“Wet July but a funtastic trip and stay at Boracay!!!”

Reef Retreat Resort
Ranked #23 of 221 Boracay B&B and Inns
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
“Wet July but a funtastic trip and stay at Boracay!!!”
Reviewed 4 August 2014

This trip was booked without knowing that it's going to be a wet month in Boracay. RRR is located at Bulabog beach, away from the bustling Stations of White beach. It's only 10-15 min walk to these places. After a day out or a night partying, this resort offers a perfect place to unwind for it offers a cozy room with a perfect place to rest after a long tiring day, and it is tucked away facing the beach of Bulabog. The housekeeping team ensured that it's being cleaned everyday without fail and towels are folded in different animal patterns that were done with love and care. The only setback was that there was no breakfast provided. However around the corner, above this small sundry shop there is this Japoitaly cafe that offers very affordable and superb menu of Japanese and Italian plus local breakfast too. 7 days of perfect food, perfect beaches despite the unpredictable weather in July and the all smiley locals of Boracay, making this my favorite island destination in SEA. The trip from Kalibo and back was such an adventurous one. One should fly into Kalibo instead of Caticlan to enjoy the rustic scenery of the Aklan island.

Room Tip: I've never seen the other rooms but mine was the first one on the ground floor and it was just g...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Nicholas1373
windsurffun, Owner at Reef Retreat Resort, responded to this review, 20 September 2014
Thank you for your nice review.
We are glad you found Reef Retreat the perfect place to unwind and that you enjoyed our housekeeping departments towel animals.
We hope to welcome you back to Reef Retreat in the future

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed 1 August 2014

This was my 3rd trip to Boracay and the first at the Reef Retreat , i stayed at two other highly priced hotels before on Boracay but now i will only stay here.
It was everything i had hoped it to be and even better, the room were great , the staff were amazing , and the location was perfect.
Karina was the best hostess and made me feel like i was at home supplying us with great information and tips about the island that only locals know about.
I will be returning next year with my kids and look forward to staying here again.
Cheers

Room Tip: all the rooms were clean and tidy
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Thank you for your nice review about your stay with us. We are very pleased to hear that we are comparable with very expensive hotels on the island and we surpassed your expectations.
We look forward to welcoming you and your children at Reef Retreat very soon
Salzburg, Austria
Reviewed 13 July 2014

my friend and i enjoyed our stay to the fullest!
ok, one day there had been a problem with the electricity - but we experienced this on the other side of the island a few days later as well (because of the raining-season).
when we are on vacation it is important to us, that we feel welcome and save. and we did it at reef retreat! the staff is great and very helpful!
the location is great as well, because it´s only a few walking minutes away from the crowded white beach and a lot more quiet.
a bonus would be, if you have something to make coffee in every room - but not absolutely necessary :)
if i have the change to go back to boracay, i´ll definitely book a room there again!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Thank you for your kind review of your stay. We are glad you felt at home at Reef Retreat and that our staff were helpful.
We look forward to your return to Reef Retreat at any time
Seoul, South Korea, Asia
Reviewed 6 July 2014

Great service,amazing location,dedicated staff. This was my first time to Boracay and it was an awesome experience! I plan on staying at Reef Retreat for the next time I visit. If you are looking for a great affordable place to stay, right next to the beach you dont need to look anymore.

• Stayed July 2014
We are very pleased that you enjoyed your stay at Reef Retreat so much. Receiving your kind feedback like this makes our day and we hope to welcome you back at Reef Retreat again soon
Oslo, Norway
Reviewed 23 June 2014

Clean and nice rooms with perfect location for kitesurfers on Bulabog beach! Air condition and fridge.
We could just step out on the balcony to see if there was enough wind in the mornings. Perfect! Walking distance to everything you need. Kite center next door for storage. Very helpful personnel.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
windsurffun, Owner at Reef Retreat Resort, responded to this review, 27 June 2014
Thank you for your review, we are really happy that you enjoyed your stay and look forward to welcoming you back at Reef Retreat very soon
Leeds
Reviewed 22 June 2014

I thought I would write a review as we have just spent two weeks at the Reef Retreat. Overall we did enjoy our stay, we originally booked the double room but upgraded to the suite as we required use of a kitchen. This resort has the potential to be excellent but a few things in our opinion did let it down. Firstly the rooms have no safe, they do have a safe at reception that is communal but i am afraid in Asia that is not good enough, there was also no kettle or tea and coffee making facilities, again there was a communal one but not adequate for use. The other main things were the aircon - both rooms we had whilst staying there, the aircon was not strong enough and sometimes it was a struggle to sleep. The wifi was another problem, most of the reviews have suggested this but still nothing seems to be done about it. The good points about Reef Retreat are the staff who are excellent and are always on hand to help out, great book exchange which I used twice, tv/cable, immaculate rooms and lovely surroundings. All in all this resort has the potential to be better than it is, it is a small resort and its the small things that matter, all of the above could be improved with little cost and I feel from reading the other reviews, I am not the only one with this opinion. I think for the money we paid, we could have got a bit more for our money elsewhere.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Be441
Thank you very much for your feedback on your stay here. We always appreciate your comments as this helps us to improve the service that we offer our guests.
Your suggestion about individual safes in the room is something we have been discussing and will now implement this soon.
Regards to the free internet service that we offer, this is an ongoing issue for the whole of Boracay Island. We have limited suppliers and we have changed service provider twice and even different hard wired or satellite supplies to try to improve our wifi service for our guests.
Unfortunately we are a small island in Asia so services cannot be compared to Europe. We now have the best available on this island.
The suite that you were staying in, has a kettle, mugs and a coffee machine for your convenience so we are unsure why you felt this was inadequate tea and coffee making facilities.
We are sad to hear that you felt your AC was not working properly. Unfortunately because you didnt inform our staff at any time during your stay we had no knowledge that you were unhappy about this. Had we been informed we would have asked our Maintenance personnel to check it immediately. Since reading your review we had the AC checked and have spoken to the current guests in the room and it is functioning correctly.
We hope to welcome you back to Reef Retreat again very soon
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 12 June 2014

I am a seasoned traveller. I live out of a suitcase because my career demands it. I stay in varied accommodation 75 to sometimes over 100 nights a year, from 5 star hotel suites to sleeping bags in a tent, or less... I know hotels.

The location cannot be better. It's right on the beach. You walk through a kite-surf shop's operational area to access the water. A great windsurfing operation is on the property as well, right next door to the kite-surf spot. The housekeeping and front office staff are great- all super-nice. They do a fantastic job considering the circumstances. It's a wonderful setup... but...

I was looking for a place on the quiet side of Boracay to practice some windsports. I looked online and found Reef Retreat Resort. Nice folks online. We had a few exchanges back and forth and I eventually used Paypal to secure my first night's accommodation at $90 US as I was unsure how long I was going to stay. I checked in and agreed to stay a few more nights. A prior e-mail "respectfully requested" that I pay cash up front as there were "no credit card facilities" to be used. Hmmm...

The Rooms: Clean and neat as they are, and well serviced by friendly local staff, they were spartan. That's OK. Clean and neat is good, but bed frames made of concrete? Seriously? It makes it difficult to have some real fun should you have a friend over as you might split your head open on the wall of cement that encases your mattress! Lighting? Iffy. No safe, no coffee maker or kettle, nowhere to hang up your clothes save for the oddly constructed closet.

There are notes in the room advising guests on how to conduct themselves. They made me feel as if I was still in grade school and, frankly, offended me. I've been conducting myself the same way for the last few thousand hotel stays and no one has complained. I don't need notes to remind me of what I can and can't do. I'm surprised there's not a note about leaving one foot on the floor at all times if you have a guest in the room.

The housekeeping staff made cute animals out of the towels and did a very good job keeping the place neat and clean. They were really great. Nice kids.

The Cash Only Policy: Pay up front and that's it! No changes, no refunds, no credit, period. Not good. I considered leaving a day early and enquired if one day's payment could be returned but was stonewalled. Not even a credit for another night's stay was considered. "Policy".

WiFi: It's dodgy at best and a cheap set-up. Better free reception is found at "Munchies" or scores of other hotels, bars or restaurants in the area. Fend for yourself.

All-in-all the the nay's outweigh the yea's at the Reef Retreat Resort. You pay a lot for what you get. Frankly, I didn't feel welcomed by senior management. Even the ancient on-site dog "Whitey" growled at me and gave me a good look at his canine incisors. Nice doggy. Nice...

I was a model guest who quietly left unhappy and feeling unwelcome. Rules, policies... Attitude!

Frankly, I cannot understand how The Reef Retreat Resort has won so many awards and accolades through this travel site. It sits at #7 of 171 B&B's and Inns on Boracay! Amazing!

Probably more to do with it's location than anything else. Next time I'll take a pass on the Reef Retreat Resort and I highly recommend those reading this review do so as well.

It's not a low blow, not an exaggeration, not untrue, nor am I impossible. It's my opinion based on personal experience.

Room Tip: Pass. Better value with similar conveniences in the area.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
5 Thank Jeff748
windsurffun, Owner at Reef Retreat Resort, responded to this review, 30 June 2014
Thank you for your review, although we do find it rather strange that you have waited 5 months to write your review and as you mention in your review, you spend most of your life in hotels, and would have stayed in numerous other hotels in the time since staying at Reef Retreat?
Secondly, I had a conversation with you on the morning of your departure. During this conversation you told me that you had really enjoyed your stay here and even asked me about availability to return to Reef Retreat during the next couple of months, so we really do not understand what happened between you leaving Reef Retreat in January and you writing this review in June.
You state in your review that you were a model guest, this is entirely your opinion. We understand we cannot please everyone but our past reviews we feel speak volumes and the vast majority cannot all be wrong.