Discovery Shores Boracay
US$94
bedfinder
  • Breakfast included
Seabird International Resort(Boracay)(Great Value!)
US$86
TravelBook.ph
  • Beachfront
  • Pool
  • Pool
1,497 results
All reviewspandan waterindigo restaurantfoot washevian waterfoot massagejunior suitecaticlan airportturn down servicecold towelsbreakfast buffetlittle thingsboat ridewhite beachfree shuttle serviceprivate boatbeach barjetty port
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 9 September 2010

Discovery Shores is located on station 3, the most well kept and upscale part of the beach, however it is only a few minutes walk away from the beach nightlife. The sand here is very clean and raked a few times a day, unlike farther down the beach where the quality deteriorates.
Service is outstanding, activities were booked with care and my birthday and anniversary were remembered by decorating the room with rose pedals and candles. Also they brought a bottle of wine, fruit and cheese and a birthday cake.
The amenities are new and very well kept. Food was also very good.
All in all discovery shores is a perfect place to relax on boracays white beaches and baby blue waters.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 August 2010

I love Boracay. It doesnt have to offer a lot for me to love the island. The hotel is very nice. People are so accommodating. Some of the staff spent an afternoon with me teaching me how to deal with local manggaganchos, LOL!

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 27 August 2010

Scroll down a bit and you'll see a recent review I posted about our stay at Discovery Shores last April 2010. It wasn't exactly a glowing review (my family was rather disappointed with the service we had experienced back then) but it was my 25th birthday last week and I needed a getaway and flying off to Boracay was the easiest choice. And despite the not-so-perfect experience we had with Discovery Shores last time, we honestly couldn't think of anywhere else we'd rather stay at for my birthday so we decided to stay with them again.

And it was a decision I do not regret one bit. I don't know if it was just the fact that they had way more guests than they could handle during our summer visit, but this time, service was just impeccable.

From the minute we arrived to the second we got off the Discovery Shores boat on our way back to the airport, the staff at Discovery Shores truly went out of their way to make sure we had a grand time.

Jigs (1/2 of our favorite pool/beach butler tandem along with Rex) was back!! We found out that he was in a motorbike accident back in April which is why we didn't see him the whole time we were there back then. We're glad he's okay now and back at Discovery Shores since he really is the best pool/beach butler they have over there. Sincere hospitality and service that's all heart -- they are the epitome of this. Jigs & Rex bent over backwards to spoil us during our stay -- cooling spritzers brought to our sunbeds when they see us sunburnt already, plates of cookies and a snocone for our little boy every morning and afternoon since they knew it was the little boy's favorite, and there was even one gloomy afternoon when Jigs came out with a pot of chamomile tea and a plate of freshly-baked oatmeal raisin cookies for me, to cheer me up despite the bad weather. How sweet is that??!

Bottom line is, with Jigs back and I guess with the slow season setting in, it seems like the staff at Discovery Shores has gotten their groove back! Of course, I still believe that service should remain consistent whether the hotel's full or if you only have a handful of guests. But maybe one should keep that in mind, too. Visiting Boracay and Discovery Shores during the low season definitely gave us a better experience.

Fewer people meant less competition for the poolside sunbeds; it also meant more relaxed, quieter breakfasts in the morning; and several times during our stay, we literally had the pool and the outdoor jacuzzi all to ourselves. It really made for a much more relaxed getaway than the usual busy summer break.

Boracay in August was lovely, too. Quick rainshowers either in the morning or afternoon, but you still get a lot of sun for the rest of the day. Quiet, nearly empty stretches of sand in the morning. And the best part? No algae on the beach, too (something the summer months are notorious for).

Another thing that shows that Discovery Shores is clearly in a league of its own, while other beachfront resorts have already fenced in their beachfronts with not-so-pretty bamboo scaffoldings to shield it from the Habagat winds, Discovery Shores made theirs in such a way that it still looks nice and not obtrusive at all. Instead of permanent plastic sheets, they used retractable curtain-type plastic sheets that they will only have to pull out when the winds do pick up. That way, they didn't have these ugly structures on their beachfront and you could still enjoy the view of the sand and sea while lounging on their beachside sunbeds or while having breakfast and your meals at Sands.

They also have a daily afternoon activity planned for the kids in the Sandbox, their kids' playroom, so that the kids wouldn't have to get bored even if it rains. When we were there, they had friendship bracelet making, mini sand casltles, etc.. If your kids don't feel like joining the activities, they now have these cute tic-tac-toe sets in each room for those rainy afternoons. Or you can borrow DVDs from them, too. If all else fails, curling up by the daybed with a good book in hand was perfect for whiling away the time, too.

Before I forget, just a quick update: there is no more Mandala Spa at Discovery Shores. They have now brought in Terra Wellness Spa (the same spa from the Discovery Suites in Manila) already. At first I was a bit bummed about not having been able to get Mandala treatments without having to go to their hilltop location anymore, but after booking a Terra Signature Massage one evening, I think I'm going to like this spa. It's not Mandala but atleast it's something new. Important to note though that they only brought in 2 therapists from their Manila branch so I was quick to make sure that I get one of the senior therapists from Manila to do my massage and sure enough, mine was excellent. My mom was terribly disappointed with hers though since she got one of the new therapists. So I guess more training at Terra is in order. For now, ask for Juliet. She's great!

We also discovered a few delicious treats during this stay: One of which is the Frozen Ovaltine Kulfi from Indigo. I don't think you have to eat at Indigo to be able to order this. Usually we just order desserts and drinks from Indigo to be brought to our room, and if it's for dinner, they usually allow you to order dishes from Indigo even if you're having dinner at Sands (and vice versa). I highly recommend booking atleast one dinner at Indigo though. Much more private and the food's delicious! I absolutely loved the Classic Lobster Bisque with a dash of cognac!

In a nutshell, the staff at Discovery Shores has managed to make us fall in love with this place again. Top-notch facilities, a stunning beachfront location, those small little details and treats for their guests, and warm, hospitable staff that truly gives services that's all heart.

For more details and photos, you can check out http://earthboundfaerie.blogspot.com/2010/08/why-i-want-to-live-in-discovery-shores.html.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
2  Thank earthboundfaerie
Reviewed 26 August 2010

I share the same experience with myspaguru. My girlfriends and I had transferred from Le Soleil on Station 2 to stay at Discovery for a night. Our Discovery contact said everything was in order and had managed to pick up our luggage from Station 2 at noon. When we got to Discovery to check-in at 2pm, no one (not a single 1) of the front desk staff greeted us. Although there were cookies and apples on the counter, they weren't offered. The lady (which we later found out was a supervisor) didn't even bother to say hello. I think she had assumed we were walk-in customers and didn't bother with us as she was trying to appear busy with all her paper work. Note: Don't expect much from a Charlene Halaba when you check in at the reception as you will be sorely disappointed.

When we asked to check in Charlene kept looking for our names on her list. Her assistant had asked her if she was going to care for us and she whispered to him (in front of us and enough for us to hear) that she didn't have a choice as he had already passed us on to her. She went on looking for our names and then eventually gave us a sign up/registration sheet to fill in. Luckily, nosey me checked the names written on it - apparently it was for another party. Charlene appeared confused and then asked us again for our names. She went back to her list (this is all manual - print outs) and told us that our reservation was for the day after. What irked me the most was her tone and the fact that she didn't even bother to give us alternatives. We reiterated that it must be a mistake since someone had already picked up our bags. Shouldn't they have checked if the bags were really supposed to be there on the day we arrived? I would be weird to have our bags over a day early and have us check in a day later, right?

We asked to see another person and he said that he's sorry cause the system had been down since 11am so there was no way for him to check our reservation. When we finally got to our luggage and had given him our voucher (which says the correct date) the guy disappeared and Charlene ended up apologizing to us for the inconvenience. She also told us that since there were no junior suites available, we were going to be upgraded to a Presidential Suite.

Whilst our room was being cleaned, we decided to go for a swim. Jigs, the attendant at the beach area was very helpful and accomodating. Whe we mentioned that we had trouble checking in, he had sincerely apologized for it and hoped that our vacation would be better.

After our swim, we were finally escorted to our room (which, by the way, was at the farthest and top most area of the resort). When we got to the door, we found out that the room wasn't ready so we ended up waiting by the landing for the staff to finish. We were outside for a good 10 minutes until we were allowed in to the first floor of our suite. The staff were still upstairs cleaning the bedroom and the jacuzzi so we had to wait another 30 mins for them to finish.

Whilst we were waiting on the staff the doorbell rang. When I opened the door the guy said, it was our luggage. Lo and behold he had brought up (remember we were at the very top) the wrong luggage! I told him it was wrong and he came back 20 minutes after with the right bags.

There were a lot of inconsistencies in their service. The water wasn't refilled, the foot massage lady was late, we were never told what the facilities were nor where they are located, we didn't know what time breakfast was and that we could get massages in the room.

I write this as I am at the suite. I hope there will be less hassle tomorrow when we check out.

Overall, I suggest you stay at another hotel. The Shangri-la is pretty good but if you want to stay on Station 1, you can opt for Fridays (the buffet every Friday is fantastic and the service has been tried and tested) or at the other older establishments. I think Discovery focused too much on the additional things (decoration, ambiance, etc) and forgot the basics of hotel management and customer service. If they continue with this service, they'll end up bankrupt in the next few months especially with all the new hotels being built in the area.

It's a good thing we're only here for an additional night. The hotel and especially the service is definitly NOT WORTH it. Save yourself the trouble (save money too) and just stay elsewhere.

Part 2 of my review - RE-Discovery

We told one of the managers, Randy, our experience and decided to stay another night in Boracay. At first we thought of moving to another resort but the manager apologized to us and gave us a good deal on our room so we decided to stay with them. Surprisingly, the service improved. More attendants greeted us and they were more attentive than the first day we came. As usual, Jigs was very attentive. Another attendant, Rex, came close to Jig's level of customer service so that made us really pleased. Also, we came to discover the mojitos at the beach bar - if you like mojitos, you'll like theirs.

Another good surprise to us was 1 of the attendants came to our room and noticed that we brought wine in - she then asked if we needed assistance in setting up (goblets, ice bucket, etc.) We told her we'll be drinking at the jacuzzi so she had it set up there in time for our little party. She even asked for complimentary cheese for us.

I think if it weren't for people like Randy, Jigs and Rex, Discovery would die a slow death. Discovery owes it to them, Randy especially for redeeming their brand. Thanks, Randy, Jigs and Rex!

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with friends
3  Thank manilamoongoddess
Reviewed 20 August 2010

I stayed with 10 of my colleagues at this hotel on an offsite planning session over the weekend. We paid PHP 18,000 per person inclusive of airfare ( i.e. USD 375 ) and there were 3 of us in a room. The room is quite nice. When we entered the room, it had a nice view, a balcony and a cake with our corporate logo on it. We were given welcome drinks. However, service is not consistent. There were only 2 bottles of mineral water given on the first day and one only on the next day. When we ordered extra bottles, we were charged PHP 100 ++ per bottle. Aside from this, there was supposed to be one beach bag to be given per room automatically with a small body mist and sunblock lotion but we had to ask for it. The grilled seafood buffet at the Indigo restaurant was worth it though although when they presented the prawns, it was like raw to half cooked. One of the staff which we remembered was Jigs. He was positioned near the entrance of the hotel and he lent us white umbrellas when we did some island hopping. Overall, this type of hotel would be better off if their service was consistent. By the looks of it, the service was a hit and miss. By far, I was just comparing my experience with this hotel with that of the Banyan Tree in Phukhet, Thailand and by far the Banyan Tree was the best resort hotel I have ever stayed in. Everything was impeccable. I wish Discovery Shores would come close to that level.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled on business