“Heaven!! Take me back”

Shangri-La's Rasa Sentosa Resort & Spa
Ranked #4 of 13 Hotels in Sentosa Island
Reviewed 4 November 2012

What an amazing place. Staff were exceptional. Nothing was to difficult and everything was done with a smile. We travelled as part of a group of 28, ranging in age from 1yr to 60yrs of age. While there we celebrated my fathers 60th birthday, the staff could not have been more accomodating and assisted us with all preparations. Food was exceptional the buffet catered for every whim and the fish at Barnacles was the best I have ever tasted. The kids club has many acitivites for those 5 - 12 years. The beds we super, it has prompted me to buy a new mattress. Laundry facitilies are located on every floor. Facilites are immaculate. It is very easy to travel from Sentosa to Singapore with many options. The bus tram runs from below the 7 eleven every 15 minutes and connects with the monorail which takes you to Vivo City Shopping Centre. Shangri La runs a regular direct bus to Vivo City or taxi's are readily available. The tram, bus and monorail are all free don't forget your pass from reception to come back to Sentosa free of charge. From Vivo City you can catch the MRT (subway) to where every you wish to go. I recommend visiting the Gardens by the bay at dusk making your way by 8pm to the light show at marina sands which is located on the opposite side to the Gardens by the bay, making a trip to Legoland (1hr 40 min travel time including customs) and universal studios. Make sure you visit these on a Mon, Tues or Wed when it is quieter (best advice we recieved) The zoo was wonderful but for thoses with young ones I would recommend the day zoo a bit easier for them to spot the animals. The Port of Lost Wonder on Sentosa is a great place to lounge about and let the kids run wild in their small water park. (located about 400m past monorail) also check out Bora Bora for a great lunch at Palawan beach. We all loved the luge great fun. If you have time go to the pirate musuem on sentosa and experience a typhoon. The chair lift was good but not worth the money. If you feel like a walk take the boardwalk that links Sentosa and singapore, it does have some travellators for those a little less inclined to exercise.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank nikked
Write a ReviewReviews (3,841)

Reviewed 4 November 2012

My main reason to choose this hotel because it was close to the Universal and it was overlooking the beach. I enjoyed the War museum close the hotel. I liked the bus transportation in the island and to the main city Singapore.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 31 October 2012

I don't want to bag this resort as it was a great place to stay, I did a lot of research to book this stay as it was my wifes birthday weekend. Now this is a 5 star location and we are not loaded but decided to indulge ourselves after selling a property, we booked an Ocean view suite which after 2 taxes averaged out at $1000.00 per night, our pick up and arrival was what was expected, we arrived just after dark and escorted to our room a little smaller than expected looking on website but very nice.The discription was beautiful views over South China sea, they are if you weren't looking at tankers and freight ships and a refinery across the way, as I said before I don't want to bag this property as it is very nice but for 5 star there is some wow factor missing. It is on an island and a way from the city so unless you wan't to stay exclusively at the resort take into account time spent transferring to the mainland.
Overall a beautiful resort and location staff are wonderful but the wow for the money didn't meet our expectation as first timers to 5 star.

Room Tip: Ocean view suite have a large sectioned off balcony with a small spa, with great views over resort
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 31 October 2012

We were making a choice of whether to stay in Fullerton, Ritz or Shangri-la Sentosa.
Fullerton - We had never stayed there, and want to try.
Ritz - Convenient for traveling to my home and relatives.
Shangri-la Sentosa - Good place just to relax.

But in the end, our choice was a good one as this place is truly filled with stuff for children to participate, of course not withstanding the fact that it is a good place to relax away from the busy city.

This time round we stayed in the Suites allocated on the 7th Floor. Unit 765. The suites comes with an outdoor jacuzzi (seldom used, but at night, it is a good spot to relax in), your own private porch. The thing I like best about the suite is the view you have of the Siloso Beach and beyond. This time round, my wife and daughter slept in the main bedroom, whilst me and my son slept in the living room. They have the sofa bed and 'hide-away-in-wall' bed (forgot the term), so there was ample room for us to rest after a day of sightseeing and traveling.

Plus of staying in Shangri-la Sentosa: Great service, Children friendly, Good place to relax.
Plus of staying in the Suite: Space, Private Amenities.

Negatives of staying in Shangri-la Sentosa: Not really convenient to travel to other places of interest.

Room Tip: Suites are located on the 7th Floor.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 30 October 2012

As a diamond member of Shangri-La, I stay in Shangri-La properties often. Based on our experience, there are always some staffs in Shangri-La that provide exceptional services and are very attentive and responsive to customers’ needs and feedback, hence have the magical power of turning a bad or ordinary stay into a memorable one. That’s actually one major competitive advantage of Shangri-La over other 5 stars properties. Another competitive advantage is their buffet breakfast. It is no exception here.

We redeemed one night stay using golden circle points just before the Chinese New Year, mainly for our 3 years old son to have some fun here. I chose a family garden room with twin beds when I did the redemption online, as it has direct access to the pools and is the most suitable for our stay purpose. I received the confirmation email immediately with the above mentioned room type stated.

Our request for early check in/ late checkout was granted without hassle, so this diamond member benefit was acknowledged. But our check in was handled very poorly. Upon check in, we were told that the room type we booked was not available despite that for diamond member, the room type is guaranteed at time of booking. Then they tried to give us a family pool view room with twin beds which was a downgrade instead of an upgrade if you check their rate online. Anyway, as no other options were offered, I did take a look at their pool view room, but decided to stick with the family garden room with a king bed. Then there were some problem with the keys, and 2 staff stood in the corridor in front of our room for about 20 minutes to get the faulty key issue solved. When we finally settle down in our room, it was one hour later. Then one staff handled one small request from us in an insensitive way and caused some misunderstanding. So at that point of time, we were very disappointed with the service we received.

Just when we were about to mark a big cross on Rasa Sentosa from our hotel list, we received a phone call from Ms. Shirley Li, the duty manager. She was very apologetic for all the above matters, and showed a true caring attitude. That was the turning point of our stay. She was such a polite, understanding and accommodating lady, and was really willing to take care of our every need and go extra miles for us. One example was that she stayed back a few hours the next day just to ensure our checkout and everything else was handled smoothly. We were really impressed with the high service standard provided by her. Mr Ken from front desk also provided outstanding service to us and was always there for us, almost like our personal butler. He was extremely warm and nice to our son, carrying him and playing with him, and our son really liked him a lot.

Now back to the hotel itself:
1. The room
Our family garden room is bright and roomy. They provide children’s slippers and bathrobes which are cute. The bathroom is very spacious, especially the shower cubicle, just to my liking. They gave little children soft toy frog, which made my son really happy.

2. The children facilities
There are children’s pools with 3 water slides and a kids’ water play area. The pool area is very nice, although crowded. My son played in the swimming pools for the whole day and refused to take his nap. The only other swimming pool in Singapore that we feel is equally nice and attractive to young children is the one in Hard Rock Sentosa.

There is an indoor playground called cool zone, which is nice with big slides, but it is only for 5 years old and above. There is a toddler room which would be interesting for 2.5 years old and under. My 3 years old boy didn’t even want to play in that room. So there is really an age gap there. There is no suitable indoor playground for 2.5 years to 5 years old. And this could really be a problem in rainy days.

3. The dining experience
The breakfast at third floor has a long queue when we were there at 9.30am. There were about 20 people queuing. We only saw such a long queue once in Conrad Singapore. Management should really do something about this. We checked with the reception staff whether we can pack some food instead of dine-in so that we didn’t need to spend half an hour to queue, answer was no, take away food is not allowed. This is weird, for most Shangri-La properties we have stayed even allow in-room breakfast. Anyway, when we walked into the breakfast area, we noticed that a lot of tables were empty but not yet cleared. So maybe the management can assign more staff to clean the tables and reduce the waiting time. The spread is usual Shangri-La standard, plentiful and with good varieties. Here they have a children’s station, where children can get their own cutleries and food. This is a nice touch. Our son enjoyed getting his own strawberry milk all by himself there.

We tried the noodles at the 8 Noodles at Dine on 3 which were really delicious, especially the beef noodle and herbal fish noodle. It was so nice that we went there twice during out short stay.

We had our lunch at the poolside bar. The food was not tasty at all. My husband’s fish was tasteless. The chips in my son’s nuggets were very salty and my yangzhou fried rice was so dry and hard that I could barely swallow them. The restaurant manager happened to be there, asking around how was the food. When he approached me, I gave him my honest answer that my fried rice was too dry and hard. He appeared very shocked so I guess he was expecting a normal “everything all right” answer. Next, he asked me: “What do you mean by it is dry? It is our standard of serving fried rice here.” It is now my turn to be shocked. Eventually, he offered to redo the fried rice for me, which turned out to be better. The service there was lacking; staff was not very attentive or warm and cannot be compared with those in the breakfast venue. Unless you want to spend whole day in the swimming pools and don’t want to go through the troubles of getting changed to dine in other restaurants, don’t even bother to eat there.

4. Transportation
They have free shuttle bus to Vivo City every 20 minutes and the last departure from Vivo City back to hotel is at 11.40pm. This is really convenient. They also provide complementary re-entry tickets to Sentosa. For those who drive, they provide complementary parking coupon for their onsite parking. Just remember to get yours from front desk if they were not provided during check in like what happened to us.

Overall, our short staycation there was enjoyable and memorable. This wouldn’t be possible without the efforts from Ms. Shirley and her team members. We will be back as this is a convenient family friendly resort for us and we expect our next visit to be a much better experience.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank JandKFamily
Reviewed 30 October 2012

When I book Shangri-la, I expect nothing but the best. Unfortunately, at Rasa Sentosa, the risk of the crowd getting too big is high. The hotel is very big, but the pool area isn't. When too many families flog the pool, the relaxation you were hoping for quickly fades away. Noisy, too many people on a space that's just a little too small. But worse and unforgivable: the pool area staff get's clearly stressed and grumpy. To me, that is a big No-No for Shangri-la standards. The same holds for the breakfast. On the positive end, the rest of the grounds are very well kept and look stunning. When it comes to the beach, it's up to you: do you feel comfortable going into the water knowing there are hundreds of tanker ships lying just off the coast and there is an oil refinery just opposite? If yes, it's a nice beach. If no, it's frustrating and sun-bathing is your only option. But hey, that's Singapore! The outside restaurant Barnacle's is nice: good service, kind staff, nice ambiance and OK food. Very pricy though, but again, that's Singapore!

Room Tip: The cheaper backside rooms facing the jungle have a very dull view and you risk monkeys on your balc...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 October 2012

If you want to have stay in a location not sounded by buildings which is not common in Singapore Shangri la is the best hotel. Hotel is situated in a location facing beach and full of trees.
Hotel offers shuttle to Vivo city every 20 mints.

Room Tip: Request for room facing sea
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
Marina Bay
Marina Bay Sands
Marina Bay Sands
#40 of 317 in Singapore

Been to Shangri-La's Rasa Sentosa Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!