“A flavour of the original Boracay”
Review of Melinda's Garden

Melinda's Garden
Ranked #81 of 221 Boracay B&B and Inns
Suffolk, United Kingdom
“A flavour of the original Boracay”
Reviewed 30 July 2010

A selection of nipa cottages within a jungle garden, Melinda's offers a taste of more tranquil times in Boracay before recent developments and hotel building began threatening the harmony of the Isle. The cottages are situated down a little path, 50 metres behind Station 3 on the quieter end of the White Beach. I wanted a simple, authentic experience so opted for an economy cottage with private veranda, hammock, electric fan and mosquito net. On a little outside table, a daily flask of hot water was placed for tea and coffee. A lovely peaceful setting with maybe only a curious lizard for company. Horst, Mary Jane and the staff were delightful hosts and very helpful catering for any needs I might have. When a tropical storm was about to break, I found a pink umbrella on my veranda, just in case I might get drenched. A very nice touch. And on my my final morning, slightly stressed over breakfast with a long travel ahead, a bottle with incense stick was placed under my table to help me relax. Another very nice gesture. When I go back to Boracay I shall certainly stay at this charming, relaxing venue.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank willjohnson747

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
Manila, Philippines
Reviewed 13 May 2010

We went to Boracay for a few days to have some time off work. It's a great place for vacations and the resort was lovely as well.
Although Melinda's Garden was a little difficult to find at first (it's only about 3 mins walk to the beach, but it is located behind a building), it was worth it. :) We stayed in cottages that had their own balconies. The place is very quiet and it's basically a big garden. It's definitely a good place to relax and go back to after a long day at the beach or busy nights out.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled with friends
Osaka, Japan
Reviewed 10 May 2009

At first Melinda's Garden looked nice: the beds were comfortable, guests were provided with free distilled water, the restaurant served delicious fruit shakes, and the garden setting was lovely. Things went downhill from there. The cottages are all different and some are very dark (no overhead lighting) and small. The thing they all had in common was a nasty bedbug infestation. 6 out of the 7 in our group were bitten during our stay there. We told the owner, who said he didn't know what it was and recommended we visit a doctor. There is only one MD on the island, and he immediately diagnosed bedbugs and prescribed medication for the two more severe cases-- one man's bites had gotten infected. The doctor suggested we use Lysol on our beds, which we did. The problem didn't clear up so we checked out early. The owner (who we had to speak to on a cell phone because he was in Manila and his wife wouldn't speak to us) told us he'd believe it was bedbugs when he saw them. We asked him to pay us back for the Lysol and medication but he denied our request, though he had already seen our bites and he was the one who suggested we go to the hospital. He insisted he'd never had a problem before and kept telling us we must have mosquito bites. Even the Filipino staff who were present recognized them as bedbug bites. We were traveling separately before arriving in Boracay so we know we got them at this hotel.

Rates are pretty reasonable for this part of the island but to me any rate is too high for a bug-infested bed. Also, the restaurant inexplicably closed at one point and never reopened. A sign in the room claimed that breakfast was served there, but it wasn't. They also had a big dog who growled and barked at guests.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled with friends
1 Thank kamorgans
Melindas-Garden, owner at Melinda's Garden, responded to this review, 29 May 2009
Response to review written by “Kamorgans”:

Together with this group of 7 westerners from Japan we had a group of 8 westerners from Korea and a group of 4 from France.
On the second day I saw strange spots on the hand and knee of one of the men from Japan which looked like insect bites. None of us had an explanation for its source and so I advised him to see a physician. There a plenty of clinics and also a hospital in Boracay.
However, the bites could not come from bed bugs. We live in the tropics and therefore we know exactly how those kinds of insect bites look.
Nevertheless, we searched the cottage thoroughly for any other kinds of bugs which could have caused the skin irritation, but found nothing.
After staying five (!) nights with us the group refused to stay the last night and moved out. This very night people from us slept in all the four cottages with no bites. Consequently, we gave the rooms exactly the morning after with no further treatment to new customers and have not had a complaint till now.
On the day the people from Japan came the French people had to move within the resort to give space for these people. The French people stayed 4 nights in those cottages.
Another cottage given to the group from Japan was until their arrival occupied by myself. Neither the French nor I felt any insect bites. Also from the western people from Korea I did not get any complains.

I wonder to what kind of doctor they have been who cannot tell a bite from a bed bug from another skin irritation. Besides, the treatment of something simple like bed bugs bites does not require a huge amount of medicine which sums up to the worth of a salary for a whole month.

Travellers are raving about these Boracay hotels

Shanghai,China
Reviewed 8 December 2008

Melinda's Garden is a very quiet place in station 3, only 2~5 minutes to white beach. All the facility is well arranged with reasonable price. The decoration is very nature and good hand-made. I will recommend it to my friends.. Good!!!!

• Liked — The price!!! You can get a big single room with good price!!
  • Disliked — nope
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
manila
Reviewed 21 November 2008

i like the melindas gardens cause of friendly and nice place, and what more like the time i was melindas garden with my brother the owner give nice free food for us and he did entertain me as good freind..... i hope next year i can visit again the boracay and melindas gardens

Stayed April 2005
melbourne
Reviewed 26 November 2007

I read about Melindas in the lonely planet, it said it was great budget bungalows in Boracay. We stayed in a "superior" cottage for 5 nights, I would have hated to see what the more budget options were! The room was very dark, cold salt water shower and the staff were less than helpful. I dont know where the lonely planet reviewer got the impression that this place was decent cos it wasn't!

• Stayed October 2007, travelled as a couple