“A long way from professional, and low tolerance for simple requests” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Resorts World Sentosa - Festive Hotel

Resorts World Sentosa - Festive Hotel
Ranked #10 of 13 Hotels in Sentosa Island
Cairns, Australia
“A long way from professional, and low tolerance for simple requests”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2010

Despite previous reviews advising of mixed results, and the incomplete state of the hotel, I decided to lob there for 3 nights, mainly due to the proximity of Universal Studios, due to open during the March...see separate review on Universal Studi, if you really want to.
Hotel foyer/facade was pleasant enough, but rooms overlook something resembling a war zone. Pool and surrounds, which form the centre-piece of the hotel, were still months away from being usable, and the construction work being carried out during our stay did not allow for a pleasant nights' sleep. Work started at 07:00 in the morning, and went through until late at night. No concession is made for this factor when applying room rates by the hotel, and it's also (as previously mentioned by another poster) damn annoying that guests at the Festive are not allowed to enjoy reciprocal swimming pool rights from the other hotels in the RW chain nearby.
Smallest requests from us towards front office staff were met with disbelief...even our request for a Singapore/telephone directory, of all things. There are none available in the rooms, so when I went to the front office to further my request, in person, I was taken aside by the "concierge" and in front of several of his junior staff, asked "Why do you need a telephone book..?...Who do you want to ring..?...Give us the number/business details, and we will ring them for you...!"
I was trying to contact several of the local International colleges to arrange interviews for the possible inclusion of our daughter in their schools, and just needed to peruse the numbers/locations etc.....and I explained to the "concierge" that I simply wanted to borrow a directory/telephone book so that I could work out a plan/route to visit these facilities.
He (begrudgingly) handed me a book, with the usual raised eyebrows, of someone that knows how to deal with idiots, dismissed his junior staff with the suggestion of "that's how you provide a service, but keep the upper hand", and went about his merry way. This put me offside with these people for starters, and when it came to check-out time (only 2 days later) they had no idea who we were...despite the fact the same person had checked us in previously. They tried to book us in again.
In my humble opinion, the staff here (with the exception of Yas at the lobby bar) appear never to have worked in a service orientated facility before, and are all starting from scratch...a bit of trial and error, service-wise.
Let's hope they pick up their act very soon, or they should all be out looking for work more suited to their talent for getting people alienated.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled with family
      Sleep Quality
3 Thank MadsDad

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (399)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Singapore
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2010

We recently spent two nights in a family deluxe room. The hotel is brightly decorated and quite cheerful appearing (the thought - "cheap and cheerful" kept running through my head - but it wasn't exactly cheap). The staff are very friendly and helpful but the hotel itself is not complete and some elements of design in the Family Room were a concern for us as parents.

Check-in/ Check-out

Our room was available promptly at check-in time when we arrived and the staff at the desk were friendly and efficient. Valet service for both our car and luggage was professional and quick. If you drive you may want to note that while they took our car from in front of the Festive Hotel the actual valet service is located in front of the Casino entrance adjacent to the Festive Hotel entrance.

Room and facilities

The hotel is new and spotless. The design color combination may not appeal to everyone but it is visually interesting and our Family Room was cheerful appearing. The downside to this particular room, in our opinion, lay in the design if the room. We felt that design seemed to have won out over practicality and safety. The bunk bed area of the room, which looks quite cute in the photo on line, is very very high off of the ground. MUCH higher than a standard bunk bed and the barrier preventing a child from rolling out of the bed is much too low. It is called a "loft bed" in the room description and this is a far more accurate description of the bed than calling it a bunk bed. We felt it was not safe and would not allow our youngest child to sleep in it. Also, the bathroom only has a shower and the design is slightly strange. A clear glass divider is located in between the toilet area and the sink/shower area which means the door must be fully shut to access the toilet area and the door can not be pushed fully open. This makes the bathroom feel much smaller than it actually is and can be inconvenient with small children.

Our view was of the side of the Hard Rock Hotel and what appeared to be a driveway and alley area. Further, the pool area is not complete and a great deal of construction was going on in this area during our stay.

Dining

Room service is not available at this hotel and the restaurants are not always open until the times stated as their opening hours which is inconvenient. We found the food to be universally mediocre at both of the lobby restaurants. There are, however, several restaurants, including a Chili's, and a 7-11 that are now open adjacent to the hotel and are easy walking distance from the Festive Hotel.

Overall

Overall we felt this hotel is being positioned as the "family" hotel and it gives off a "cheap and cheerful" vibe with very friendly staff. However, the rooms are not designed with small children in mind and we felt that since our room was more expensive than a deluxe room at the Hard Rock Hotel it didn't represent great value. The lack of a pool and the inability to use the other "sister" hotel pools was also inconvenient and reduced the "value" of the hotel for us. We would probably only stay here again if nothing else on site was available.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
      Sleep Quality
4 Thank Sinberg
JB
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 January 2010

I didnt know anything about this hotel when my company booked a room here, except that it is new and the first to open in resort world. First i was a bit puzzled because it seems very much like a family hotel.

Yes, there was a little bit of noise, but this to be expected until the resort is completely ready. I can't think of a new hotel that i've stayed in when there was no noise.

What wowed me was the service. There was a family who checked in before me and the two children were given sweets and made to feel like they were at a party . I've been to many hotels in singapore and never have i seen such a resort feel. The check-in staff was very friendly and told me about the upcoming Universal. Definately somewhere i will stay again.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled on business
3 Thank artur_johns
Singapore
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 January 2010

The rooms smelled of paint & glue. Knocking and drilling noises permeated the place from the unfinished construction sites of the resort . We were turned away from their fully booked restaurants and imagine our frustration when we found out they dont offer room service. We gave up on the idea of spending our weekend at RWS and cancelled our room. At least , the resort was decent enough not to charge us.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Galivanting

Travellers are raving about these Sentosa Island hotels

singapore
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 January 2010

I was so looking forward to the stay in Festive hotel as it looks really good in picture . But it turn out to be the worst experience I had ever came across with any other hotels.
First, the check-in was slow . I was told to wait for another 1-2 hour at 3.25pm as my room is not ready .
Secondly , when I finally got my key to check-in,I realise they gave me a room which was not checked out by the customer . Their shoes and luggages was all still in the room ! So I went back down to the recep and requested to speak to the manager to get an explanation . But I was greeted rudely by the manager,Henry .
So feeling uncomfortable with the service and security that anyone can suddenly enter my room I decided to check out .

• Stayed January 2010, travelled with family