Best Western Boracay Tropics Resort
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
  • Restaurant
All reviewsdormitory roombhelbeach frontbreakfast buffetnice poolminute walk to the beachmanila officewhite beacha nice place to stayswimming pool isd mallcable tvmangohome away from homewelcome drinksuperior roomvisit boracay
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 25 November 2013

The poor service started when we arrived; we booked and paid for 2 superior rooms (1 king bed in each) and 1 twin room, when we arrived they tried to Palm us off by 'upgrading' us to 3 twin rooms. When we stood our ground they finally gave us what we paid for - mind you, this took close to 5 hours. After a weeks stay we came back to our room to find that housekeeping had neglected to clean our room, so we spoke to reception and asked this to be done. This then took them 3 hours to arrange, however, once we came back we noticed an odd smell in the room - like the water had gone off or someone had spilt something. After more investigations, we realized the smell was urine and it was coming from the bed. I can say hand on heart say it was neither me, nor my partner. After asking housekeeping to change the bed, they did, but the smell wasn't gone. It took us another hour to realize that someone had moved our bed and urinated underneath it. I wish it was a practical joke, but sadly, it's not. it's now 10pm at night, our room is being deep cleaned while the door is left open and it attracts Mosquitos, and the electricity will go out in 2 hours to 'save power'. this was NOT what we paid for, if I wanted to be left without electricity, have someone urinate on our floor and have to argue with management about what we booked (with a copy of our booking mind you!) I would have bought a tent and camped on the beach. The reception hung up on me twice whilst organizing it and their attitude and demeanor was rude, unhelpful and completely disrespectful. Also, before traveling we checked if the hotel had power and water after the typhoon to be advised that all was well and we'd have no issues. Upon arriving, we we're handed a 'scheduled outage' arrangement in which the power would be turned off for 9 hours a day! Trust me, getting a massage is not relaxing when there is no air con and the masseuse can't see what they're doing! Trying to get ready for the night is equally as difficult with no water pressure and little light. And worst of all, the fridge became completely redundant when drinks and food stored started to thaw and warm once the power was out. We will be seeking a full refund and will be advising anyone looking to travel to Boracay to avoid this hotel unless you like disappointments.

• Stayed: November 2013
9  Thank Jayne T
Reviewed 11 November 2013

Boracay Tropics

"This was my first trip to Boracay. We had our second and our third night in Boracay Tropics. We were treated with their specialty cucumber-mango slush (a VERY refreshing drink); the breakfast buffet was amazing as their was a lot to choose from. Our second night, we stayed at a dormitory type room which had a great vibe to it. Almost like a five-star room in any beach resort around the world. The last night, we stayed at the spa room where we were treated with aromatic candles all night and gave us a very peaceful and relaxing last night of stay in Boracay and Boracay Tropics. Overall, I will recommend my friends and family to stay in Boracay Tropics for the amazing facilities, crew members and the delicious food! Boracay Tropics gets a five star rating in my book.

• Stayed: November 2013
Reviewed 5 November 2013

Pros:
(1) Very spacious dorm rooms -- enough space for 7 pax and still leaves enough room for our luggage.
(2) Neat, well-manicured lawns.
(3) The best asset of this resort is its staff. Very polite. Helpful and efficient. We especially liked our driver and the housekeeping staff who attended to our flooded bathroom every night.
(4) split-type aircon in perfect condition
(5) flat TV with good reception

Cons:
(1) The most important thing to mention here is the slippery bathroom. There is no floor barrier/shower enclosure between the shower area and the entire bathroom. Ergo, once you take a shower the water splatters in the entire bathroom. The shower curtain didn't help at all for how can you control the flow of water from a rain shower? We were worried that one of us might slip. Most accident cases happen in the bathroom and we've known people who had been fractured by a bad fall due to slippery bathrooms. There were 7 of us in the room so after all of us have taken our baths you could already imagine that our bathroom already looks like a Metro Manila street after a heavy downpour. So if you are travelling with small children or the elderly, this is one of the most important consideration... they might slip on the floor and suffer from injury.

(2) There is no view... once you draw the curtains all you get to see is a wall under construction (there is a separate property being constructed right in front of our room, blocking the entire view).

(3) There is no drying area for wet clothes. Hence our (very wet) bathroom reeks of wet dripping clothes too.

(4) Due to the fact that the only windows are blocked by the wall being constructed, the room is very, very dark. There were only 2 bulbs to light the room.

(5) The hotel is full of Asian tourists. For political reasons and because they are vengeful bullies I will not mention from where but will just describe them as loud people who hang their socks by the poolside. One evening while resting by the pool I saw them came and washed their hands in the pool. On a separate occasion, they also came in droves and while wearing their slippers went straight to the pool and washed their feet! During breakfast, they scream from their tables and talk to their companions who were getting food from the buffet table. They also do not use proper swimming attire. I complained at the front desk for the behaviour of these people and I was told that their tour coordinator/operator have been already told of these but these tourists just consistently fail to behave in a civilized manner (not discriminating here but would like to advise fellow travelers that if this is annoying to them then best to avoid this place)

(6) Lack of variety of breakfast menu

(7) Old, worn-out towels --- from where I come from, these kind of towels are only used as floor mops

(8) Old bed mattresses... not firm enough for a sound sleep

Room Tip: Albeit spacious, avoid the dormitory rooms due to safety concerns in the bathroom.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Meryl_Jill
Reviewed 3 September 2013 via mobile

This resort brought a very good impression on our brain. everything is beautiful, the ambience, rooms, services of the staff in restaurant they will really treat you well.

Just one thing we don't like the noise of the renovating buildings or rooms beside our place, well maybe that's their best time to renovate rooms or building more rooms or we don't know if its another resort, because its the lean season.

shortly, we just enjoyed everything in the resort except of the noise.

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed 22 August 2013

We stayed here before two years ago and had a great experience so thought we would book again. Prices are quite high compared with other hotels in Boracay, but the Tropical atmosphere and pleasant staff swayed me to book a dorm room (for 6) and a double room for four nights in early August.

I noticed the newly renovated dorm room advertised on their Facebook page so contacted the hotel by email to request this, was told that it shouldn't be a problem. Of course upon check in there was no interest in accommodating us in the requested rooms. I was eventually shown a range of rooms, but decided to stick with the room that we had been given - which was the same standard as our visit two years ago.

One kind gesture was that the hotel arranged, very quickly and short notice a complimentary cake for one of our party who was celebrating their wedding anniversary, This was really kind and appreciated. The advertised free wifi in rooms does not actually reach the rooms and I don't think there are any plans to change this.

The biggest concern for me was that a rat was seen in the double room (103). Given the 4,000 PHP per night charge I was very angry. I noticed that when staff are cleaning they are leaving the doors of the rooms open, even afterwards - so at street level this is a possibility. The hotel is near a swampy area with shanty houses nearby. The manager did arrange for us to move rooms and offered a generous dinner to apologise. This was duly appreciated and is the reason why I have mixed feelings about this hotel.

The gardens and pool area is wonderful, most of the staff are helpful and very polite. We spent a lot of additional money buying drinks from the bar and also arranged a massage at the hotel Spa as we did two years ago.

However, there are major building works going on next door, and this has not been advertised on the hotel website or anywhere else. We were woken with sounds of banging and drilling, which continued while we were in the pool, all day long and into the night. Even in the spa during our massage all I could hear was a construction site. As I explained to the manager, it is not enough to put a notice of apology in people's room. I would have cancelled and rebooked to a different hotel had I known about this in advance. I guess this is what they would like to avoid.

I wouldn't rule out coming back to the Boracay tropics. Their dorm room including breakfast is great value, the staff and manager is extremely approachable and friendly and I appreciated their many efforts. It is close enough to the beach, the drinks (even minibar) prices and prices for services like massage are fair and affordable and the tropical atmosphere is lovely.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends