“Sandbags for beach but ok hotel”

Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Boracay
Ranked #21 of 146 Hotels in Boracay
Singapore
“Sandbags for beach but ok hotel”
Reviewed 16 April 2008

I stayed at Discovery Shores before coming to Microtel. I know I should have done Microtel first before Discovery Shores but they did not have rooms. So.... of course, it's always a letdown when you have to downgrade. Hahaha..

Microtel has a non-existence entrance from the "road", you can barely see it among the construction next door and village huts. I booked a suite but the room they gave me was horrible. I think it was room 127. It has a terrace with broken stones, absolutely no view and a terrible musky smell. It was really bad. I went to complained and got us another room, not a suite but at least it smells clean and faces the sea. They did not give me a refund for the difference in rates, claiming the second room was a "premium double". I did not bother to argue.

The "beach" in front of the Microtel is nonexistent. It has a row of sandbags to keep the waters at bay, even at low tide, the water is right up to the sandbags. As a result, no beach whatsoever. And dirty scum and debris sometimes float there. Further to the left, about 2mins walk is diniwid beach, much rougher than white beach. Frankly, after white beach, with it's silky sand, shallow and pristine waters, I cant be bothered with Diniwid Beach.

The swimming pool is tiny and really quite uninteresting. The restuarant serves mediocre food. When I ordered coffee, I got a cup of hot water with a satchet each of Nescafe instant coffee, creamer and sugar ($1.50). And true to it's motel chain roots, they dont provide any toiletries beyond soap. You get your own ice at the front desk and you pay for everything, from water to internet access etc. The much-advertised bed is decent, cant complain but nothing to rave abiut either.

The Microtel is really a motel masquerading as a resort. I paid about $130 for my "suite". I cant say it's a bad price for Boracay but I rather pay more and stay at White Beach, because that's what I am there for - gorgeous beach, not a sandbagged one.

Oh, the 3 nights we were there, we experience blackouts over 2 nights. The power just went out, leaving us in the dark in our rooms. Happened about 2-3 times a night. The staff got the power back on within 10-15mins, but still, not something that should happen so regularly.

Microtel is about 10min shuttle to d'mall, which means you are dependent on the shuttle to get anywhere. It's a little too far to walk to Station 2.

The only bright spark for Microtel is it's staff. It's a friendly and helpful team they have got there. They are not the best-trained but they do try their best to help.

If I head to Boracay again, I am definitely staying on White Beach, it's just a lot nicer and more convenient. I would give Microtel a miss. A resort is a lot more than being on a beach, having a restaurant, a pool and beach chairs.

• Liked — Friendly staff
  • Disliked — Location, no sandy beach
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled as a couple
5 Thank wondrdoggie

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Manila
Reviewed 14 April 2008

We searched the internet for good hotels around station 1 and 2, but since it was summer season, most of the hotels we wanted were fully booked or can not accomodate such a big group of 10. We saw the website of Microtel, and their service was great. Manila Booking office was very helpful in helping us get a great deal since my family and my sister's family totals 10. We were fetched on time and staff were friendly. We were able to get around because Microtel provides free shuttle service from the hotel to D'Mall area in station 2. This is were the action, fun, shops and restaurants are located. The problem was that the location is quite far from the main white beach. We were 10 jampacked into their van and summer is quite humid and hot. It takes around 20 minutes to reach D'Mall and the van is not airconditioned. We can smell the fumes of the tricycles too. So for first timers, I would suggest that you get hotel accomodation that is located in either station 1 or 2. Eventhough you have to pay more for it, it would be worth the travel time.

Regarding the beach front that is advertised by Microtel, I don't know why their beach front is that way. It is steep and inorder to prevent the sand from eroding, they have placed sandbags on it. It definitely does not look nice. Eventhough it was far, we can walk from the beach front of Microtel to Station 1 and station 2. Some parts are cemented walkways to enable the tourists to travel from beach to beach. Although it is tiring, you are able to see all the nice hotels and resorts along the way, like Fridays and Discovery Shores. Microtel is located at Diniwid Beach, and beside it, is Nami Resort. It is an experience to go up their elevator. The food is great at Nami Resort. We also went to Spider Cove, you have to pass thru a cave. Go there for the experience, but not the food. Its terrible. There is a way to just walk over to the other resorts, because they are interconnected along the shore line. Microtel food is just ordinary. We tried Boracay Steak House at Station 2, and it is truly delicious. Food at Andok's is reasonably priced and delicious too.
Microtel has no ref in most standard rooms, but drinking water and ice , you can get at the ground floor. They also provide 24 hours free coffee and tea.

Microtel chiropractic beds are really comfortable. But are the rooms clean ? It might look clean on the surface, but I killed a big cockcroach in our bathroom on our 2nd day. I would suggest that Microtel personnel be trained to really do the proper way of cleaning and sanitizing the rooms and toilets. My sister saw the bath towels being used to dry the toilet floors. Don't they have rugs for that purpose ? The supervisor replied that the girl was an "OJT" on the job trainee. And she also was folding the new towels on the sink, before placing them on the towel rack !! Are these industry practices ? We must remember to always bring our own towels next time we travel.

Anyway, we had a great vacation. Its not only the hotel, but the fun company that your are with, coupled with a sense of adventure that makes a perfect vacation. We definitely will go back to Boracay, with its oh so powdery white sand beaches.

• Liked — Good Service
  • Disliked — Too far from the main white beach
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank NomadgirlManila
manila
Reviewed 5 April 2008

Microtel was great! I with my family stayed in there for 6 days.. I have two daughters (teenagers) and they really enjoyed the location for it was in the beach front. But one of my daughters compliments about the location sometimes for it was too far from the bars and I would not let them( my 2 daughters) go to have a gimmick at night for the bars are far and the road is not lit up.. we also enjoyed the breakfast at the hotel and my spouse really enjoyed the free shuttle (basically because she doesn't want taking long walks). For me, Microtel is great if you want a relaxing getaway (like me!), but if all you want to do is to drink from the bars, maybe.. don't expect it from the Microtel.

• Liked — the rooms are comfortable and the location is nice..very romantic!
  • Disliked — sometimes also the location for it is too far from the downtown..
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank mamats_laklimz
Doha, Qatar
Reviewed 1 April 2008

The hotel is average. It is a 10 minute walk down to White beach (not miles from anywhere) though after dark you have to catch the free hotel shuttle to get to any nightlife. It is clean but there are few facilities.

Annoyingly the free breakfast is awful. It is annoying because the cafe next door serves nice breakfasts and is owned by same person who owns the hotel but you have to pay US$6 each at the cafe for what should be the same breakfast as the hotel.

Microtel doesn't actually have a beach, just sand bags leading down to the water, and supporting the property which is quite close to the water.

The security guards are a bit overzealous too.

This hotel is adequate to stay in if booking late and if you're willing to accept a clean but basic hotel. If I had the choice and had booked earlier, I'd have gone to Fridays. (or even Nami next to Microtel which is also nicer)

• Stayed March 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank LSBHK
manchester
Reviewed 22 March 2008

Not really impressed...the hotel is located miles from anywhere with nothing else around the hotel apart from run down houses,there is a hotel shuttle bus but it takes at least 15mins to get into town, the journey being down a painfully potholed unlit dirt track...the pool is small but ok and the hotel has a nice beach frontage..the food and rooms are average,but there isnt much to do in the evenings at all..this hotel is ok but if you can find a similarly priced hotel in the centre of Boracay you would be better choosing this option...steve from manchester

• Liked — beach frontage
  • Disliked — miles away from anywhere
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled with family
3 Thank Melbsteve
TAIPEI, TAIWAN
Reviewed 28 January 2008

Microtel is a fantastic place!
I stayed at Microtel with my families and we all loved it...The staff are friendly & excellent! It's a nice place to relax as it's very quite.
Microtel offers a free shuttle service. This is a great service & basically goes when you want to go or get picked up to return to the hotel.
If you are looking for an affordable priced stay within high quality and service, I would highly recommend Microtel on Boracay.

• Stayed January 2008, travelled with family
2 Thank ChouChingMei
Manila
Reviewed 9 January 2008

Went there for a family vacation this Christmas season and not knowing what to expect of Boracay's other beaches aside from the famous Long beach, I was pleasantly surprised that Diniwid Beach offered something none of the more expensive hotels along that more popular stretch could offer - Privacy (and with that, I should add security too). Staying at Microtel turned-out to be a great decision. The beach was ok. It had a steeper slope but if your kids know how to swim then it wouldn't be any problem. We had 3 young kids who actually liked the pool more because it was kid friendly. What the hotel offered was security for the guests, making it possible for us to leave our stuff on the beach while we went exploring, knowing some beach security guy would keep an eye on them for us. Long Beach's southern tip was just 100 meters away, which is accesible by walking around a scenic cemented path carved out of the rocks. The food is nothing to rave about but it wasn't bad either. The breakfast buffet was better than Ponderosa but you shouldn't expect an extensive spread. The menu is limited but hey, Boracay offers lots of great restaurants so go out and explore! The service is excellent! If you are looking for the best hotel in Bora for a family with young kids, look no further. If you want people -watching and and easy access to Bora's night life, stay at The Tides.

• Liked — the security and privacy of the beach
  • Disliked — far from the restaurants
  • Stayed December 2007, travelled with family