Having been to Universal Studios 2 times previously, we decided to stay elsewhere this round. Booked 2 rooms via the hotel website one week before our departure and all the larger family rooms with extra bed were taken up (i.e. Garden Deluxe and Poolview Deluxe). Nonethelesss, we got 2 Seaview Deluxe rooms which are smaller but my request for connecting rooms was granted by the hotel. We booked the airport transfer from the hotel and immediately greeted by the lovely hotel staff upon our arrival. She escorted us to our rooms, but unfortunately only one room was ready then (we arrived earlier than the standard check-in time). We didn't really make a big fuss as the hotel was really busy which we could tell by the number of guests gathering at the reception area.
The rooms are pretty small, but still acceptable. The hotel was nice enough to provide one round of free minibar and also some local snacks. We had the buffet dinner on the first night at Shell Cafe, and it was awesome! The hotel is truly family oriented as I spotted a fridge in the restaurant which provides baby food (those in jars which I used to buy from supermarkets while travelling). Though my toddler has outgrown the baby food age, I think it's worth mentioning that the hotel do cares for such details which help parents save some hassle travelling with babies.
We have stayed in a few Shangri-la hotels before and their breakfast buffet never disappoint. For this particular premise, they surprised me with cook-to-order eggs benedict, I had that almost everyday! I also took advantage of the TripAdvisor's advantage by indicating the promotional code in my booking and received S$40 dining credit per day per room. We ended up having most of our meals in the hotel and we found the food quality is good with reasonable price.
The highlight of the trip for my kids was the kids pool as it was equipped with 3 slides of different length and a waterplay area. Though we like the slides, I wish the hotel could improve the steps leading up to the slides as the surface are pretty rough and slippery, accidents could happen if one is not careful, especially kids running towards the slides excitedly. However, my concern is partyly mitigated by a hotel staff which controls the traffic up to the slides.
We brought some sand toys for the kids, but I would say the sea water and beach was quite dirty, especially after a heavy downpour, all kinds of rubbish washed up to the shore. I didn't let the kids swim in the sea, instead, they were contented with just playing sands by the beach.
Lastly, just for comparison ... This hotel premise very much resembles the other Shangri-la property in Penang, which is Golden Sands. However, we only paid 1/3 of Rasa Sentosa room rate for Golden Sands, and the experience was almost on par. It has an Adventure Zone which is similar to Cool Zone in Sentosa, but Adventure Zone admits adults, so the entire family can have fun together! For almost the same room rate, one could stay in Rasa Wing of Shangri-la Rasa Sayang, which offers complimentary afternoon tea and evening cocktails. So, if you are looking for alternative family holidays, I believe the Penang properties offer better value for money.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Shangri-La's Rasa Sentosa Resort, Singapore's only beachfront resort, is situated at Sentosa Island. Far from the hustle and bustle of the city, yet close to major attractions like Orchard Road, Little India and Clarke Quay, the resort is conveniently linked to mainland Singapore by a causeway. It is next to numerous attractions including the Universal Studios, Underwater World and Dolphin Lagoon. The business district is a mere 15 minutes away by car. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Agoda, Hotels.com, Southall Travel, Ebookers, HotelQuickly, Evoline ltd, 5viajes2012 S.L. and getaroom.com so you can book your Shangri-La's Rasa Sentosa Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Shangri-La`s Rasa Sentosa Hotel Sentosa Island
- Rasa Hotel Sentosa Island
- Shangri La Sentosa