“Tourist trap”

Tambuli Beach Club West Hotel
Ranked #195 of 221 Hotels in Cebu Island
Reviewed 16 July 2012

Just visited the shooting range that belongs to the resort. They asked 100 Peso per shot with a non proper working worn out gun. Compared to other shooting ranges in PH at least 8 times overpay.

Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo
3  Thank hansruedigut221
There are newer reviews for Tambuli Beach Club West Hotel

Reviewed 20 November 2011

Tambuli definitely has seen better days. Evident in the unkept woodsland, the musky smell in the rooms, bulky 90's furniture, hospital-like tiles in the toilet... although their bathrooms are quite big in today's 3-star resort standards.

The staff didn't help us when we checked-in. We look obviously lost, looking for our room, we passed by two cleaning personnel & they did not even bother to greet us nor offer help. Even made us feel unsafe about them knowing which room we've checked in to since the wing looks empty.

The property is huge. Beachfront, with broken cabanas & dirty lounge chairs, fairly clean & shapely swimming pools w/bridges & a dining area that has a verandah overlooking the pool. The food is almost passable & expensive.

We felt like we were transported to Jurassic Park, or Harper's Island... We checked-in so we may have a safe place to keep our items while swimming & dipping in the sea. The pool is big & fun.

There was not much to do in the evening so we retired to our room after a light snack & did not bother to order dinner. The deluxe room is huge, you can add mattresses on the floor for a family of 10. There was 1 single bed & 1 queen bed, 1 old box-type tv w/cable, bathroom w/ basic toiletries in sachets & extra towels for swimming & another set for bathing.

No mobile signal though. The bath tiles are so white it made me think of a hospital or asylum in the movies. Eerie & spaciously empty too. When it started to rain - hard, we felt like we might get stranded badly in a run-down resort. What with the dark corridors outside & unattentive staff. We ran back to the frontdesk after we heard the rain die down & requested for a cab to take us back to the city. The place is so bad we were willing to travel back to the main city with a cab fare of Php400. Thank God for a speedy & safe trip.

Hope someone injects fresh funds to the resort & revives it. It's such a waste to see a promising property goto waste.

• Stayed: October 2011
4  Thank alexij
Reviewed 8 July 2011

The place is very tropical but worn out. I was really disappointed because the pictures in their web site are photos of years ago. I remember the place to be very nice but the resort wasn't maintained very well. The rooms are old and all over the place is worn out and need a major makeover. At night is very dark and doesn't have enough lighting. The door to the balcony doesn't have a double lock which could be easily opened from outside. The main door of the room doesn't have a small peeping window, so if somebody knocks on your door you have to open it to see who's knocking. Doesn't feel very safe. The sea in the beach is very clear just need some cleaning of debris from the ocean and stuff from the trees.
It's so sad to see the place going down. One of the staff told us that the place is for sale. I hope the new owner will do a major renovation.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Gwen7983
Reviewed 11 April 2011

I'm Pat from Dublin, Ireland. I visited the Philippines for the first time last November 2010 and booked Tambuli West over the internet. I had no idea what to expect other than what I saw on the internet. I was meeting my girlfriend who is Filipino and we planned to stay in Tambuli for 10 days. I found Tambuli a super place to stay. We stayed in the West wing in November and returned for a few nights to the East wing in March 2011. I found the roomes excellent, housekeeping service was superb and I found the housekeeping staff so friendly and funny. In fact they remembered my name when I came back in march, they called me Sir Pat !!. The restaurant staff were superb and the food was very acceptable (lack of wine in Tambuli West a set back). The restaurant and bar staff were very friendly and helpful. In fact one of the staff gave me his number and it was through him i booked the accomodation in March as the internet was showing full. The swimming pools are lovely and the outdoor jacuzzi a joy. The surroundings are lush and really nice to stroll around. I am a very outgoing and friendly person, the Irish in me, and I think that Filipinos react to that in a positive way and I think that makes your stay all the more worthwhile. You smile and they smile back, simple human nature. Yes the beach is not great and yes there is nowhere withim walking distance to go at night. My main problem was the air-con which I thought was very loud but hey it's not a major issue. But if it's a relaxing and peaceful loving time you want then I can highly recommend Tambuli to you.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank patmcmorrow
Reviewed 26 October 2010

the shoreline is very short, full of sea grass where there's a lot of sea urchins. the sands aren't fine at all. on the shore you can see or step on garbage like plastic cups and rusted beer caps. they only seem to care about skiing and not the wellness of the beach. the pool is the only safe place to swim. food is good but expensive. i suggest you bring your own food and drinks. although guests will be charged with 100 entrance fee and 300 consumable food and drinks. worst beaches i have ever seen.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
4  Thank crisgen_heavens
Reviewed 13 March 2010

LOCATION
The hotel itself is located within a walled compound. On arrival, there was a security guard at the front of the walled entrance (who actually checked our documents when our driver was entering), and then there was another 500m or so drive to the front of the hotel.

The main street (where there are better restaurants etc.) is at least 20mins walk from the hotel, which could be difficult at night as the hotel's location / area is not well lit, however is possible to travel to by hiring a local tricycle. On return, the tricycles are not permitted in the compound so they would drop you at the guard and then you would have to wait for someone from the hotel to collect you, unless you were willing to walk in the dark returning to the hotel entrance.

HOTEL
I would have to disagree with their rating of 4-star, and at best I would say 3-star. We had originally chosen this property due to the number of pools! However, during our stay, the waterfalls were not working. One of the pools was also "under treatment." There is the option of using the neighbouring hotels' facilities free of charge; so we used the Cebu Beach Club hotel pools next door (which looks more of a 4-star hotel), and one of their pools also offered water slides!

The "beach" that they describe - yes, is a beach, but the sand strip is no longer than 100m wide and long. It’s quite a short beach and I would be honest to say that you'd be sunbaking on a deckchair located on cement, rather than in the sun, on the sand, under a beach umbrella! They do offer banana boat rides as well as jet skiing from here too.

ACCOMMODATION
We had booked a Deluxe Room, and it was large in size. Our room also had a decent sized balcony, which overlooked the grassed-area and in the distance you could see the pool too. The air-conditioning worked and did not make our room too cold. The bathroom window however, connects to the main walkway outside, so you could hear the noise when people were walking past. We didn't have any difficulty with the room itself but it did seem a little dark.

SERVICE
The overall service at the hotel was quite mellow. I'm not sure if it was the management or the fact they have “hotel trainee students” also working at the hotel. I guess you'd expect the warm welcome reception, the morning greets when you walk past staff, or even the waiters and waitresses during breakfast, however, I didn't feel they made much efforts. Price wise, I'd say it was reasonable at the hotel restaurant (hotel prices of course), however if you have the opportunity to eat out on the main street, there are nicer and better quality restaurants.

When we returned to the hotel late one evening, they did have entertainment, and it was nice to sit in the open-air restaurant and hear the music being sung and played.

OVERALL THOUGHTS
If you were after a 5-night beach holiday in Cebu in a 4-star hotel, this would be a disappointment of a holiday. However, if you wanted day use of a pool, or possibly staying only 1-night, this hotel would be bearable.

TIP - If you have the opportunity to eat out on the main road, can I suggest: Maribago Grill for dinner. We had transport arranged to take us here, and the food was fresh and well cooked. The staff was great and very friendly. As non-filipinos we had a few questions regarding the food, and they were more than happy to explain and describe about the meals and how they were cooked!

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank hellojacquelineanne
Reviewed 12 December 2009

Sadly I have to agree with the other visitors,
after coming back for years to Tambuli, we decided to never come back again there.-
After arriving this December it took a while to get the bell boy to take our luggage, he was not much motivated.

The room, has seen better days as we remembered from years ago, nothing changed but heavily worn out. Staff lacks necessary motivation especially the room boys. Our bathroom as best disgusting. We had it cleaned again, which still did not took out the heavy stench from the tiles.
Toilet paper holder broken, had to get the room boy to steal it from another room. Dirty towel on the floor.
Inside the room found one trouser hanging in the cabinet from previous guest.
The ordered extra bed was rejected by us due to the dirty conditions of the mattress.
Aircon worn out, but cooled still good. Sliding door only one wing of two opened due to broken rollers in the door.

The Restaurant is ok but overpriced for the kind of service.
The pools are in reasonable conditions but where crowded with day guest.
Beach and surrounding are dirty with garbage to be found under the room.

Staff clearly lacks supervision and management. A renovation is overdue for the west wing where we stayed.

What we regretted most was that we pre booked and paid 3 nights, so we have to sit it out.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled with family