“A gem in Boracay”

Ranked #25 of 145 Hotels in Boracay
Sydney, Australia
“A gem in Boracay”
Reviewed 22 July 2013

Booked three rooms for the family in July 2013 and was not disappointed with the hotel. All rooms very clean and made up each day. Bathroom was good except for the cold water showers. Staff were excellent and very attentive. I was amazed at how coordinated everything was. The hotel picked us up and took us back to Cagban Port in the hotel bus and coordinated themselves closely with SunTours so there were no hickups. We had a late flight back to Manila so after 12pm check out, Sur stored our bags until mid afternoon.

Breakfast was great and so was the set menu lunches and dinner - all well priced.

Loved the cabanas and the proximity to the bar. Deck chairs on the beach were a nice touch.

15 minute walk to Station 2 on the beach or 60 Php for two on the trike.

Hints - try the Kasbah Restaurant up the beach for great Moroccan food. SUR bar closes at 10pm so wander up to Discovery Shores' bar for a nightcap.

Will be back next year.

Room Tip: Get a room in 'A' block which is slightly closer to the beach.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
7 Thank Livingston27

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
Mandaluyong
Reviewed 17 July 2013 via mobile

I stayed in Boracay for 4days. We are not booked originally from this Hotel. However on our 2nd day we decided to tranfer to SUR because the hotel we originally booked cause us trouble and inconvinienced.

I'm really glad that we decided to transfer here. The people are so nice. Their front desk officer accomodated us and gave us a good deal. they even helped us transfer our luggages from the hotel we're moving from. KUDOS! To their staff. I can say that I had a good customer service experienced.

The location is perfect! The rate is fair! I love the cabanas. Their meal entrees were at budget.

I'll definetly go back here :)

• Stayed July 2013
6 Thank hopelessromantic09
Manila, Philippines
Reviewed 10 July 2013

The property of Sur Beach Resort resembles apartments in the beach. A rattan mat welcomes your entrance into the room. The room was a combination of white and brown: alls washed and floors tiled in white while the fixtures were done in lacquered brown gave me a sense of balance and lightness. The comforter wrapped around the bed was fluffy and made me want to stay in and snuggle. The resort advocates energy saving - signs reminding guests to turn off lights and a/c when not to be used; there is a sign inside the shower room saying that heater is solar powered so guests would have to wait a short while for the water to heat up. I haven't verified how this is done so should you decide to stay in Sur, be sure to ask about it :) The resort's small beachfront is a stone's throw away. Its location in Station 1 offers relative silence compared to Station 2, however there are still people walking the long stretch of sand. Food places are not as near but accessible by foot (about 15-20 minutes walk) or local transportation called tricycles (costs between PhP60-100, depending on distance). All in all, I'm quite satisfied with my stay in Sur and would come back with friends to stay here.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
5 Thank st0mpinggr0und
Banff, Canada
Reviewed 8 July 2013

Stayed here last January and I would say it was the best vacation I had in recent years. I missed the beach alot since I reside in the mountainous area of Canada. So I planned my trip pretty well. Staying in Sur beach resort completed my already perfect boracay experience. The Staff were friendly and they made me feel I was home away from home. Room rate was affordable considering it's located in station 1. I could not think of any negative comment during my entire stay (3 nights) and I would definitely go back if I had the chance. Cheers!!!

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
7 Thank Owenamantillo
Davao City, Davao City, Philippines
Reviewed 6 July 2013

Not all first times are excellent, but mine at Sur was indeed an exemption. The manager was so accommodating that she still could manage a tete-a-tete with the guests. Location-wise, Sur affords the tranquility the guests wanted; the music is moderate, the area is less crowded. The sumptuous food is another taste of excellence, served by courteous crew. The next time I visit Boracay, I will definitely stay at Sur.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
4 Thank Romel B
QC, Phils
Reviewed 27 June 2013

Before booking, my expectations were high, as this was one of the Station 1 hotels with high ratings in TripAdvisor. Truth to tell, this resort exceeded my expectations. :)

PROS:
- LOCATION! One of my requirements before I booked our stay is that it should be beachfront. Sur is located in Station 1, the quieter side of the beach where there is no loud music at night. It is ideal for couples spending their honeymoon in Boracay or those with kids in tow. They have cabanas right upfront (aside from the beach beds) where you can just leave your valuables and need not worry that they will get stolen.
- ROOMS! Our room was always made up and clean every time we got back from our activities. On our 2nd day, we just had breakfast by one of the cabanas by the beach and, when we got back, our beds were already made.
- PRICE! They have competitive rates, esp during the lean season (months of June to October).
- SAFETY! There is a guard-on-duty 24/7 so you feel safe. His station is near the cabanas and the beach beds so you need not worry about your valuables getting stolen. Also, vendors selling all kinds of stuff (from pearls, hats, sunglasses, food, etc.) cannot enter the Sur premises. This to me is an added bonus, as they have a high regard for their guests' safety.
- SERVICE! I almost did not believe the generous comments given by other contributors and, I knew I had to experience it for myself. Service was indeed topnotch. We had our share of experiences in other high-end hotels in Station 1 and, I can definitely say that service was comparable to the others where we had to shell out so much. I did not even have to ask for a glass of water after returning from the beach. The staff took the initiative of attending to your needs (like a simple glass of cold water, prepping up the cabanas without you asking, etc.). I just have to give it to their management for training their staff well. Based on my observation, the level of service is consistent whether you have booked a standard room or one of their suites. For me, this sets Sur apart from the other high-end resorts nearby.

CONS:
- ROOM! We booked a standard room and, being a bathroom freak, I honestly got a bit disappointed with the bathroom. Although the basics were there, there was no bidet. Bathroom is not worn down but, it is showing some signs of age.
- STAFF INQUIRY - When we are about to check out, we were asked about the beach towels that were given to us on our 2nd day. I have handed them to one of the attendants the previous day and, did not know that we had to surrender them to the guard on duty. After explaining this to the front-office staff, she acknowledged. However, I was asked again before we actually left the resort. I had to repeat my explanation and, although the inquiry was done in a polite manner, I couldn't help but think that they did not trust what I had said earlier.

Overall, I had an enjoyable stay at Sur. I have and will always recommend this resort to relatives and colleagues because of the level of service that I have received during my stay and, of course, because of its location. By far, this is definitely my #1 resort when staying in Boracay.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank MayaLauren
Davao City, Davao City, Philippines
Reviewed 26 June 2013

Sur Beach Resort in Boracay is awesome! My friends and I stayed 3 days in this place and we had real fun. The staff are friendly and foods are exquisite. The place is truly a home away from home. I felt comfortable staying in the resort cause it's cozy and clean. I'll surely bring my family to Sur the next time i visit Boracay.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends