“Great Room, not much service, GREAT SPA!!!!!”

Resorts World Sentosa - Equarius Hotel
Ranked #4 of 13 Hotels in Sentosa Island
Hong Kong
“Great Room, not much service, GREAT SPA!!!!!”
Reviewed 26 October 2013

My husband and I returned to Sentosa every year to celebrate our wedding anniversary. We used to stay only at Shangri-La Rasa Sentosa, but since we are spending 4 nights in Sentosa, so I decided to split my stay between Equaruis and Shangrila.

I'm so happy with my decision trying Equaruis, especially when the concierge lady upgraded us to a seaview room with view. The room is big and well decorated, with a huge bathtub for us to enjoy during the night. The bathroom is very clean and we really enjoyed every bit of the room.

Our package didn't include breakfast, so cannot comment on that. We tried the Ocean Restaurant for tea-time snacks and we didn't regret going there cuz the aquarium view is simply astonishing. The fish and chips and chicken nuggets tastes average, nothing special worth commenting, but we still recommend the place simply because of the view.

In terms of hotel service, I do think the Equarius needs improvement. Not that the staff is not nice, everybody is nice and helpful, but they all fail to provide useful information for guests to enjoy the resort. For example, when I asked front desk about the spa menu, she asked me 'Which floor are you staying at?', I replied 'The 6th floor'. Then she said 'Oh yes, there won't be spa menu at your floor'. She didn't have the intention to provide me with a menu, leaving me with a big question mark regarding whether the spa is reserved for higher spending guests?

Example no 2: when we wanted to go to the Pool, a staff just blocked our way and said there's nothing inside. We're quite surprised, and so we kept asking different staff to check where the main pool is. All seems unwilling to let us know the exact location, when we reached there, there are no staff to help us set up the day beds or serve us with towels, the pool looks so deserted. The pools are linked with the Beach Villas, so I guess the hotel staff didn't want the 'room' and 'suite' customers to use the pool reserved for the Villa guests?

Anyhow, while we found our way to the pool, we discovered the ESPA, and we went inside for a look out of curiosity and we are thrilled with all the amazing facilities inside. When we knew from the Spa staff that they are offering 50% off a special package, we immediately joined the package to celebrate our wedding anniversary. The package costs SGD$450 person person in normal price, and they are now offering the package at SGD$225 per person now. The price includes:
- all day pass to all ESPA facilities including the incredible Onsen, steam sauna, rock sauna, vitality pool, cold pool, the fantastic changing rooms
- 1 hour and 45 min massage and spa
- 3-course meal at the Tangerine spa restaurant that offers healthy and calorie-calculated
dishes.
- all day courses (boxing, yoga, SMRA etc)

We are so happy to have found the ESPA without the help from the HOTEL STAFF. Despite the lack of service at Equaruis, I'll still go back without doubt, the ESPA and Hotel rooms has successfully won us over from the Shangrila.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank PJtrips

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (220)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Reviewed 24 October 2013 via mobile

Stay in the hotel for the third time this year and services provided by the hotel from check in to house-keeping and other service and room request has been top notch during each stay. The room is big for a hotel room in Singapore and the toilet is bigger than other hotel. The staff is very friendly, helpful and prompt to request. Although the hotel is located at one end of RWS but there is a 15 mins interval shuttle service that bring you to the other attraction in RWS, like Universal Studio. The hotel will have a special entrance to Adventure Cove Water, therefore there is no need for you to walk a big round to the main entrance. Wi-Fi need to be pay to access.

The check in time is 3pm and they will let you check in to the room at only that time, therefore if you are early then you can registered with them, visit their attraction and then check in at 3pm to rest. Would recommend for others who wish to relax with good service.

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 21 October 2013

I stayed at Equarius for 1 night (18 Oct) with my husband and baby. Booked a Deluxe King room, but to our dismay, it was 2 single beded. I remember telling the front desk that I wanted a twin beded. And I suppose twin beded means double bed, i.e. a king size bed. And so, I ringed the front desk to request for a change of room, as the bed configuration is not accepted for a family. The front desk lady kept saying that there was no room, and she could get the housekeeper to join the two beds with a cotton layer in between. I dont believe there was no room, as I checked in on Friday at 3pm. During check-in, the front desk still asked me what type of bed and room view I want. So, to save them the trouble, they used no rooms available as an excuse.

Next, we realised that the balcony wall in our unit (5th, smoking floor) was full concrete. In fact, the balcony for all water-front facing rooms on 5th floor is of concrete type. It is not the railing type as seen on the picture. So your view gets blocked. I do not understand why smoking floor has to have concrete wall balcony.

I got a shock when the housekeeper sent the baby cot up. There was no proper matress cover, it was wrapped with a normal white bedsheet. And there was no cot protector. The housekeeper said they do not have any. And gave us 2 towels to put round the cot. The baby cot looks more like a cage, with small bits of rust and stain here and there. This hotel is not baby friendly.

To make things worst, the fridge is not working, it is not cold! We need the fridge to keep baby food. The spotlight on top of the bed is faulty too. After turning off, the light would still flicker occasionally.

It was near to 5pm. We were tired and irritated by all the disappointments. My husband insisted with a room change. Finally, we were given a complimentary upgrade to a room on 3rd floor that comes with a large grass patch and railing type balcony, forest facing. Why do they call it an upgrade, where the room size is the same? Except for the grass patch, which is a little useless.

We paid a premium for Equarius, room only without breakfast. Hence, we expect higher or better standard.

Room Tip: Avoid 5th floor (smoking floor) if you dont want a concrete wall balcony.
Perth
Reviewed 21 October 2013

I stayed at the Equarius for 8 nights with my husband to celebrate my 50th Birthday.
I was very impressed with the facilities, the room, the cleanliness and the great staff throughout the resort who were always so pleasant and helpful! The breakfast buffet is awesome and the staff at the restaurant very pleasant, helpful and polite! The have a great gym and the pool area is fabulous!Access to Singapore city can be by cable car, monorail, taxi or even walking. The island facilities, food and entertainment were great and honestly, why anyone on holidays would book into a city hotel is beyond me..............Its so easy to get around Singapore from the island. The hotel even sent me a birthday cake to our room which was very sweet!

Any time I go to Singapore.....I will be staying at the Equarius.

K.S.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Singapore
Reviewed 14 October 2013 via mobile

Booked a deluxe room to celebrate hubby's birthday. Service was lousy and inflexible. Requested to change sea aquarium tickets to adventure cove as we just been to aquarium few days ago but was rejected reason being administratively more work for them. Room was huge but breakfast taste lousy. Very disappointed with the hotel service. The hotel staff never smile nor greet the guests and swimming pool was far and inconvenient.

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Ahmall
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 13 October 2013

Im staying at room 0658 with my wife and son from 10-10-13 to 13-10-13.
It was a staycation book by my wife for my birthday celebration. I have nothing to say about the hotel rooms, view, food etc, There's only 1 word to describe. FANTASTIC.
The only thing to say is the service. Almost the whole team from the Front office from staff to managers has serious attitude as if we own them money. They are super unfriendly and lazy as well.

When ask 1 of the staff about the complimentary parking and she was about to go get from concierge, the other staff just tell me go get from concierge myself just because they are in the mid of talking and I interrupt?

We have book for Adventure Cove ticket and it happens to rain but not really heavy rain still can proceed. We approached the staff twice to lead us to the adventure cove back gate which they supposed to do, but they just call us to wait and wait at the lobby and yet they lead other tourist which comes later then us to the adventure cove. (Is it because we are Singaporean?) After we proceed to one of the front office manager (Rachel) If im not wrong. She just reply my wife wait its raining. But the thing is we already purchased the ticket from the hotel, its my free will to proceed if its raining or not. Its your duty to lead us there. What is wrong with all these people???
In the end the manager lead us there but her face are really unhappy.

Is this the kind of Service the front office personnel should have for a 5 STAR HOTEL???
They are the frontline and yet.... Even the Housekeeping and other department staff are more friendly. Its really sad to say.

Room Tip: If you going to relax its really a nice place, Quiet and peaceful. The ESPA is good also for the pe...
2 Thank desmond5032
Earth
Reviewed 13 October 2013

We booked a 3D/2N package which included breakfast, tickets to Universal Studios Singapore, SEA Aquarium and Adventure Cove. The tickets to the 3 attractions were not open date and we had to pre-book when we wanted to use them when we made payment for the package.

Check-in was a little slow as they didn't have sufficient staff on hand to clear the queue, though I must say that the experience is different as you are seated during the entire time compared to the check-in at other hotels where you be standing.

The room and bathroom was nice and big. The view from my room was great overlooking Adventure Cove and the main land but that was it. Quality of the toiletries were of poor standard. Funishings in the rooms were of poor workmanship - the sofa had nails sticking out at one end. TV offerings were very limited and if you want movies, you would have to be prepared to pay. This also applies to Wi-Fi access which is unheard of nowadays except at budget / no-frills hotels. The room only had a couple of coffee mugs and the mini-bar was limited to just beer and soft drinks. No wine glasses, corkscrew, no hard liquor that you would expect from a hotel such as this.

On the good side, the hotel does offer shuttle services to the other hotels and attractions within Resorts World Sentosa. There is a service every 15 minutes but be early to avoid disappointment. My only complain about the service is that it only starts at 10am which is when most attractions open. But kudos to staff who were pro-active to offer us a buggy ride on the day we were meant to have breakfast at Universal Studios before it opened.

I personally wouldn't rate this hotel as a 5-star establishment.

Room Tip: Both facings are good. The room I got faced Adventure Cove and the Singapore main land whereas the...
1 Thank CripTic