“Mixed feelings....”

Ranked #26 of 147 Hotels in Boracay
Washington, UK
“Mixed feelings....”
Reviewed 22 August 2013

We stayed here before two years ago and had a great experience so thought we would book again. Prices are quite high compared with other hotels in Boracay, but the Tropical atmosphere and pleasant staff swayed me to book a dorm room (for 6) and a double room for four nights in early August.

I noticed the newly renovated dorm room advertised on their Facebook page so contacted the hotel by email to request this, was told that it shouldn't be a problem. Of course upon check in there was no interest in accommodating us in the requested rooms. I was eventually shown a range of rooms, but decided to stick with the room that we had been given - which was the same standard as our visit two years ago.

One kind gesture was that the hotel arranged, very quickly and short notice a complimentary cake for one of our party who was celebrating their wedding anniversary, This was really kind and appreciated. The advertised free wifi in rooms does not actually reach the rooms and I don't think there are any plans to change this.

The biggest concern for me was that a rat was seen in the double room (103). Given the 4,000 PHP per night charge I was very angry. I noticed that when staff are cleaning they are leaving the doors of the rooms open, even afterwards - so at street level this is a possibility. The hotel is near a swampy area with shanty houses nearby. The manager did arrange for us to move rooms and offered a generous dinner to apologise. This was duly appreciated and is the reason why I have mixed feelings about this hotel.

The gardens and pool area is wonderful, most of the staff are helpful and very polite. We spent a lot of additional money buying drinks from the bar and also arranged a massage at the hotel Spa as we did two years ago.

However, there are major building works going on next door, and this has not been advertised on the hotel website or anywhere else. We were woken with sounds of banging and drilling, which continued while we were in the pool, all day long and into the night. Even in the spa during our massage all I could hear was a construction site. As I explained to the manager, it is not enough to put a notice of apology in people's room. I would have cancelled and rebooked to a different hotel had I known about this in advance. I guess this is what they would like to avoid.

I wouldn't rule out coming back to the Boracay tropics. Their dorm room including breakfast is great value, the staff and manager is extremely approachable and friendly and I appreciated their many efforts. It is close enough to the beach, the drinks (even minibar) prices and prices for services like massage are fair and affordable and the tropical atmosphere is lovely.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Reviewed 18 August 2013 via mobile

We stayed here 2 years ago and it was a brilliant experience hence we chose to stay again this time. From what they advertised, it said rooms were newly refurbished (and there were photos provided) but to our surprise, we ended up on the same room (the room that we stayed at 2 years ago) and its old and a bit smelly. The room is located at the rear end of the resort next to a swamp so there were plenty of Mosquitos in the room! One of the rooms that we hired had a rat inside. The management moved us to another room but the staff claimed there weren't any rats despite of 2 of our guests seeing it a few times.

They advertised a free unlimited wifi but it rarely worked and actually couldn't acquire signal from our room so we had to go to a stairs landing to use it; we then had to suffer mosquito bites.

We used the Oasis Spa and it smelled like it wasn't used or touched since we used it 2 years ago.

There was a building construction next to the resort so there were banging and noisy machineries all day. This was never advertised nor advised during our booking or pre-arrival but the wifi that was on their advert was rarely on.

The resort location is not too far from the beach but you had to walk through a flooded (sewerage water) street to get there.

On the lighter side, the manager offered us complimentary dinner. It was a generous one! The staff was very friendly all the time and there was not any shortage of warm greetings and smiles.

Will definitely consider another resort on our return to Boracay.

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank redyakki
Comox, Canada
Reviewed 15 August 2013

My friend and I stayed at the Boracay Tropics from July 31st to August 3rd, 2013 and we absolutely loved our stay. When we entered the hotel we were instantly greeted by the staff and given a glass of iced tea. The staff here is truly the best: they allowed us to check in early and they prepared our room within a couple of minutes. An example of the staff’s willingness to help is that our baggage got lost on the flight from Manila to Caticlan and the receptionist at Boracay Tropics called the airline to arrange delivery while we went to the beach! It was a very sweet gesture and we genuinely appreciated their help. The Tropics is a great location—it’s just a 2 minute walk from the most beautiful beach I have ever stepped foot on. The white sand here is unparalleled and Boracay Tropics is the best opportunity to enjoy your vacation on the island.
The Tropics is a really great hotel: definitely one of the nicest hotels I’ve ever stayed in. The rooms were clean, huge, and really nicely decorated. I don’t think there is anything else a traveler can ask for than feeling at home while in a foreign country, and Boracay Tropics definitely makes you feel that way: the staff, the room, and the setting add up to a great experience. Don’t even get me started on the breakfast: it’s a continental buffet, and everything you can ask for. There are pancakes, an omelet bar, fresh fruits, bread, pastries, and a touch of Filipino (rice, various meats, etc.). It was hands down the best breakfast buffet I’ve ever had. I would go back to the hotel just for the buffet, even though Boracay Tropics offers so much more than just good food.
The setting of the hotel is an oasis. The gardens and the pool made us feel like we were in paradise. It is definitely one of a kind and I would most sincerely recommend Boracay Tropics for your next stay. All in all, the staff, the hotel, the setting, and the food are incredible. The most telling review I can write about the hotel is to answer the question, “would I stay here again?” and my answer is a resounding, “YES.”

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
Taipei, Taiwan
Reviewed 14 August 2013

good location, good service and good swimming!! 雖然泳池不大,但是乾淨!地點不錯,到dmall都是搭嘟嘟車,大概五分鐘就能抵達!!飯店付近有超好吃的西班牙餐廳dos!!!一定要去品嘗!!另外比較差的地方,就是check in等很久~~~

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 12 August 2013

This is the worst hotel I have ever stayed in! It is smelly, very badly maintained, dirty - basically not habitable! I would not even recommend this hotel to my enemies. Housekeeping does not even knock when they come into your room. They just use their key and barge into the room. It is a totally unsafe hotel, very noisy being on the main road, dirty, smelly and the list goes on. I am extremely surprised with the rating they have got on Trip Advisor. I strongly suspect they have paid to get this rating and the reviews that are being submitted are by their own people so as to have the hotel occupied.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank S M
Bergen Norway
Reviewed 11 August 2013

from the time we booked via internet fr Norway and exchanged emails for some changes in room accomodations until the last day of our vacation in Boracay, everythign went so smoothly. They made the booking and our stay a very memorable exeprience and as a very satisfied customer, I am now telling all my friends that in Boracay best to stay int his hotel, aside from it is a good distance away from the beach enough to have quiet night swimming at the pool (which is clean and tranquil at night), it is also a 2 to 3 minute walk to the beach front ... I don't think i'll consider any other hotel after this experience with Best Western.. We will be back for sure.. AGAIN TO ALL THE STAFF WHO TENDED TO OUR NEEDS THANK YOU SO MUCH!! :;D Special mention to Grace, Russel, Christian and another Christian :D

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Bridgeville, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 8 August 2013

This was our first time in Boracay and we spent 9 days / 9 nights here in July 2013. Located along the main road with a nice tropical setting within walking distance to the beach, D-Mall and Talipapa. The room was cool, clean, quiet and comfortable. The lobby staff was friendly and helpful. The breakfast buffet and food choices were excellent as were the restaurant staff. Jaypee, Jeffer and Christian always had a smile and always made you feel welcome. We would stay here again and recommend the Boracay Tropics to anyone.

Room Tip: Cabana room has a nice balcony with hammock and chair.