“Beautiful rooms, wonderful views and where did you stay Mr McSorley?”

Alegre Beach Resort
Ranked #67 of 221 Hotels in Cebu Island
Reviewed 7 November 2006

Firstly if anyone here is considering staying at this resort, and are, like my fiancee and I, on a budget but would like a slice of what the other half take for granted, then please stay here (but negotiate personally).
The beach facilities are sparse, I agree with 1 review that far but thats where the similarities end.
If you want facilities then go to the grossly overrated and overpriced plantation bay, everything there is man made, some people find that comforting. Oh yeh and the beach is a joke.

In stark contrast the beach at Alegre is natural, clean and the water is sparkling clear. I say thank you for the lack of facilities Alegre, nothing should get in the way of such a lack of progress.

Oh and I must contest Mr McSorley the rooms are wonderful, with bath and seperate shower, clean of course. Spotless in fact. So I would like to ask again was it really Alegre you stayed in because I have stayed in many places, but few better.

I agree with you about the food though, except the airport part, c,mmmmon man!!!
I should say the restaurant was closing but they allowed my fiancee and I to order and have a table to ourselves on the beach, totally alone with the moon shining on the water, really it was priceless stuff! But at 7000php/ night very affordable. Go on grab a slice!!!

• Stayed: January 2006, travelled as a couple
4  Thank I.O.S's

Reviewed 3 November 2006

We just came back from our well deserved holiday in Cebu where we stayed at the Alegre Beach Resort, a very private resort some 1 ½ hours from the airport. Alegre was the perfect place to take a needed rest, coming from noisy Shanghai, and enjoy the beautiful well cared for gardens with lots of local trees and flowers. They even have an orchid farm. We were kept busy getting our first taste of scuba-diving handled with lots of patience by their own instructors, with so many other things to do if one wanted to without being pressured, such as jet-skiing, snorkeling on the beach as far as their house reef, going on an island hopping trip etc. The Alegre is a resort with some 40 or so rooms in double cabanas spread over a vast area which makes the accommodation very private. The rooms are large and equipped with all amenities one would expect; the bathroom is huge and luxurious. We loved the fact that we did not bump into lots of guests; even though most rooms were occupied there is just so much space on the beach or around the pool. The private white sand beach is absolutely the main attraction - during daytime you can relax and swim. At night time we would come back to have our candle light dinners there at the Cliff BBQ and bar, well looked after by their German chef and listening to their acoustic trio. Staff is very smiley, friendly and helpful. They even prepared some specially requested dishes for us! Food tastes great; there is a good choice of local and international dishes on the menu which is very reasonably priced. Decent wines at decent prices. Perfect place to get reenergized and to get away from all the noise.

Ken, Shanghai

• Stayed: October 2006, travelled as a couple
4  Thank kenster76
Reviewed 7 August 2006

I could not have been any more disppointed. After reading reviews on Tripadvisor and viewing the hotel's webiste, I asked our travel agent to go ahead with the booking. Did I stay at a different hoteklthan my Tripadvisor friends? Where to begin.? The hotel is 90 minutes by car from the airport which would not otherwise be a problem except for what we got for what we paid- too little for too much! The rooms are dated. The sheets were stained and the towels were old and faded. The beach facilities were what I would expect at a $50 a night hotel/motel. We were excited about the promoted mountain biking on the web site. Guess what - the bikes were broken. When we finally got bikes, they were pathetic and the hotel provides no map for the biking. The service was lackluster at best. Never once did an employee approach us to ask if we needed anything. I decided I should speak with the manager and left my number to have him get in touch with me. He never did. The food was tasty and reasonably priced but I could have found that at the airport. I am sorry to report that the Alegre Beach is a real disappointment.

• Stayed: July 2006, travelled as a couple
5  Thank gregcmorley
Reviewed 23 May 2006

If you're looking for seclusion and quiet, this place is perfect. My wife and I stayed here from May 4 - May 7, 2006. There are only about 40 cabana's here, so even at full capacity there is still plenty of space to spread out. Nice beach, which we hardly ever saw anyone else. Beautifuly pool, which again there were rarely people. Food was very good, nice variety of American and local cuisine. Rooms were very clean and spacious and service was excellent - staff were always willing to assist. I would highly recommend this resort if you are looking to have some peace and quiet. Snorkeling is decent at the resort's beach (they have an area sectioned off with bouys), but not great - I would probably recommend going to an island or getting more offshore. Two areas of note is there is not a lot of nightlife here if you are looking for dancing or clubbing - most visitors seem to be honeymooners and after dinner, it usually gets pretty quiet. Also, I wouldn't necessarily recommend this to someone really elderly or with mobility issues, as there is a separate stairway to each beach, and the grounds are quite spacious. We would definitely stay here again.

5  Thank JeffandPhoebe
Reviewed 5 May 2006

My husbad and I stayed at Alegre Beach Resort from April 24 - 27. The 1-1/2hr trip from the airport to the hotel was pleasant. There was somebody already waiting for us as we step out of the terminal. The staff are all friendly, specially Felix, the night bartender. Alegre has beautiful rooms/cabanas and all are overlooking the ocean. The room was fairly spacious and clean, with a tub (for one) and a separate shower and toilet. The pool was big and is also overlooking the beach.

The food selection is fairly decent and the seafood were all fresh! Good thing the food is good since there won't be another restaurant for miles and miles. There would be a shuttle bus at given days during the week that will take you to the city for shopping, other than that -- plan to stay in the resort most of the time -- including luch and dinner.

This resort is great for honeymooners and couples. It could also be a great place for a family vacation since they offer various water sports and activities (at a pretty steep price, relatively saying). However, if you are looking for a resort to go with your friends, I do not suggest Alegre resort. Just go to one of the hotels closer to Mactan.

Stayed: April 2006
9  Thank sheriblsm
A TripAdvisor Member
Manila, Philippines
Reviewed 28 February 2006

We spent a week in Alegre early this year..and had a ball. What attracted us was the secluded area - it'saway from all the noise and traffic of downtown Cebu and Mactan. The rooms are huge - I understand some 60 sqm ea - with the largest bathrooms I have seen in a long time. The rooms are in pairs in so called cabanas, some 19 of them (38 rooms in total) spread over a park like area of some 70 acres on a cliff, overlooking the ocean and three natural white sand beaches. They added a great Beach BBQ recently which offers good food all day and great candle light dinners in the venings, sometimes with cultural shows. There is a main restaurant with indoor and poutdoor seating with a grand view, offering all sorts of local and international food, foreign number 1 chef, good wine list, located on top of a cliff. We mostly went to the beach but there are 3 pools, one adult and 2 kiddies' pools, lots of things to do on watersport, a large scuba diving operation, tennis..the lot. Great place, highly recommended...we'll be back!

• Stayed: January 2006
6  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
Mission Viejo, CA
Reviewed 22 February 2006

We were at Alegre Beach in August '05 and we had the most fun time! My husband and I were more than impressed with the whole experience!
The staff is very HELPFUL, polite, friendly all the time. Our roomy cabana is perched on a cliff by the water. The staff goes out of the way to help you with what you need. Everymorning, as you drink your coffee by the porch overlooking the water, you read the daily paper, and everyday the hotel has a free tray of fresh fruits and drinking water (on top of what major hotel amenities customarily provide.) We got Fresh orchids every day! The hotel grows its own orchid in the property.
Each cabana is separated from the others that even in full capacity, one may not notice that the hotel was packed. There's several steps to the beach, and staff cater to your needs for a drink or a meal if you decide not to go to the restaurant.
A sumptuos buffet breakfast greets you with lots of choices catering to every palate. Lunch and dinner is usually sit down, but the staff is so friendly, makes me feel I'm with my family. On certain occasions, the hotel offers guests witha different ambience or motiff. The decor is Spanish/Mediterranean with a Pacific flair. The restaurant overlooks both the ocean and the huge pool on one side. There's a bar that opens out to the deck. Birds and local wildlife at times invite one's attention.
I was so pleased with the activities the hotel offers. We did the dolphin/sunset and dinner cruises, island hopping to remote islands. Instructors are available at all times if your thrill is deep sea diving, shallow water diving or snorkelling which is what we did everyday..The water is so clear and at a constant 80 degree temperature!!! The coral gardens are healthy and flourishing inviting fishes of all sorts of colors in. Aside from that, the staff assist younger visitors feed the fishes at any time in the shallow waters.
At tThe restaurant live enetertainment is provided in a wholesome atmosphere. The hotel is family-oriented, the staff reports most of their regular clientelle of 13 plus years come in alone and just get pampered.
There is a spa that melts the body to soothing massage and exotic smelling therapy provided by well trained staff.
Overall, it rejuvenated me physically, spiritually and it made my husband and myself closer. I look forward to going back there again this year!
Raquel Ford, Mission Viejo, CA