Hard Rock Hotel Singapore
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
  • Restaurant
  • Breakfast included
View Hotel
Amara Sanctuary Resort Sentosa(Sentosa Island)
View Hotel
Shangri-La's Rasa Sentosa Resort & Spa(Sentosa Island)
2,209 results
All reviewspull out beduniversal studiosstay at hard rocksand poolsea aquariumhard rock cafeman made beachswim up bargreat pooldeluxe roomvivo citysentosa expressresorts world sentosaother attractionshotel pooltheme parkyoung kids
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 2 October 2013

My wife and I booked the Hard Rock Hotel @ RWS for a local family "Staycation" on the 29 Sept-1Oct It was a very underwhelming experience at the HRH@RWS property.

A poor rating would be too harsh but, my average rating is generous because of the beach pool.

The Check in:
It was slow but, it was a Sunday - during check-in time, the check-in staff was pleasant... so pleasant that he convinced my wife to switch her original booking from a pool view to a "lagoon". He also said that we'll not regret the view. We now know this was because the original reservation of a pool view could not be fulfilled for whatever reason and he was trying to pacify a potential upset customer...

Our regrets began as soon as we entered the room. My "lagoon view" consisted of looking back at the mainland's Harbor Front and Vivo City malls with a lower gaze of water pumps and workers. We did get to see the "adventure cove" but, only the entrance facing the security bag check area... We decided not to make a fuss as 1. the walk back to reception was painful and the kids wanted to swim and 2. we were not going to spend time in the room admiring the lack of a view. but, we felt we were cheated and should have insisted on our original reservation.

The Room:
it was a decent size but lack some amenities and no balcony (unlike the pool view rooms). To my twins horror there was no bathtub. Thankfully it was just my wife and kids as there was No door to the bathroom and the shower and toilet doors were unlock-able glass doors (the glass is partially opaque/matt finished but see thru). My gripe about the bathroom doors is not so much about privacy (but, I'm glad this stay was just my family) however, we needed to switch off the air-conditioning at least 30 mins before the kids shower as it was drafty and freezing in the toilet/showers. (Yes, it’s possible to get cold in Singapore - but, only indoors :)

The hairdryer was mounted so high up and the cord was so short and the mirror was so far to the side...sadly, I like looking at my head when I dry my hair so I had to try to do so without ripping the hairdryer from the wall... - another of my high standards I guess...

As a frequent traveler, One of my all-time hotel pet peeves is water temperature control. The shower at HRH@RWS was either HOT or COLD and sometimes both in the same stream. We shamefully used an unnecessary amount of water trying to shower. When we did get the temperature right we had to be cautious when bathing the kids as the water temperature would change. So shower time consisted of a lot of screaming...luckily no one got scalded.

The power points by the bed were faulty so we had to use power point by the desk.

The Pool:
Was nice. It was nicer when I thought it was for HRH guest only but, I learnt that it’s a shared pool. I also learnt to look out for the tiny signage pointing to the pool as our first attempt nearly landed us in the RWS shopping area... The pool access was very limited. It did not feel exclusive, as guests it felt like we were using another hotel's pool.

Getting towels took longer than usual. I learnt about the pool sharing when I was asked which Hotel I was from and suddenly I felt the lack of guest privilege. I was just another common RWS pool user...

The kids and I loved the pool. It was our only true happiness during our stay on the property. perhaps it was because it did not involve any hotel staff. The pool was clean and the "beach" pool was a delight for the kids. The life guards (or at least the guys using the t-shirts that said "life guard") looked as if they'd rather be doing something else somewhere else.

As we were changing and leaving. There was an incident at the other end of the pool where an idiot parent let his unsupervised toddler and older sister (perhaps a year older than the toddler) slip into a deeper pool from the beach pool and all he did was blow the whistle as a warning. Noted that the lifeguard was on "water slide" duty but, I felt that he could have done more to prevent the toddler from slipping into the pool. He blew the whistle about 3 times prior as a warning. In that time he could have halted the waterslide and gone to intervene. So remember keep your eyes on your loved ones and do swim at your own risk when at HRH@RWS. cos no one else will be watching out for you…correction. They will just be watching…

Also, the toilets and changing rooms are quite a walk away so if you're against peeing in the pool get an early start.

Post Pool administration:
We were stopped from taking the pool towels back to our room. When we told them we needed it to cover the wet kids since we needed to hike back to the rooms thru the cold lobby and thru then long and cold corridor we were instructed/warned to have them returned before 8pm. There are M/F changing rooms with basic shower facilities near the towel police however, the changing rooms are freezing cold too.

There is no place to hang stuff in the rooms. all wet swimware remains wet...so go swimming a lot..

For a family of 4 there are a lot of post pool stuff to hang and dry... there are no racks/ bars or lines... there is no balcony in the "lagoon" view room... We had space to drape (not hang) more than 2 wet towels and ended up having to toss the used bath towels on the floor and ask housekeeping to refresh then daily.

For a hotel with such a nice feature pool, it’s another fail by HRH for families. The rooms look to only cater for a couple who only have a single bikini and swim shorts to dry out...

The Pool Bar:
We did not order any alcoholic drinks or sit by the pool bar but, found it almost impossible to find service staff to take our food/snack order. The pool area is large and decentralized its hard to identify pool service staff and even harder to make eye contact despite waving like a drowning person. We had to ambush one of the wait staff only to be told that he'll come over to take our order, which took him ages to do. The food which was thankfully yummy and arrived faster that the time it took to actually placed the order so like we said. - leave your expectations at the door and you'll do fine.

Breakfast:
We did not opt for in-house breakfast as there were plenty of other options around RWS and the breakfast reviews did not look too promising and were too expensive for the quality presented.

It was my Birthday getaway, My wife asked HRH for a “surprise” cake/brownie for my birthday so it will be in the room after dinner. She was told that HRH chef takes 3 days to prepare the cake... and they "will see if they can do it"... What wondrous cake from the garden of the Gods was this that it would take 3 days to prepare? Thankfully It was a tasty but, really a crumbly chocolate brownie imposter. The only thing holding the cake together was the chocolate frosting which was yummy. (Sorry housekeeping, some extra vacuuming was needed after...)

We all meals outside of HRH. All those meal were great! I really wanted to eat at the HRC restaurant however, the bad taste of the poor service at the hotel made our meal decisions for us very easy. I will get my HRC fix on the mainland instead.

Housekeeping & General Service:
The rooms were kept clean but, the main thing about this hotel was staff attitude. They did what they needed to do and nothing more. We frequently met our housekeeping staff along corridors and unlike other hotels not once were we greeted. Perhaps it’s a HRH thing? Perhaps it’s not cool to call you Ma'am or Sir when speaking to hotel guest? or acknowledge your request with my pleasure or certainly sir we'll send up that extra pillow... speaking of pillows. I did ask for an extra pillow and blanket (for the pull out bed - which was a nice touch - since I was kicked out of the bed by my kids) when the person finally knocked at my door I was told to check in the wardrobe. When I said I already did, I had to wait again for the pillow and extra blanket to arrive. I was not greeted at the door, I was not told how long I should wait...

(Ding-dong /knock-knock Housekeeping)

Me: Hi
HRH: You asked for extra pillow and blanket?
Me: Yes, Thanks!
HRH: Did you check the wardrobe? We keep extra in there.
Me: Yes I did I am using the pillow but, need another one as well as a blanket for the pullout bed.
HRH: sighs an "ok" (then leaves)
Me: (should I close the door, leave it open, where did he go?...) I leave the door open and wait for about a min.
HRH: (hands me the pillow)
Me: Thank you.
HRH: leaves...(no you're welcome or have a good night...would you need anything else...)

I know, I know. I guess I was expecting too much again.

This is the staff attitude I found to be most peculiar with HRH. They really did not make you feel welcome but, there were not really rude. they just did what they needed to do. which just made you feel like you are an imposing guest staying for free!

Another incident which I am lodging a formal complaint to HRH was their bell/concierge desk staff. On 29 September at 7pm, our first night at HRH we needed to take the monorail and like any other person in a new place, we asked for directions at the concierge desk. Our request drew a blank from the guy behind the counter (Did I mentioned that I was not greeted other than a "Yes?"). He then just walked away to consult with someone else... without even saying one moment, please hold on... or whatever....). He returned to tell us that there is a shuttle bus and we could take that to Hotel Michael and from there walk to the monorail station. Ok, I thought, pretty good, we do not need to drag the kids that far…We proceeded to line up for about a min. when another HRH staff # 2 (guy with a shaved head and mustache) Started shouting at the queue "Shuttle Bus over here" Shuttle Bus over here. No please, no politeness, just a general announcement...We proceeded to follow since we were starting to get used to being treated without any respect at HRH. We lined up behind some overseas tourist and waited. Within a min, a shuttle bus arrived and some people got off. The driver did not speak to us or motion for anyone to board so we waited. We also read the sign on the shuttle bus which clearly indicated "Beach Villas and Epicures Hotel". Both names were not Hotel Michael which we were told by the staff. There was not Staff outside to manage the taxi queue or the shuttle bus. We tried to get clarity but. the shuttle bus drove off. So we asked one of the staff who finally appeared when is the shuttle bus arriving and if we were supposed to board that bus.

ME: Are we supposed to go up on that bus? It does not say Hotel Michael.
HRH 1: Huh, you din go up?! Ok never mind, I will bring you...
ME: (Waited...)
HRH 2: (the guy that was shouting at the queue previously) started to raise is voice as us "That's the bus, why didn't you go up? I told you to go there for the shuttle bus what?!"
ME: But, the bus sign said only for Beach Villas and Epicures..
HRH 2: YA!, it’s the same!
ME: But the driver did not even ask is to board, he just drove off...
HRH 2: (raising his voice and hands in frustration) That guy is from China, he does not speak English, he just drives the bus.... now you will have to wait another 15 mns...

The group next to us was also clueless but, did not engage in any further conversation with the hotel staff.

We decided not to wait and asked to be pointed to a walking route. I have never been so horrified with such a scenario and never expected to be shouted at by a hotel staff getting frustrated at my misunderstanding of his poorly delivered instructions.

This is an epic service/guest relations fail by HRH@RWS. Your poorly trained staff with poor attitudes could lead to your hotel's downfall but, that's' just my view. I should not have had any expectations and would not have ended up being disappointed.

HRH@RWS, you have a lot to learn from your bothers at Hard rock Bali. Do start with your staff's attitude. They need to remember that we are paying guest not freeloaders.

Room Tip: There are better options in Sentosa.

Room Tip: 1. Be sure you're comfortable sharing your toilet sights, sounds, smells and habits with your roomies as there is not such thing as total privacy. 2. If you want good service, book another hotel. Otherwise lower your standards and expectations and Enjoy!
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Pereira_JC
David S, Director of Rooms at Hard Rock Hotel Singapore, responded to this reviewResponded 3 October 2013

Dear Pereira_JC,

Thank you for taking time to provide a review on your recent stay.

We sincerely apologize that we did not provide the accommodations nor comfort level that met your expectations.

We have shared your concerns with our Management team, and can assure you we will be sharing your review with our staff.

We have sent you a private message and would like to obtain more details about your stay in order to address these issues directly and prevent future recurrences.

Reviewed 1 October 2013

We were looking for a good place to unwind on the way home after a European winter road trip, but this was not the place. We have stayed at other Hard Rock Hotels that have been great, but we fount this place too "try hard". The room was nice enough, though I had hurt my foot and was walking with an obvious pronounced limp. They put us in the room that was at the farthest end of the longest corridor. A good 2 - 3 min walk from the lift for me at the time... they said they were fully booked and could not change our room. ALSO they were doing some sort of renovations and the noise (during the day) in our room was ridiculous. It was like someone was jack-hammering NEXT DOOR!!!

The worst part of the story (for me) is the swimming pool. We were looking to relax by the pool for a couple of days, but the atmosphere was dreadful. They were playing REALLY bad music (Asian Glam Rock) all day long REALLY loud, and through a terrible sound system. No wonder the pool area was deserted.

The food for me was also very poor. The breakfast buffet was just "wrong" and the poolside service and food very average. We went out twice for dinner in the complex outside the hotel, and were also disappointed.

Nothing would bring us back to either this hotel, or the complex on Sentosa.

Room Tip: Corridors are very long. Ask for a room near the lift.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Jim K,

Thank you for taking time to provide a review on your recent stay.

We will share your feedback with the F&B team, and look foward to improve.

We have sent you a private message and would like to obtain more details about your stay, and confirm that you stayed in February. During this time the property was undergoing some enhancement works, but those works have since been completed, and our future guests should not expect any such disturbances.

Thank you again for your feedback, and we hope to be given another chance to welcome you back to Hard Rock Hotel Singapore at Resorts World Sentosa.

Reviewed 1 October 2013

We stayed at the Hard Rock Hotel Sentosa for a night back in August. The hotel is very well designed with the obvious rock and roll imagery evident throughout the hotel. We were given a large suite upon check-in which was a very spacious and luxurious room with a living room attached. The main attraction was the swimming pool area with good music and a nice poolside bar. There is even a fake beach! Food and service were of a very high standard and I would recommend this hotel to anyone staying in Sentosa.

Room Tip: Ask for the large suite when checking in.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
David S, Director of Rooms at Hard Rock Hotel Singapore, responded to this reviewResponded 2 October 2013

Dear Stephen F,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your passionate review on your recent stay with Hard Rock Hotel at Resorts World Sentosa.

We are thrilled to hear you enjoyed the accommodations, our incredible pool, and what we like to call the "Hard Rock Vibe".

We have shared your kind comments with our staff and all of us look forward to welcoming you back soon to Hard Rock Hotel Singapore for an authentic experience that Rocks!

Love All – Serve All

Reviewed 30 September 2013

This hotel was quite a distance from the airport 30ish minutes and maybe $30-40SGD for a taxi. If you are going with a family Sentosa Island is perfect but as a couple quite isolated.
The eaters are close yet expensive, free transport around the island once on, Universal Studios walking distance.
Bed was large and comfortable, TV difficult to navigate, room to dark, bathroom to dark also, no balcony just a large window. Pool was large but over crowed with people, no guards seen.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple

Dear Kim K,

Thank you for taking time to provide a review on your recent stay.

We appreciate any and all feedback. We are a bit away from the city, but it also gives our guests a chance to experience a more serene, and tranquil environment that is unique to Sentosa Island. We have many day activities to offer and for those wanting nightlife, we are a short cab ride away to the city.

Thank you again for your feedback, and we hope to be given another chance to welcome you back so we can try and "Rock Your Stay."

- All is One –

Reviewed 29 September 2013

We stayed in interconnecting rooms (2 adults and 3 kids under 8). The hotel is in the best location for families on Sentosa. It was clean and spacious and the breakfast is fantastic - our kids loved it. We did not eat other meals in the hotel as it was very expensive. We only used the kids' club once during our 6 day stay but it seemed great and the kids asked to go back! (Sign up for a hotel membership when you drop the kids off for a cheaper rate). The pool is brilliant for all ages. The hotel itself is very close to Universal Studios and everything else Sentosa has to offer. Staff are pleasant enough but not overly helpful.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank tvncf

Dear tvncf,

Thank you for your positive feedback about your recent stay at the Hard Rock Hotel Singapore!

We are glad to hear you enjoyed the accommodations, and attractions here! We like to consider ourselves a go-to destination for the whole family with plenty to offer both children and adults. It is great to hear you made time to visit our very popular outlet Starz. We will pass our compliments to the chef!

Everyone is a rock star here!! Come see us again soon! Rock On!!