“Not as nice as expected” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Discovery Shores Boracay

Discovery Shores Boracay
Ranked #4 of 150 Hotels in Boracay
Sunnyvale, California
“Not as nice as expected”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 October 2013

Pros: Great transfers, very nice beach, pool- and beach-side service

Cons: Much pricier than other properties, location too far from D.Mall and anything else going on, breakfast buffet was sub-par, lack of privacy

Simply stated, I wanted to try this hotel since it was supposed to be one of "the best" based on the ratings here, my girlfriend wanted to try Boracay Regency since she's a local and had heard many good things about that property. We spent one night at each property, and while I expected to have a much better experience at Discovery Shores, we didn't.

You arrive in a parking area and are greeted by an agent who walks you directly to your room. No lobby. Our room was pretty nice, and the welcome foot wash was as well (though longer foot massages cost $2-3 in the Philippines). The bed was dead center in the middle of the room, and faced a large bank of windows at pool level. This felt pretty exposed, so we drew all of the shades. All of the common areas are outside - restaurant, concierge station, lounge - so this can get pretty steamy on hot days. The WiFi was very poor and dropped frequently. The poolside chairs are great, but the food and drinks are priced very high. The Spa was even worse - again, everything comparative to what else is available locally. 3,000 php for a 1-hour service that costs 250-400 php at dozens of places just a short walk away is very, very hard to justify, even if it's amazing.

After relaxing and swimming, we got ready for dinner and walked the beach. There are a few places here and there, but it's nothing like the D.Mall area at Station 2. For our tastes, we really missed the amount of food choices, shops, and vibrant activity, so we walked all the way back to the hotel and took the transfer down to D.Mall anyway.

The next morning, I was excited for breakfast since we'd had a seriously great buffet at the Regency and hadn't yet eaten at Discovery Shores. It was very sub-par, both in quality and choice (not even any mango juice, practically a staple there!), and we were both disappointed.

The transfer back to the airport was awesome. They do a great job shepherding you every step of the way - van ride to their private ferry boat, meeting you at the airport, and even having an agent walk you through security and help you get your tickets and go up to the private "lounge" (just a room with a few couches and a TV in the gate area; still, nice when it's included). Ironically the experience leaving was the high point of our stay.

To me, this property seems perfect for a) couples who want a quiet and secluded getaway, b) people who want every detail of their transfers taken care of in style, and c) those who just want to lay on a beach and swim, doing little else.

Personally, I would not stay at Discovery Shores on my next trip to Boracay when there are properties in better locations, with better and cheaper food, for a third of the price.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Matt C

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (234)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 October 2013

Firstly - I am always disappointed to hear travelers complaining about petty little things. How spoiled are we travelers when we can't see what is being offered to us when it is so far about their standard of living. We get to share their beautiful beaches, wonderful food, the sand, the scenery, the warm climate, the efforts of the people to give us safety and hospitality. We have just returned from 7 days at Discovery Shores and we were highly impressed with the service, quality of food, cleanliness and above all the genuine care and service by the staff. Not everything was perfect during our stay but I have never walked on more beautiful sand, swam in such clean water, had my beach cleaned and raked every morning (even in typhoon weather were the storms brought in debris) and never have I been showered with so much genuinely pleasant service and accommodation by people. This is a boutique style resort which is lovely and unique situated on one of the most beautiful beaches in the world. What a wonderful experience. Yes it was a little pricey but I have spent more in Costa Rica where you can not be on the beach after 5 pm for safety reasons. In Boracay the beach was alive and happy and full of people till late into the night with no concern for our safety. A person could walk for miles on the beach and choose from one of hundreds of restaurants and eat wonderful fresh food from all over the world for a fraction of the cost paid in most restaurants in North America. Fish and sea food caught in the morning can be cooked for you fresh at your choice of dozens of restaurants. Absolutely fabulous experience - we will return. Thank you to Jigs and Gen who really made our experience special although it must be said that all the staff were exceptional service wise. One suggestion: because this is a small resort, when there is a major event (banquet dinner, wedding etc. the set up will be lovely but it will mostly consume the main social areas of the resort. Be sure to ask about this before you make your booking as it does affect your use of the common areas)

Room Tip: All rooms face in toward the resort which runs perpendicular to the beach. View of sea from balco...
Irvine, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 October 2013

My entire family of 5 adults and 4 children stayed at the Discovery Shores for 5 nights in October,Great experience and great family fun. Superb accommodation and faultless service. Breakfast buffet also second to none. Would recommend this treasure highly.

Room Tip: We had three rooms - all of great quality!
1 Thank patriot357
Manila
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 October 2013

Discovery Shores is the best on White Beach if you want quintessential Boracay but with more comfort and luxury. Large junior suite, nice smelling linens, good service, fair breakfast. Staff is courteous and brisk even during this off season. Everything works just so one has a smooth experience, but don’t expect to be wowed.

To nitpick I mentioned if possible to have a special anniversary message for the hubby but there was none upon arrival. They asked if I am willing to pay for a cake P1200++. I asked for mangoes, and they gave one piece fruit with two days to ripen. I’ll be home in two days.

Price-wise Shangrila offers the same package with more value in terms of room and resort quality, but it is far from the Boracay action. Discovery is good for a weekend just to relax, swim on the famed beach and take in the whole Bora experience.

1 Thank mainevent
Macau, China
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 October 2013

My first time to Boracay and I came with my 13 yr old daughter. Our flight to Caticlan was canceled and we had to take another plane to Kalibo. Do not fly to Kalibo, 90 minute bus ride on a road with a lot of curves. Not the hotels fault but I called the resort when I found out and they had someone meet me in Kalibo to let my know the staff would be waiting in Caticlan. They were and that was nice because it was 10pm. They hired a boat to bring us across the bay. They had a shuttle bring us to the hotel. They had a welcome drink as we arrived, walked us to the room and checked us in the suite. Great service the entire 3 night stay. Room service was good, we both enjoyed breakfast in the outdoor café each morning. My only complaint was that there were a lot of flies, they need to work on this. We loved staying at the resort and lounges on the beach. The attendants were great, good service and watched our stuff while we went in the water. They helped arrange a 2 hour snorkeling trip on day for us which was fun. We took the shuttle each night to the D mall for supplies and dinner. The room was very nice but I thought the couch was not that comfortable. The Wifi was hit and miss, driving my daughter nuts! They need to work on this. Out on the beach the wifi worked better! We would stay again but it is pricey so I wonder what the difference is if we paid half that price as most resorts were charging? You are paying for great service and they did deliver.

Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 October 2013

As our package includes boat & land transfers to/from Caticlan airport, I have tried to check with Discovery Shores if they can accommodate transfer from Caticlan on different days as we stayed in 2 other hotels in Boracay before we come to Discovery Shores. But unfortunately we were turned down as they can only stick to the transfer dates during our stay in Discovery Shores.

Felt disappointed initially as the charges at Discovery Shores is expensive and we expect top notch service, however my experience became a pleasant one when I arrived. Was greeted with a nice pandan juice as welcome drink and a welcome lace (exclusively by Discovery Shores). One of the staff requested for my credit card and charged PHP2500. According to him, this amount is "blocked" in my credit card and will be refunded after check out. Hopefully I do not get a shock with my credit card bill next month.

As we arrived before check in time, they brought us to an area near the breakfast restaurant to rest while they get the suite ready for us. We then ventured into the children's play room where there are toys and cartoons available for the kids. When the suite is ready, the polite staffs then brought us up to the suite with our luggage already there waiting for us. The suite was modern looking and is relatively big, and the bed was very comfortable, very clean and A/C working very well. The room can actually accomodate up to 5 adults as it comes with 2 queen sized beds with an additional sofa-bed like area.

We were again greeted with welcome drink (pandan juice), welcome snacks (cakes and pastries nicely decorated), and a in-suite food massage. The room comes with complimentary wifi, with relatively good speeds. Magazines and books are available in the room if you feel bored. The suite also comes with coffee maker and TWININGS tea. One of the staffs delivered complimentary snacks to our room during late afternoon which is a nice touch.

Discovery Shores had complimentary in house van transfers to/from Discovery Shores to Station 1 to Station 3. This was very useful for guests who needed to travel around for food/shopping since Station 1 is a more quiet area as compared to Station 2.

Swimming pool is quite small but had a mini bar by the pool for guests to relax and have a drink while you swim. The swimming pool was also water heated with a jacuzzi right beside it. Breakfast variety is good.

Discovery Shores has their own in house lounge where u can laze around and relax for the whole day. The beach area is relatively quiet and have a sense of privacy for their guests.

After checking out from Discovery Shores, we were transferred to Caticlan with Discovery Shores in house high speed boat. You get what you pay for.. Service is top notch and I will come back again

1 Thank Babyface8887
China
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 October 2013

We’ve just returned from a 5 nights stay at this resort. It was our 4th visit to Boracay in as many years and thought we'd splurge more than usual for our 'babymoon'.

Overall, the experience was inconsistent. Things were often over-the-top, or lacking and for a supposed 5* resort (with high price tag to boot), it's just not good enough.

Booking/payment before arrival - we have NEVER had to prepay hotel accommodation before. Didn't like that. The requests for copies of ID etc was also too much. Their website online payment seemed to only work with Internet Explorer browser, after trying several times before getting it to work.

Rooms - modern, clean, spacious. Private balcony overlooking pool was nice. Coffee machine supplied but quality of coffee was not good. Shower area should have a non-slip mat (husband fell over on soapy tiles and now has large bruise). Free desserts and cookies on arrival, and evening turn down sweets were appreciated.

Beach area - we liked the double sized lounges. There were plenty for guests to enjoy. Beach attendants periodically offered free canapes, jugs of iced water and sunglasses cleaning. It was nice how the security guards brought sand toys out for the young kids to enjoy. They also made it feel safe to leave belongings on lounges while paddling in the ocean. On less windy days, we were able to put up umbrellas to protect us from the sun. Some relaxing background music played throughout the day and its a great spot to watch the sunset. Jigs (beach attendant) was very good at his job.

Amenities - kids club, pool table, swimming pool, Jacuzzi and gym available. I did not use the spa services as no prenatal massage was advertised.

Drinks/bar - 4pm - 7pm happy hour was good as local bottle beers, mojitos and some others were 2 for 1. Pregnant ladies/non drinkers are recommended to try the (generously sized) mango (or other) fruit shakes made with fresh fruit, which are similar to a daquiri, but with no booze :) Some barmen kept the bottle beers fridge too cold and several beers froze over (thus undrinkable) when lime was added.

Service - people were friendly, but the millions of "hello sir/maam" and "my pleasure sir/maam" (with hand always held over their heart! ) each day was too much and made us feel awkward.

Food - The head chef really needs to scale down the al-a-carte menu! They're trying hard to cater for all nationalities palates and the list is extensive. However, as we found quite often, many items listed on the menu were in fact "not available". In one sitting, my husband and I had to re-order 3x as what we'd requested was again, "not available." Quality is better than quantity and the kitchen should always have ingredients on hand if it's listed on the menu!!

Breakfast buffet was included but a mixed bag. Pancakes, noodle soup and fresh cooked egg stations were good. Dairy products (cheese, milk, yoghurt) were placed on a glass shelf above (not in) ice, so were not as cold as they should be. Fruit and cold cut meats the same.

Transfers - before arrival, we were told our flight was arriving at Kalibo, not Caticlan and we'd have to pay extra. This was untrue and the staff had not read our forwarded itinerary correctly.Not a good first impression! Thankfully, this was amended before our arrival. A car picked us up from airport but we had to wait 20 mins+ for the resort boat to collect us from pier. There was an awkward (formal and unnecessary) announcement by a boat attendant before we were given cold towels, cookies and water. The departure transfer was a different experience. It was speedy but no water or other freebies were offered despite it being hot in the boat and airport. We also felt it unnecessary, awkward and over-the-top to have someone do the airport check-in for us and to have them walk us through security just so we found the Discovery Shores guest "lounge" OK. We're capable of doing this ourselves, thanks! The airport "lounge" is just a separate room to wait in, with a tv and sofas. That's it. No water, coffee, newspapers or other nice treats to end the discovery shores experience.

It was a nice few days in the sun, but don't think we'll return to Discovery Shores because of its inconsistency, and high price tag, for what we'd rate as a 3.5* resort.

1 Thank kam2350