“we'll definitely choose Sur again”
Review of Sur Beach Resort

Sur Beach Resort
Ranked #28 of 151 Hotels in Boracay
Reviewed 30 November 2013

We love everything about this resort:
- the size, which means there's just enough guests which means we were well taken cared of
- the delicious food and especially the breakfast buffet! plus on our last day we got up late but they called to inquired whether we were having breakfast because they were "closing the kitchen". we appreciated this because it shows concern... in other resorts the standard practice is just to close breakfast at the scheduled time
- the service, they made us feel very welcome
- the beach, it's away from the crowds and the sand there is better than in station 2

It was our first time in Boracay and we had a hard time choosing a hotel online. We're really glad we chose Sur and will choose Sur again on our next Boracay trip

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sandy_Star2012

Reviewed 25 November 2013

.. with that kind of unexpected treatment making my birthday very special on a (largely solo) vacation, I have to be a repeat customer!

If like me you were new to Boracay, choosing the right accommodation can be hard. Surfing the net, Boracay just seems to have tons of places at which to stay. And it's true. Boracay has an array of big and small accomms, expensive and budget. However, on the whole, I thought prices are higher than what one should be paying. Having visited friends staying in various Boracay resorts (meeting at one another's hotels for sundowners was a favourite activity), I've found accommodation in Boracay to be largely basic, even for the more expensive (more than USD120/night per room) places. Guess hotels charge premium for the famous Boracay experience.

Sur does not depart in this regard. Rooms aren't fancy. Adequately sized, but no means huge. Hot shower and AC work, but no frills. No lifts, so older travellers who don't want to walk up stairs may want to avoid or ask for ground floor rooms. Breakfast (and any food ordered from the restaurant) won't be anything to write home about. Wifi was a major irritation - it was extremely hard to connect anywhere except standing right in front of the reception counter. Also, it is not a major problem, but on weekends, the resort adjacent to Sur becomes beach party central, blaring dance music from 4pm to around 10pm.

The best thing about Sur is the location - the pristine white sand beach of Station 1 (and cabanas and deck chairs on the beach) is right in front of the hotel restaurant. And bordering the white sand beach, the clear, warm, azure, clean sea. Everyday I had relaxing 2 or 3 hour massages in the cabanas, on the beach (400 pesos per hour for an oil massage, 500 pesos for 45-min coconut scrub). My therapist Titing has 10 years of masseuse experience, sometimes working also at the more upmarket Bluewater & Fairways golf resort in Boracay. Sure, Station 2 is where all the food and bars are, but the beach there gets a lot of human traffic and the sand and the sea isn't as quite and clean as Station 1, which is about a 15 min walk away.

The other plus about Sur is their friendly staff. I think Filipinos are just friendly but Sur staff have never been rude or unhelpful. I also enjoyed talking to Trisha the manager, who frequently attends to guests in an understated but calming way. Best of all, when the staff learned it was my birthday they very kindly surprised me (during my massage) with a lovely cake and song. Thoroughly made my birthday, which I appreciated greatly.

Given the lovely staff, and the great Station 1 location/beach, Sur is a pretty good choice.

However, if you want off beaten path, and away from White Sand Beach, the sunset views at Diniwid Beach are lovely. So one of the Diniwid Beach cove-style resorts could be a possible good alternative, if you don't mind the further distance away from the food and nightlife of Station 2.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank SinyeeKoh
Reviewed 4 November 2013

My family and I stayed at Sur Beach Resort this past May 2013 and we could not have asked for a better experience! From the moment we stepped on their property till we left, we were treated like a royal family. They had very friendly, competent, and hospitable staff who consistently went out of their way to make sure we were well taken care of. Any special requests we made, they made sure they could find a way to accommodate them. They truly made us feel special and important. The rooms were very clean, spacious, comfortable, and relaxed and were all just a few steps away from the powder white sands of Boracay. Sur is conveniently located in the most prestigious part of Boracay which is Station 1, so you will get the best Boracay has to offer by choosing to stay here. Their complimentary breakfast buffet is second to none as they provide a wide variety of delicious classic Filipino and American breakfast food that you will love. For lunch and dinner, they also serve first class food with generous portions at very reasonable prices. Our stay there was truly an unforgettable experience filled with a lifetime of memories we will treasure forever. I highly recommend Sur Beach Resort to anyone whether you're on your honeymoon, by yourself, with friends or bringing the whole family. I can assure you they will give you the best world class experience that you could ever hope for.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
5  Thank Alvin C
Reviewed 31 October 2013

The service, location, food, athmosphere were all great! what more can you ask for when you are in Boracay Island for a vacation & relaxation. Definitely, another reason for me to return to Boracay is Sur..

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
9  Thank Pat42775
Reviewed 30 October 2013

Nice beach front hotel in station 1. The room is clean and big. The toilet is small. But it is good enough.The free breakfast is good. And the price of the resort is very reasonable. If you want to go to station two you can ride a tricycle.we will definitely go back. We enjoyed our stay here.

6  Thank lovely082
Reviewed 29 October 2013

It was worth the wait after five years that I finally brought my family to Boracay including my parents. Perfect beachfront with cozy rooms and excellent service best exemplifies Sur Beach Resort. My kids definitely enjoyed the beach and their breakfast buffet were awesome. An ideal family beach resort. Thank you Sur for fulfilling my lore am family vacation.

2  Thank Bates B
Reviewed 19 October 2013

A very great place to stay when you are in paradise, you get your moneys worth and more, the food is great, everything is accessible, night life is great, this is very near to where all the happenings in this paradise is, the market is near, i have nothing to say but good praises to this place, higky recommended!!!

2  Thank David D