“Good introduction to the history of Singapore”
Review of Fort Siloso

Fort Siloso
More attraction details
Owner description: This historic fort was part of Singapore's defenses for decades.
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Good introduction to the history of Singapore”
Reviewed 23 February 2014 via mobile

Despite the very modern (and tacky) overall feel to Sentosa Island, Fort Siloso is a great experience and very informative! My knowledge of the history of Singapore was pretty weak before my visit but there was a lot to learn and it made my whole visit to the country a lot more meanigful, relating what I read and saw in the Fort with what I was able to learn in the Changi prison museum and the Chinatown Heritage Centre!

• Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Caloundra, Australia
31 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Not impressed at all”
Reviewed 23 February 2014

My husband is very much into history and wanted to see Fort Siloso. We were disappointed with the lack of signage to tell you were the next exhibits were. The map we had was difficult to follow and we kept getting lost. There was no one around to give us any information and some of the areas were closed for renos. This place needs a huge overhaul to get the tourists in.

Visited February 2014
1 Thank Rhonda G
Somerset
97 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 255 helpful votes
“Good for those interested in history”
Reviewed 18 February 2014

My husband was keen to visit the Siloso Fort during our recent day at Sentosa. Neither of us knew exactly what to expect, but my husband is interested in history.

He was pleasantly surprised when we arrived at the fort to find that it was a major site during the Battle for Singapore in 1942. There is a small museum there, which meant that he no longer needed to visit the museum at Changi, which had been on our (his) list of places to see.

There is a shuttle service of replica old coaches to take you up to the fort, and bring you back down again. Although a lot of the old buildings and gun sites have been restored, some were still closed for maintenance during our visit. I found a shady place to sit and wait whilst my husband visited some of the buildings. It was not really the sort of place that interests me, but I suppose that having got him to accompany me to a cooking school a few days before, it was now his turn, and I had to put up with it.

He found the “Surrender Room” particularly interesting. The models and exhibits recall the surrender of the English to the Japanese in 1942, and the surrender of the Japanese to the English in 1945, both of which took place in the same room.

Although this site may not appeal to the younger generation, for people interested in the history of WW2, it is well worth a visit.

Visited February 2014
Plymouth, United Kingdom
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 34 helpful votes
“Really enjoyable”
Reviewed 25 January 2014

This was a good visit but due to skirmish we could not go down the tunnel. Very quiet no crowds but really educational spent a couple of hours there so quiet and you just take your time enjoying the peace.

Visited January 2014
Melbourne, Australia
34 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 66 helpful votes
“Historic WW2 museum was OK. Laser skirmish was fun”
Reviewed 23 January 2014

The historical WW2 museum was educational and reminded us the effort it took to unseat the Japanese invaders. The teenage boys however really enjoyed the laser skirmish. Matter in fact so did I. The visit was worth the effort. Great views across to the futuristic Reflections skyscrapers.

Visited December 2013