Pros: Great transfers, very nice beach, pool- and beach-side service
Cons: Much pricier than other properties, location too far from D.Mall and anything else going on, breakfast buffet was sub-par, lack of privacy
Simply stated, I wanted to try this hotel since it was supposed to be one of "the best" based on the ratings here, my girlfriend wanted to try Boracay Regency since she's a local and had heard many good things about that property. We spent one night at each property, and while I expected to have a much better experience at Discovery Shores, we didn't.
You arrive in a parking area and are greeted by an agent who walks you directly to your room. No lobby. Our room was pretty nice, and the welcome foot wash was as well (though longer foot massages cost $2-3 in the Philippines). The bed was dead center in the middle of the room, and faced a large bank of windows at pool level. This felt pretty exposed, so we drew all of the shades. All of the common areas are outside - restaurant, concierge station, lounge - so this can get pretty steamy on hot days. The WiFi was very poor and dropped frequently. The poolside chairs are great, but the food and drinks are priced very high. The Spa was even worse - again, everything comparative to what else is available locally. 3,000 php for a 1-hour service that costs 250-400 php at dozens of places just a short walk away is very, very hard to justify, even if it's amazing.
After relaxing and swimming, we got ready for dinner and walked the beach. There are a few places here and there, but it's nothing like the D.Mall area at Station 2. For our tastes, we really missed the amount of food choices, shops, and vibrant activity, so we walked all the way back to the hotel and took the transfer down to D.Mall anyway.
The next morning, I was excited for breakfast since we'd had a seriously great buffet at the Regency and hadn't yet eaten at Discovery Shores. It was very sub-par, both in quality and choice (not even any mango juice, practically a staple there!), and we were both disappointed.
The transfer back to the airport was awesome. They do a great job shepherding you every step of the way - van ride to their private ferry boat, meeting you at the airport, and even having an agent walk you through security and help you get your tickets and go up to the private "lounge" (just a room with a few couches and a TV in the gate area; still, nice when it's included). Ironically the experience leaving was the high point of our stay.
To me, this property seems perfect for a) couples who want a quiet and secluded getaway, b) people who want every detail of their transfers taken care of in style, and c) those who just want to lay on a beach and swim, doing little else.
Personally, I would not stay at Discovery Shores on my next trip to Boracay when there are properties in better locations, with better and cheaper food, for a third of the price.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Discovery Shores Boracay, a sprawling beachfront property located on the unspoilt shores of Boracay Island in the Philippines, is the first luxury resort built in this majestic region. Apart from its spacious 87 all suite guestrooms and the highly-acclaimed Terra Wellness Spa overlooking the beach, Discovery Shores' facilities include the Sands Restaurant, Indigo Restaurant, Platitos, Sandbar beach bar, Sandbox kiddie lounge, a swimming pool, recreation room, an events hall and a gym. Discovery Shores is one of five properties of The Discovery Leisure Company's portfolio of distinctive hotels and resorts, and is a member of Preferred Hotels and Resorts Lifestyle Collection. The resort embodies the hallmark of the Discovery brand: personalized and innovative service dispensed round-the-clock. Guests are guaranteed an unsurpassed level of quality, service and luxury. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Odigeo, Expedia and Agoda so you can book your Discovery Shores Boracay reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Discovery Shores Boracay Hotel Boracay
- Discovery Shores Hotel Boracay
- Boracay Discovery Shores Hotel