“Accidentally Lucky - Great Place!” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #206 of 295 Restaurants in Boracay
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Boracay, Philippines
“Accidentally Lucky - Great Place!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 February 2014

The family and I went to Din-Iwid Beach to watch the sunset. We neglected to get cash on the way, so we found ourselves having to find a location that accepted credit/debit cards, which proved to be none too easy!

In fact, not a single place on the beach in Din-Iwid would accept credit cards, so we took the walk around the point down to the top of Station One.

We had no idea where we wanted to eat, so we walked through the paths up to Spider House, Monkey House, Mama's Fish House (not the same place as #1 Mama's on TripAdvisor), and toward West Cove, but didn't really find anything that appealed to us.

We worked our way back down the maze of stairs, and back toward Station One. At the edge of the point, we found a restaurant with two young waiters who enthusiastically wanted to fill a table. We engaged them, reviewed the menu, and asked about Happy Hour and SML pricing. They had a 2-for-1 Happy Hour on SML, which gave us two beers for 80p.

Then, we came to the most difficult question of the evening, "Do you accept credit cards?" They were not sure, but I handed them my card, and they went to ask the cashier. We received an affirmative answer, and sat at a table.

They had a Valentine's Day promotion ongoing, with meals for two ranging from 1,200p to 2,300p. That sounded pretty good, but after reviewing the menu, we felt that we could do even better ordering ala carte.

I ordered SML (of course), and it arrived semi-cold, but without a glass. I asked for a cold glass without ice. I received a rocks glass with ice. OK, slight communication gap, but normal for here. I made the glass cold, emptied the ice, and poured my beer. So far, so good.

The menu has a pretty good selection of food, and it is broken-down nicely by category (e.g. Beef, Chicken, Fish, Salads, etc.).

My bride decided that she would have the Chop Suey (195p, US $4.35) and also ordered Mushroom Soup (80p, US $1.80) for our little guy (He's a big mushroom fan). I opted for the Filet Mignon with Mashed Potatoes and Vegetables (400p, US $8.95) and the Chicken Caesar Salad (190p, US $4.25).

The soup and salad came out first. Dudelet and Mama enjoyed the soup, and I gave the salad a strong effort. Mama helped a little bit. The salad was easily enough for two people, so if you order that, you may want to share it as a couple. The soup was built for one person.

We had a friendly cat at our table, and he got most of the chicken from the salad. The chicken was good, but I think the cat needed it more than did I.

The waiters graciously waited until I was on my last couple of bites on the salad to bring out the entrees. My wife thought that the entrees took a long time, since hers should have been easy to prepare. I reminded her that it is proper to bring all entrees at once, although in most Filipino establishments, you typically receive each item as it is finished in the kitchen. That can be quite annoying.

She was surprised at the size and quality of the ingredients in her chop suey. She especially liked the baby corn, as most places neglect that item in the recipe, due to cost concerns. My filet mignon came bacon-wrapped. The potatoes were almost too well mashed in that they were almost creamy. At first glance, I was concerned that they may have been reconstituted (i.e. dried potato flakes), but upon tasting, I knew that they were from fresh potatoes. The vegetable portion was a little bit small, but after that huge salad, I really didn't care.

The cat had a little bit of the filet, and gave it four paws up!

I ordered my filet medium-rare and it came out medium-well. It was good, but a little bit on the tough side. Mama was perfectly delighted with her meal.

Service fell-off sharply, once we had ordered. Even though the place was not busy (the bar had a table of six drinkers and one couple sat at the table next to us), finding a waiter when needed was difficult. At one point, I sent my son to the bar to get me a beer (he's two years and ten months' old, and he is one of the best bartenders on the island!).

During the meal, I would have preferred a steak knife, but after the entrees were delivered, I never saw a waiter again until I flagged one down to give me the check.

We had occasion to use the men's CR. It was clean, but the floor was wet. Unfortunately, this wasn't apparent to me until after I pulled-up my shorts. Oops.

All-in-all, we were happy with our visit here. They have some glaring places for improvement, but it shouldn't take much to fix these issues.

A band started playing just after we were seated, and the music was too loud for dining. They switched to a recorded music program after that, which was at a comfortable level. When the band started again, later, the volume level was more appropriate.

I had a hard time when trying to find this restaurant to review on TripAdvisor. Apparently, they are not listed. Making things more difficult is the fact that I remember seeing a sign that said 7107 Islands Restaurant, the receipt said "Boracay Terraces Restaurant," and the bar had a sign that said, "Baroto Bar."

The deck is also called, "Damgu Restaurant," and the roof deck is "Langit Roof Deck." None of these names was in the TripAdvisor database.

This is a great place to eat, with a beautiful view, low-cost food of good quality, and so-so service. We will definitely be back, and we would recommend that you give it a try also.

Happy Valentine's Day!

• 5 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Brad P

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
MALAYSIA
“Satisfies Your Other Senses Besides Taste”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 January 2013 via mobile

We had dinner at this beachfront restaurant 2nights in a row. Service is top notch, besides preparing scrumptous western& Phillipino dishes in a great environment,the live solo performance churned out some fantastic entertainment in drawing more customer. We were only dissapointed with the Buko ice,only tasted milky& sweetness was overwhelming, otherwise every part of our visit has a memorable positive note.

Auckland, New Zealand
“Awful restaurant”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 December 2012

Did not stay here but just ate a couple of times and visited friends. Rooms were spacious but dated. The resto was awful. Caesar salad was yuckk. Croutons were deep fried with oil basically oozing. When i followed up on my grilled chicken, as it was taking a long time, the waitress apologetically informed me that the chef wants to cook it longer because it was still full of blood!!!!
Locatiom though is good if you want to be a bit isolated from the craziness of station 2.

1 Thank TonyFNewZealand