“Disappointed with so called 5-star hotel standard!”

W Singapore Sentosa Cove
Ranked #3 of 13 Hotels in Sentosa Island
Reviewed 24 December 2012

My fiancee and I was staying in this hotel on the 21st Dec 2012. Upon arrival, everything was good.. check in was efficient and the room was gorgeous etc.

However, things turn around when we went for the dinner buffet at their restaurant called Kitchen Table. The food was average and the worst part was the oyster! It was freshly open on the spot by the chef BUT he did not even bother to rinse the oyster after opening it! Plenty of cracked shell pieces were on the oyster meat!! It was lucky that we saw the scattered cracked shell pieces on the meats before swallowing them... Guys please be alert whenever you eat oyster. There are actually some irresponsible chefs who open for the sake of opening without even bother to rinse them!

After dinner, we went back to the room and were getting ready to shower. My fiancee turned on the shower head and noticed it was broken and leaking. Considering it is a newly opened hotel -- this is really bad! Practically speaking, hotels should to check to ensure the condition of the room are in order before assigning to the guest. I was wondering why Starwood group hotel's standard could be that low - assigning us the room with a broken and leaking shower head. Come on, this is the basic item you should at least make an effort to check everything is in order! This is not a blowed fuse bulb incident that is unforeseeable.

So, we made a complain and the technician came and told us "we are unable to fix now, please wait till tomorrow". The front desk called and suggest we changed room and I asked them to come up NOW and give us the key for the new room. We waited for 20 mins.. till the front desk called again asking whether we were ready.. I was really speechless.

Finally we got the new room and get to shower. Overall process took about an hour - from calling the technician to fix the shower head till we switched room - for the record the new room was only 2 doors away. When we filling up the bathub with water, we noted the sliding door was dirty - some white sticky thing on the sliding door. It was grossed that the housekeeper did not bother to clean it. We decided to live with it and did not bother to make a fuss.

We checked out the next day and were really surprised that the front desk did not even apologise or ask us for feedback for yesterday night! Guess we will not return to stay with this hotel anymore in view of their poor standard of service.. :(

Room Tip: Be alert when you eat fresh oysters to prevent your throat being cut by the cracked shell pieces! Al...
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank tandroidity
StephaneFabregoul, General Manager at W Singapore Sentosa Cove, responded to this reviewResponded 26 December 2012

Hello Johnie T,

I'm very sorry to learn about your disappointments. I have shared your concerns with our Executive Chef and our Director of style (W lingo for Executive housekeeper). Our focus remain on training our talents to make sure they keep delivering a true W experience. I would like to apologize for these incidents. Processes and procedures will be reviewed to avoid any future problems.

Warm Regards

Write a ReviewReviews (1,993)

Reviewed 24 December 2012

This is our 2nd stay in W Sentosa. we stayed for 3 nights. Our 1st stay was at the end of October and it was amazing that our daughter specially requested to stay here again for our mini Christmas vacation. Well, 2nd stay is even way more amazing. First of all, they give us upgrade. Our room this time has a balcony overlooking the pool, so nice. Then most of the staff that already working since our 1st stay remember us. The staffs on the front, Kitchen Table, the pool remember Our family and make us feel so welcome. I can see how the staff r really improving their services also (even though for me the 1st stay already great). The pool has more lounges, toys for children, towels and staffs that always there to help us. Breakfast have faster service, more options oh and have to try their cappuccino, one of the best ever. We also try the room service this time. we ordered the chicken rice and roast beef panini. the order come fast. the portion r big, the taste r good specially the panini. not really big fan of the chicken rice but not bad. The Whatever Whenever Service r been awesome though. I requested a lot of things, from extra blanket, ice cubes, extra tea bag, taxis, and others. they always there to provide it. Very awesome. :). overall love our stay there and will be back for sure. :)

Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
StephaneFabregoul, General Manager at W Singapore Sentosa Cove, responded to this reviewResponded 27 December 2012

Hello Atshaali,

Thanks for your support, glad to see you have again enjoy your stay. Really apprectiate you have noticed also some improvments! Our focus remain to drive high guest satisfaction.

Reviewed 17 December 2012

Great hotel. No cheap but a great place to stay in a part of Singapore that I havde studiously avoided in the past. The W is hipster-focused. I don't fall into that category. Nonetheless, it's brand new and looks great. I was there for a business get together. But really it's a place for people with income to dispose of to hang out.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank geoffps

Hello Geoffps,

Thanks for your support!

I'm glad to see that you have enjoy your stay with us, even if it was for business!

Hope to see you back for a relaxing time.

Best Regards

Reviewed 16 December 2012

We had a horrible travel to get to Singapore. We actually were supposed to go to Singapore we made a last minute decision in the airport to change to vacation here. When we arrived here the anxiety of the horrible travel here went out the window. The hotel was flawless, the staff was beyond excellent. The food was absolutely the best I have ever had in my life. I would like to say hats off to every chef, waiter, and waitress in the Kitchen Table at the W hotel. We eat at the buffet everyday day we were there. When they didn’t have something we wanted or ran out of something they served they made us special dish, compliments of the chef to honor there whatever, whenever policy. The rooms were huge, clean, and modern. There is not one bad thing I can think of to say about this hotel. It is a must see. We were so content with the hotel that we never went out into the city to explore Singapore the full 5 days we were there. The W is the only standard hotel that is out there for me. Where ever I go, I will be looking to see if the W is in the area.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple

WoW iwantohavefun

You made my day! Glad to hear that despite your "horrible travel"...that's your words...you could enjoy your stay with us. Your comments help me to motivate the team so I thank you for such words.

Hope to see you back soon.

Reviewed 16 December 2012

This is my first stay with W hotel with my friends, we stayed on the 14 Dec 2012. Upon arriving at the hotel, we were greeted and lead by the friendly staff at the main door as the front desk was not on level with the main door. First impression of the hotel was fun, funky yet with touch of glamour in their interior design that can be found around the hotel. Get your cameras ready for every inch of the hotel will bring you nice shots. Front desk was pretty much an open concept yet approachable was surrounded by panels of glasses around the lobby. There's a bar on the same level as front desk with nicely decorated with oriental with glamourous style, love their seqinned cushions!

Upon reaching the room the first thing that we notice was view from the balcony, we had a awesome facing the marina, the sea and the pool. So Surreal. Rooms comes with 2 queen sized beds with a stylish decorated bathroom, with flat screen and a nice bose system to enjoy. IPod dock are also available. But the air con's control panel seems not working as there's a point of time that we wanted to adjust seems not working and lightings in the rooms are slightly dim brightness can only be adjustment for the side lamp, probably i do not know how to use the switches? As it takes awhile to get use to them. Toiletries are from BLISS, smelling so resort with lemongrass flavour. Breakfast was at the Kitchen Table that served till 11am so no timing rush for people that wake up late. Spread of the food was average but overall experience was good. Pool was good, they even had a bar beside that you can enjoy ur favourite drink while you're basking in the sun. Oh yes, something to add on nearby W hotel there's a cold storage supermarket which is walking distance do check with the stuff if you needed urgent shopping for personal stuffs. Overall experience was good but the hotel location may be a little not convenient for those who intend to explore RWS, USS or other attractions of Sentosa thou the hotel do provide shuttle services but the timing are limited. They too also provided shuttle services to Vivo city and some parts in town at different timing. Experience was good will be back again with friends soon.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends

Hello dmajor1947,

Thanks for your comments. I'm glad to see you have enjoyed your stay with us. There is 4 sets of lighting in the room and you can use them as per your mood. Plugs are just located on the wall near the bedside table. They are named "Welcome", "Escape", "Runway" and the last one "Flirt"...will recommend the last one for a nice romantic time. Your comments will be shared with our Chefs regarding the spread of food on the buffet. You could also try next time our steak restaurant called SKIRT.
Looking forward to see you again at the W Singapore Sentosa Cove

Reviewed 16 December 2012

We stayed one night at the hotel. The quirky design and architecture met our expectations - the typical W style one would have associated it with.

Before checking in to the hotel, I tried calling them up to request for an early check in and to chnage my room reservation to a non-smoking room. However, this could not be promised till the day itself. She could only Help to put a note to my reservations. What happened to "whatever, whenever"? The checking in was done seamlessly on a Monday mid morning but I was still given a smoking room in the end.

The hotel only provides one way shuttle service at certain timings. I'm puzzled why two-way service aren't provided since the location isn't very accessible and there's also very limited dining options available.

Breakfast at kitchen table was a tad disappointing due to the lack of variety. It was a stark contrast from W Taipei and Maldives. The talents there seemed very inexperienced and we had problems trying to catch their attention on a few occasions as well. e.g. an omelette was over-cooked and they can't recommend any ala carte items for lunch. We were also surprised that Skirt was closed on a Monday night. Given so limited dining options available, shouldn't the restaurant be open?

The gym and pool facilities were great. Keep it up!

Overall, we enjoyed the stay there. It would have been fantastic if the dining and transportation options were great as well.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple

Hello runaholic,

Thanks for your feedback, I'm sorry to learn that you couldn't get the room of your choice. We have been running with a high occupancy the past few weeks. I agree that an option should have been proposed to you and the team will be reminded to do the same. Our focus remain on training our talents to make sure they deliver a true W experience. Your feedback will help us to improve our services. SKIRT restaurant is effectively closed on Monday and are working to keep it open every day for dinner early next year.

Looking forward to welcome you back very soon.

Best Regards

Reviewed 16 December 2012

I have stayed for one night at W Hotel Sentosa Cove. Upon reaching the hotel, it definitely give me a different feeling as compared to other hotels. Stepping into the hotel, modern designs and friendly staffs are all available at most areas of the hotel. I have originally booked for a marvelous suite and to my surprise, they have upgraded me to a Wow Suite. When the door of the suite opens, I really have the 'Wow' feeling. Spacious living room, bathtub and rainforest in the spacious bathroom, soft and comfy W signature bed and not forgetting to mention a private pool. The view from my room is simply superb as it was facing the pool and ocean. Everything is so wow minus its breakfast buffet. Having paid S$52 for an international breakfast buffet at The Kitchen Table, I am quite surprised that the variety of food is limited and more important not as tasty as I thought. Even the food at the Universal Studio Malacca Food Street tastes better than the breakfast. Disappointment with the breakfast buffet aside, the stay at W Hotel is wonderful.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the pool and ocean have a wonderful view. For people who want privacy, Wow Suite is a...
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Elvadecem

Hello Elvadecem,

Glad to read you have enjoy your stay with us. Your comments will be shared with our Chef regarding your breakfast experience. We always consider feedback as a gift and the only way to improve our services.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Sentosa Island
Hard Rock Hotel Singapore
#10 of 13 in Sentosa Island
Marina Bay
Marina Bay Sands
Marina Bay Sands
#40 of 317 in Singapore

Been to W Singapore Sentosa Cove? Share your experiences!