“great place, friendly atmosphere”
Review of Kiwilodge Hotel

Kiwilodge Hotel
Ranked #45 of 221 Hotels in Cebu Island
Reviewed 1 October 2013

stayed here in july 2013 in a standard room in the old wing, and will stay again in november 2013 in the new wing. i enjoyed the kiwi, and the breakfast (although the brewed coffee, though good, was a little pricy), and the restaurant area. this place is completely functional, the price is right for the location in cebu city, and the staff was terrific. this is neither a fancy hotel nor a budget inn. it is a midrange hotel, plain and simple. you will not be disappointed if this is what you think you are booking.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank xrcjdx

Reviewed 26 September 2013 via mobile

I stayed twice at the Kiwilodge Hotel on route to and from Siargao! The rooms and building are simple Asian style hotel, (basic yet functional) my rooms had good air conditioners and fans! The first room had a slightly more basic bathroom but the second one was perfect.
I left my big bag in storage whilst I went island hopping for free! Food is good at the bar/restaurant and the staff friendly. Nothing is a problem for the reception staff, taxis on command, even an eight hour laundry service!!!
There is a new 7/11, pharmacy, coffee shop and ATM all in the same complex less than two minutes walk away.
I feel it is also closer to the airport than other Cebu city accommodations. It's also walking distance to SM mall maybe 10 to 15. mins max on foot! Taxi to the Ayalla Mall and Mango hotspots, but all under 100 Peso's. Overall this place is a winner!

• Stayed: September 2013
4  Thank James J
Reviewed 3 September 2013

What a pleasure when you have very helpful staff that are really concerned about one's wellbeing. They would not allow us to walk to the shops but escorted us there and back. The food is really great home cooked grub and the fish and chips are to die for. The price is right and we stayed only one night but well worth it

Room Tip: Ask the staff to turn on the AC when you arrive
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Charles B
Reviewed 8 August 2013

I have stayed at Kiwi 6 times in last 5 years.I will be going back this year as well.The beds have a real mattress,not just a pad.The food is very good ,I especially liked fish & chips.The service is allways fast & friendly.I have read that they don't like Americans,I think that it is more there way of being direct rather than hostility..
The only complaint I have is the AC in the new rooms is too small for the room. My last visit I booked the super deluxe room,it did not feel cool.I changed to an older room,with a much better coolong system.
Sorry to hear Dick is selling the place.It won't be the same without him

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 10 July 2013

We stayed for 2 nights at the end of June, the staff are helpful, the rooms are all New or refurbished, the location is central to SM & Ayala Malls. The Fish & Chips are the best in the
Philippines and the restaurant menu has many good selection options.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Andi6944
Reviewed 27 June 2013

I'm an ex-pat permanently living in Dumaguete, and Kiwi is usually my choice for where to stay when I'm in Cebu. I regularly take the family to Cebu, and we generally stay at Kiwi - it feels familiar to me, and the staff is quite good taking care of people.
I like it because it literally is a few minutes to SM (little longer to Ayala for some reason - traffic?), and the value is good.
I especially like how the boys out front ensure you get a cab, and I feel like they are observant that we won't be "taken for a ride". Thats important to me when travelling with the family.
Food is quite good, western style, with very generous portions. The meat pies are outstanding.

Room for improvement:
- Ok, probably nit-picking & not everyone's gonna care, but I'm a tea drinker at breakfast - the mugs seem awfully small. Would be nice to have a bigger mug - doesn't cost the restaurant much (extra hot water) and still can use 1 tea bag.
- Checking out sometimes seems to take a long time even if they aren't that busy. Really wish it could be streamlined somehow.
- Some of the aircons are aging at this point, could use a bit of an upgrade in some rooms.
- Also, sorry, but have to disagree about the taxis "knowing where the hotel is". My experience is many have no idea where the hotel is - although the airport taxis seem to know. Strongly recommend you take a business card from out front when you check in that has a map to hotel on the back. Picture's worth a thousand words :-) Probably not a lot mgmt can do about this...

Will I stay here again? Absolutely. Although I have a few suggestions for improvement, you will have a hard time improving on the value at Kiwi.

Room Tip: Get one of the newer rooms - you'll pay a little more I think, but the older rooms are getting a...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Joe D
Reviewed 3 June 2013

Terrible food! Breakfast with endless coffee taste more water than coffee. Food generally is to fatty and with no taste!
Noisy outside of the rooms! Night time as well in the morning!
Been at this hotel about 60 times but now I never go back there again!
Services is getting more worse for every year!
Not worth the price for the rooms!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
KiwilodgeHotel, Manager at Kiwilodge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 June 2013

Very sorry to hear your concerns. Especially from someone who has stayed with us many times.
Firstly the noise, unfortunately May is Fiesta time and yes I agree with you it gets very noisy but unfortunately not a lot we can do about this.
Coffee, The instant coffee comes in packs as you know maybe they have reduced the amount, just ask for two sachets. If it is our brewed coffee, the only thing I can suggest there is that the machine has been reset somehow and I am finding out about this now.
Fatty breakfasts, Kitchen has been told about this in the past and my apologies to you I have addressed this issue.
Bland food is a mystery and I invite you to email me direct at dick.dunlop@gmail.com with the dishes you had a problem with.
Lastly our problem with service, again I would love you to email me with any further details you may have so I can deal with this issue.
Many thanks for taking the time to place this review, at the moment I am in NZ getting medical treatment and would appreciate an email direct to me so I can get these issues really taken care of.
Kind regards