“How many stars you said? 5? No kidding?”

Resorts World Sentosa - Hotel Michael
Ranked #11 of 13 Hotels in Sentosa Island
Reviewed 28 February 2011

Stayed 2 nights for a Business Conference. It is a good enough hotel, but NO WAY this is a 5- star place. Maybe in some marketeer's dreams, or for the upscale shops in the shopping arcade, but definitely not what one would reasonably consider a 5-star place anywhere in the world.

Proximity to the Sentosa highlights is nice and convenient, but it should not be an excuse to feel complacent about the star rating . Lots of organized tours too (I know, I know, it's what Sentosa is all about, right?) which makes the lobby look like a Tokyo subway station during rush hour.

Staff is young, willing but scantily trained. Reception phone can go unanswered during at least 10 times (maybe more, as I gave up on the 10th time). Luckily I didn't have a coronary..... Gym unattended and no water to be seen. Breakfast service patchy and food quality nothing to write home about.

Room is nondescript. I know this is supposed to be some kind of "designer" hotel, but design or not, the room looks cheap and of a very peculiar taste. Cheap amenities complete a picture that confirms indeed that this property has been complacently awarded an unmerited number of stars. 3 stars yes, 4 maybe, 5....... nice try. How can this compare to Mandarin Oriental or Shangri-La downtown? Preposterous.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank AntonioShanghai

Reviewed 10 February 2011

January 10th 2011
Hotel Michael, Sentosa Singapore Room 1011

No one wants to read good things so here are the not so good things about the hotel.

1. Car park distance from the hotel.
2. Not so comfortable bed – it was ok but not as good as the budget “Tune Hotel” which I stayed at the day before.
3. Service was so-so with the service staff standing around not really offering any help perhaps because I looked shaggy and didn’t look like I stayed at the hotel. They did offer help later when they saw my room key though.

Overall it was very clean, quiet, cold enough with a nice view of the cable cars. I am not a very fussy person so I would probably stay at this hotel again.

The hotel had all the basic items expected from an expensive hotel (room rate about US$180 or SG$240)

King-sized bed
Bedroom slippers
Room Safe
Laundry service
IPTV with lotsa channels
Mini Bar & Ice dispenser (in the corridor)
Kettle with coffee & tea
Hairdryer
Hand Shower & Rain Shower

Although I did spend a lot of time in the casino and therefore didn’t use the room too much.

1  Thank MalaysianAged28
Reviewed 22 January 2011

we arrived at the hotel at late afternoon..and the hotel staff is very helpfull wit us,they gave us all the info we need and more before entering our room.
the room was splendid,but the view not so great,since there's a huge canopy closing all the view beneath us..but we dont came for the view so we dont mind.the tv channel was great,full wit entertainment..and all the amenities is exelence..its like sleeping in the art gallery..but the thing i loved the most from the room was the bed..my Good..its so comfy! even the bed cover are so soft and cuddly! well,maybe the price is a bit high,but if u want to visit universal studio early in the morning wit out have to get up at 6 am,this is ur hotel..but if ur travelling wit children like i did,well..i recommend u book the festive hotel instead,because all the amenities in this hotel are likely for adult..

Reviewed 19 January 2011

Positives
Stay at this hotel if location is important to you. If access to festive walk, Universal Studios and Imbiah monorail station to Vivo city is important, this hotel is great for that.
Check-in
We arrived early at 0930 wanting to be on time for the Universal Studios opening at 10. Naturally, our deluxe room was not ready. Staff at reception, promptly attended to us, had our luggages stored and welcome packs to RWS issued. I was impressed with the initiative of the staff member who told us to enjoy ourselves and by the time we returned in the evening, our bags would be in our rooms.
Room
Our room on the 8th floor was cosy and comfortable. It was not huge but we did not mind it as we were here for only a 2D1N stay. The custom built furniture tended to make the room seem larger.
Bathroom
Love the fact there was an option of 2 kinds of shower. The traditional hand held and another affixed on the ceiling simulating a rain shower.
Palio
Hearty breakfast with the usual spread. Well-done on the person waiting on us who accepted our orders of having cappuncinos instead of the usual coffee.
Areas for improvement
Bell desk
Having been assured that our luggages would be sent to our rooms when we returned from Universal, this was sadly, not the case. I had to place a follow-up call 10 minutes after my first to the bell desk when our luggagues failed to arrive. It was then I was asked if I had surrendered my baggage claim tag upon check-in and a rough description of my luggage. Although our lugguages were eventually sent, we found it strange there was this breakdown in communication between the front and bell desk.
Room and toilet
There was not much of a view in our deluxe room on the 8th floor. Could it possibly be because it was part of a package 2D1N Universal studios deal?
Was very annoyed at the two huge soap/shampoo dispensers found in the shower area. Not only was the pump not working well, the impression it left me was a cost cutting measure meant to service guest for about a month before the next refill. Hygiene issues aside, moving away from the traditional travel size shampoo containers may have backfired.
There was no turn down service in the evening, no newspaper in the morning and we had to help ourselves to ice at a common dispense at night.
The hotel only has a lap pool. I found the pool at HardRock hotel more inviting and resort like.
Final thoughts
Hotel Michael needs to position it self clearly in a ultra competative hospitality industry. It is clearly not in the 5 star hotel range and is known for their lapses in service. Perhaps, if it advertises itself as a premium tourist class hotel, very much like the premium economy seats of airlines, the expectations of visitors would be adjusted accordingly.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 January 2011

Choose this Hotel as it was the nearest to everythg. At first, I was sceptical due to the previous comments & After reading it ,I really dont expect much from this Hotel....

Here's My Review :

Front Office - Smooth Check in. Frances, from FO..She was really accommodating, friendly and courteous.Truly, An asset to the Hotel.

Room - Spacious,Super Comfy Bed. Just don understand, y there are so many cabinet with drawers all over the rooms. Even in the bathroom.Anyhow, it was a nice room.

Pools - Very Small compare to Festive and Hard Rock Hotel but Son enjoyed swimming there...and I enjoyed just sitting there too.Enjoying the greeneries..

Palio Restaurant - Arrived 1/2 hr b4 the closing time. To my surprise, Stil loads of Food there..Unlike other hotels, U'll only see like a small portion left..But Palio, it was totally different. They kept on replenishing the food.Staff and Manager were nice too..Friendly and courteous.

My son is 6 yrs old and according to the hotel policy, no complimentary bfast for kids above 4. Need to pay SG16 Nett for children bfast...I don mind..but just as were leaving, the staff told me..No nd to pay as its free..Perhaps, I guess coz Son didnt eat a lot....Afterall, How much can a 6 yrs old eat...? Anyhow, Im very thankful for it...

Do give it a try.. I will surely be back....

Reviewed 10 January 2011

Just got back from a 1-day trip to Singapore to purchase some items.Was wondrin whether to stay in JB or Singapore as I arrived in JB abt 6pm.Marina Sands and Resorts World came to mind and after checkin out their websites,a couple of calls confirmed availability and what was great was that my Malaysian Genting World Card entitled me to a discount of theSG$300 room rate (i was charged SG$200+++ without breakfast).Being a Sunday nite and armed with my Garmin GPS unit,the drive to Sentosa from the causeway was smooth and took less than 30 minutes.There was ample parking and a short walk thru the complex brought me to the reception.Check in was friendly and efficient .1st thing I noticed when I entered the room was a sweet wrapper nxt to the door! That reminded me of the hotels in Genting where housekeeping is just not on the ball! There were many many drawers and cupboards in the room,more than I've ever encountered in any other hotel room and upon checking,I found a used strip of tablets in one of the drawers! Housekeeping definitely needs improvement! There was also only 1 tea cup but with 2 saucers and tea-spoons! 4x complimentary mineral water bottles and 3 bath towels! weird ! Anyway,I had recentIy spent a nite at the Mandarin Oriental in KL and was probably comparing the 2 hotels,which may be unfair.Anyhow,I loved the circular shower enclosure and artsy decor but could not find any laundry bags! After a rest I headed for the casino,which was really beautiful.Had a great Bah-kut-teh dinner at the restaurant there and won enuff to cover my stay and then some! Check-out was as efficient and friendly as the check-in.Room was not really sound-proofed and I could hear the construction work goin on outside my window.The bed was comfy and I had a pleasant stay but something should be done about the level of the housekeeping!

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 23 December 2010

Stay in the hotel with a group of friend and their family for 2 nights on 18/12/10. Only one restaurant inside the hotel. Had a very bad experience during the first morning going for breakfast at the Palio Restaurant. My family, two friends, and I total of five person intended to sit at a round table which is available at that moment. However, one of the staff that is wearing a “Black Coat” presumably a Captain or Restaurant Manager came and asked my two friends to sit at a table another table for 4 persons only. I informed the Captain/Manager that we are a group and would like to sit at the round table. However, he insisted that my friend to be sited at the table he has selected and me and my family sit at another table. I repeated my request to the Captain/Manager that we would like to sit together as we are a group. However, we are shocked that the Captain/Manager responded rudely that they are very busy for breakfast and has no time to entertain our request if we want to sit together and chitchat. As the guest of the hotel, we have the right to request to be sited together for breakfast, how could the Captain/Manager uttered such a word that we are there to chitchat and denied our request. Never eat at the restaurant afterwards and the next day even the breakfast is complimentary.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled with friends