead insects and under the glass on the desk was everything from a watermelon seed, hair clip and a finger nail. There was a vase with a few shells in it which was full of dead insects floating in a few inches of water. The air con was awful. It was an old window type which was noisy. And due to the lack of proper ventilation the room was always damp and all our clothes were too. We all woke covered in bites and the spare pillows in the wardrobe had clearly not been changed and stank. When we tried talking to the staff we soon realised that we were wasting our time. The front of house staff were unfriendly and unhelpful. The rest of the staff seemed unmotivated and nobody made an effort. At no time during our week stay and despite several complaints did we ever see a manager which in my opinion is why things were the way they were. Breakfast was no better with the staff either untrained, under managed or just not bothered. Nobody shows you to a table. Nobody asks you if you would like tea or coffee. If you sit at the pool area nobody offered you a drink or towels. After a while you get the feeling that they just don't care although I think it is more likely that they are just not managed.

The kids playroom was terrible. No sign of the TV or Wii just a few broken toys and some horrible old mats. We only took our son in once only to find it was swarming with mosquitoes.

The location is pretty rubbish too. Some other reviews have mentioned the short walk to the beach. But nobody seems to point out that it is by no means a pleasant walk as the road (not path) is busy, all broken up and when it rains it is a nightmare.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
7  Thank traveller567Hongkong

Reviewed 3 August 2012

My barkada stayed here for our summer trip last April 2012. It didn't matter if it weren't beach front, we loved that it was secluded and has its own tropics vibe.

What I (we) liked about this hotel/resort:

1. The spacious room. We're a group of six and still the room is big enough for us. The dorm type room is perfect because each of us has our own nook. No need to share beds. Plus, we're treated to three or four pillows each! (As compared to other hotels providing just one pillow per person.)
2. The pool. Just perfect for unwinding after a long day of being at the beach.
3. The food. My friends are very critical when it comes to food, that's why I'm so glad that they gave the hotel breakfast thumbs up. They enjoyed the food so much that we had lunch there twice.
4. The staff and service. When traveling with a group expect sudden changes/cancellations, thank goodness, the AE who handled our reservation was kind and patient in assisting us. The hotel front desk and crew were commendable too, they even helped us plan our activities.

What could be improved:
1. The bathroom - Although it's spacious and looks newly-designed, we really recommend that they put a water stopper/division between the shower and toilet because the entire bathroom gets flooded after use.

Everyone has their unique experience when staying in a resort/hotel. For us, our stay at Boracay Tropics was indeed worthwhile. Days after we left Boracay, my friends kept telling me how much they miss the room, the pool and the food.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
4  Thank heynica
Reviewed 6 July 2012

Although the hotel is not on the beach, we were unsure if we had made the right choice. We were not disappointed. Nice gardens and pool, and good friendly staff. Breakfast was varied and they even asked what we liked at home to try and please. The rooms are clean and modern, aircon worked well. A well priced accommodation.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank toonfox
Reviewed 13 June 2012

The resort has a beautiful garden and swimming pool. The room is clean and nice with a balcony facing the pool. Wifi signal is available in the balcony. Location of hotel is a little bit far from the beach. You have to walk through a street to get to the beach. But you are also away from the noise at night. And it's close to D'talipapa ( the seafood market), within 5 mins walk.
What makes me love this resort so much is their service. Girls at the reception are always with smile. I left my ipad when checked out.The housekeeper found it and turned it to their manager. I was so happy to got it back when I tried to contact the resort. It's really excellent service which makes you feel warm! Besides, its breakfast is the best I had in boracay. Many choices and fresh fruits are provided.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank ivy8885
Reviewed 18 May 2012

The hotel is well appointed in terms of everything your looking for in a middle priced hotel. Clean and well maintained. The food is good and reasonably priced. The staff, yeah, courteous enough and prompt to answer your needs. Only downside is that it's a rather tedious just going to the beach for the hotel is a bit of a walk. Maybe 5-10mins walk depending on the traffic both human n deliveries.

Room Tip: It really depends on one's preference. Basing from all the rooms we got. They are all in tip top...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank Scrumpchie
Reviewed 17 April 2012

Its a tradition for me and my family to go to Boracay every year, and this time around we were accompanied by a new addition to our family, my 2 year old nephew so we decided to ditch the noisy beach fronts and try new hotels and we landed to this wonderful resort.Though a 5 minute walk from the beach, it will always be a treat to walk back to the hotel and relax at your room as Boracay Tropics has raised the bar on exquisite, classy rooms and tranquil vicinity, definitely a hidden gem in the island. From the transfer alone i was really impressed we were on the go, no waiting no lining up, just perfect especially when you're travelling with a toddler. We got to the hotel and greeted with no "rehearsed" good mornings and welcomes which i love cause nowadays we usually hear these greetings with no passion at all, this time around i felt they love their jobs and they are really happy to serve us! After checking in, we headed onto our room. we booked the dormitory room, i was a bit reluctant as we were located at the very top floor but once we got in all of us were in awe as we have never seen a room of such. Whoever designed those rooms were genius as to put an edgy yet chic twist on an ordinary bunk bed! My family enjoyed as the beds were so comfy and spacious. the room looked so massive it was really comfortable to move around with 6 people in the room!

Breakfast was a feast as it was a buffet. And the selections were pretty good. I loved how the ones who were serving us also made our eggs at the egg station. it was an added entertainment for us. Great way to start the day energized and with great food! we also tried lunch and immediately fell inlove with the Chef's Patatim! And it was huge portioning! indeed, great for sharing!

We left the hotel with smiles on our faces as the hotel made our vacation more relaxing and easy! There were even times we didnt want to leave the hotel as we enjoyed it there so much! I also noticed they had solar panels on their roofs, glad to know they are in the group of being eco friendly!

All the staff were so friendly and catering to my family, never have I seen my family so Happy. We've checked into many hotels in Boracay but only here in Boracay Tropics did I see my family so happy and also expressing they enjoyed their stay in this hotel

I highly recommend to everyone who will be visiting Boracay to stay at this Hotel, its worth every penny!

Room Tip: Try the dormitory rooms if you are going with friends or groups of 5-6 and you want to stay in the s...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
7  Thank Pransya
Reviewed 12 April 2012

My wife and I stayed at Boaracay Tropics in April 2012 spanning the high season at Easter.

The hotel is located off the beach on the main road - but is only a short 4 minute walk to the beach. It is about 10-15 mins walk to D Mall.

The rooms are large enough for 2 people to feel relaxed - and the bathroom is clean.
There are about 30 English language TV channels to suit all tastes. All the usual ones.

The staff are friendly and helpful.

The environs are quiet and peaceful - with the hotel rooms wrapping around the pool and garden.

Food at the restaurant is pretty good for those times when you don't want to venture out of the property. The breakfast buffet is acceptable - a limited range but sufficient.

We originally checked in for 4 nights - and then decided to extend our stay and remained at the hotel as it suited us very well.

Great value for money - would stay here again.

Room Tip: Make sure you ask for a room that doesnt face the main road - as they could be quite noisy.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple