“Wonderful staycation”

Ranked #5 of 13 Hotels in Sentosa Island
Singapore, Singapore
“Wonderful staycation”
Reviewed 31 December 2011

Stayed here in early Nov and now, over New Year's eve. I must say the hotel is very well run and it has improved a lot after the recent renovation, in both hard ware and software.

First, the rooms are spacious and well designed especially so for the family rooms. Our family of 4, 2 adults and 2 young children are very comfortable in the Family Pool view room as there is a sofa bed that sleeps 2 youngs kids.

For families with young children, the kids club is heaven sent. The children can sign up from 930am to 9 pm at the kids club with a whole day of activities packed, keeping the kids busy and coming back for more. On top of that, lunch and dinner are provided for, FOC. Unlike other international class hotels we have stayed in, they usually charged for children signing up for kids club, not here though.

Even running full house over the New Year holiday, the hotel housekeeping was prompt and though room service was a 45 min wait, the staff apologises over again for the delay. We were impressed with the level of service here.

With a generous free form pool, well designed kids water slide and a private beach front, enthusiatic staffs organising fun pool activities, we could spend the whole day from morning till evening by the pool side not feeling bored.

We tried the Rasa Spa. Massage was ok, the treatment rooms were well furnished but i could tell the spa was very confined in a small space, with tiny treatment rooms. They can also do better had the treatment rooms have been deesigned outdoor views like many other international resort hotels

Room Tip: Choose the family rooms if you are travelling with young children. Rooms with pool view or sea view...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (908)
  • Arabic first
  • Turkish first
Northumberland, England, UK
Reviewed 30 December 2011

Stayed here in December.
We had been staying in Singapore so didn't have far to travel!

Check in was quite disappointing - somewhat mechanical and impersonal. The lady who checked us in looked decidedly bored. I told her we'd waited over 12 years to return and she yawned. She waved us in the general direction of the lifts and left us to get on with it ourselves - perhaps we'd been spoiled by the exceptional levels of service we received at the Pan Pacific - but I did see other guests being personally escorted to their rooms - it just lacked a certain something.

We had booked a room with pool access as our daughter likes to spend as much time as possible in the pool and this was the ideal room for us - it also meant that I could just throw on a sarong and wander out to the pool without having to worry.

The refurbishment has resulted in very nice rooms - it was a much bigger and nicer room than I had expected. Housekeeping services were good.

If you don't like kids - don't come here! The pool is far from relaxing as there are kids everywhere and let me just say they are not all well behaved, which is fine if that's what you like but I can't imagine honeymooners would like it.

The pool is very nice with a separate section for children. There are plenty of beds but too much bed saving going on which I hate to see. The staff came around with fruit kebabs and chatted (and chatted and chatted) I think they were told to try to interact with the guests - it was quite sweet really but I did see some getting a little irritated.

If you ask our daughter what the best bit of this hotel is - she'd tell you it's the kids club - she loved it! Spent hours in there and they also took them all swimming and onto the beach, she went on the trapeze and spent some time indoors doing crafts.

The poolside service was good - you raise a flag and someone takes your order. We also ordered food at the poolside and it was OK.

We took breakfast in the hotel and there was a good choice and the service was good too - I was glad we went early as by the time we were leaving it was getting very busy with kids running about everywhere. We only made breakfast once as our daughter became very ill with food poisoning while we were there (I should mention I don't think this was from anything she had at the hotel though)and on the last day we left early to fly onto our next destination.

We used the hotels shuttle service to Vivo city where there were a lot of places to eat and shop.

I did enjoy our stay here but it just lacked that special 'something' that I can't quite put my finger on. Would I stay here again? Yes - but just to keep our daughter happy. We were last here about 12 years ago and it was a very special place to be, now it's more like a huge resort. I'm very glad that we spent some time at another hotel and some time here rather than spending the whole time here so if I did come back I would do the same again - if our daughter would let us I'd probably just give it a miss.

Room Tip: If you want pool access the rooms at pool level are great but don't have a view. If you want pe...
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 29 December 2011

My wife and I normally avoid properties like this because they are children friendly and we have no kids. I had stayed at the Rasa Sentosa some years ago before the renovations and knew the target audience it attracted.

Can I say we stand corrected!!

We spent Christmas (total of 7 days) at the resort with friends and it was awesome.

The rooms and their renovations were fantastic. The walk ways to the rooms that were once open air are now enclosed and air conditioned. Will post the photos. They were clean, well serviced every day and come with complimentary water.

The staff was fantastic – so friendly – and the restaurants were well priced and food was great! Trapizza is great for a casual eat at night that involves a walk along the beach to get there. We also started our own little tradition of Pina Coladas by the pool at 12 each day - and they were crackers!

We will be back for Christmas next year, but next time we will stay for New Years Eve as well!!

Room Tip: Book a family room (we did even though there were only two of us) and it was worth the extra $20 for...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
Singapore, null, Singapore
Reviewed 29 December 2011

Visited this resort nearly more than a decade ago, has been recently renovated but I think it's mainly to the rooms so the overall feel of the resort is the same.

Being the only resort with direct access to the beach from the swimming pool (if I am not wrong) people who enjoy sun and sand and water will love Rasa Sentosa.

Rooms are very ordinary, nothing to shout about, Floors in my room were sticky.

Breakfast was superb but got a bit overcrowded. Was interrupted by a peacock halfway through my scrambled eggs lol

It's cheap by any standards but for locals it the best holiday venue in Singapore in my opinion cause it genuinely feels like a resort cause of the beach setting.

Room Tip: Get a pool facing room as the view was probably the best thing about my room
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 29 December 2011

This review is a bit old, as we stayed in July 2011, but here's my 2 cents' worth: This is a terrific place for familes. It's a 4 star (maybe 3.75!) which despite a refurb not so long ago, still seems a bit tired. However, with 2 families and 4 kids of various ages from 14 up, it was a perfect place and location for our 10 day visit to Singapore. The kids enjoyed the pool, the buffet, the theme parks and the fish nibbling your feet. The spa is very good and cleaner than the rest of the place. It's not TOO far out of town to enjoy the fantastic art museum, hawkers markets and shopping of the city. Go to Changi museum too - fascinating.
If you are couples looking for some romantic place with great food, this is not for you. Stay in the city at one of the gorgeous hotels.

Room Tip: Pay a bit more than a deluxe room, they were small and the bathrooms were not great. Our friends had...
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed 28 December 2011

This resort is a must visit for travellers with children, especially so to those who plan to venture into sentosa island. Facilities there are excellent with a white sandy beach front and a big beautiful pool. My children simply loves it. Transportation is never an issue as there is a regular scheduled coach shuttle transfer to the maritime centre/Vivo City, right opposite the island which is also connected to the Harbourfront MRT station. Service provided was as good as before if not better. The condition of the newly renovated ocean facing room which we stayed in is vastly improved and refreshed as compared with the ones i had stayed previously.The peacocks and monkeys are still there!! We will definitely return...

1 Thank malaichai
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 28 December 2011

Went for a short stay with my 3 young ones as a staycation since it's hard to travel when all my kids are 3 and under. Initially when I registered all my children when reserving the hotel room, I was asked to take 2 rooms instead. Of course that's not possible since my kids are all so young. I took a pool view family room, which was really spacious and more than enough room for my family. During the online registration process, I just entered my eldest name and requested for a baby cot. My other two went in as "stowaways". We weren't given any problem for that during the check in though.

The check in time of the hotel is rather late at about 3pm. They cannot promise an early check-in at 2pm without charging so it's really up to your luck. We managed to check in by 2.30pm without being charged extra and my little ones got their nap.

While waiting for the check in we had lunch at the Silver Shell Cafe. The buffet spread was really good and delicious. I think it's a good way to spend time while waiting for the check in.

The spacious bathroom was a big plus for me. My only worry was that the bathroom door is a sliding one so it can be opened and closed easily. This poses as a problem for really young kids like mine. Luckily for us, there were no accidents this trip. Also my air con wasn't working and I had to call for repairs in the middle of the night.

That more or less concludes the slight unpleasantries of the stay. Other than these minor hiccups, the service was excellent. The registration staff were friendly and very helpful. Every need is attended to promptly and with a smile regardless of the time. The aircon servicemen came to my room at 2am and fixed the aircon in about half an hour. They came within 10mins after I called the service desk.

We were also given complimentary cakes and gummy bears after we checked in. The housekeeping came promptly to set up our sofa bed and delivered the baby cot really quickly after we requested for it. The thing is you have to reserve the cot way ahead because their cots are limited and the hotel is very popular with families.

We didn't manage to go to the beach but if you want it it's just a stone's throw away. If not, the hotel's facilities are more than sufficient. There are 3 water slides for the children and a water feature. There are also 2 pools, 1 wading and 1 swimming. Towels and cold drinking water are provided for free at the pool. The chairs were cushioned and sheltered.

2 playrooms for the children. 1 for older children and 1 for toddlers. I think they should have restricted the toddler playroom to toddlers because it got really crowded and rowdy when the older children came over but that just showed how popular the facilities are. There's even an arcade.

The hotel had a shuttle service that sends guests to Vivocity Shopping mall every 20 mins so if you are caught in a rainy season like me, you can always spend some time at the humongous mall.

The breakfast spread was really generous and we looked forward to our breakfast every morning. We also had lunch at 8noodles which served pretty good noodles too.

I really enjoyed my stay and I will definitely be back.

Room Tip: The garden view family room is situated at the ground floor. When you open the balcony it goes strai...
2 Thank Momokokomo
Marina Bay
Marina Bay Sands
Marina Bay Sands
#38 of 314 in Singapore

Been to Shangri-La's Rasa Sentosa Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!