“Good, but could have been better”

W Singapore Sentosa Cove
Ranked #3 of 13 Hotels in Sentosa Island
Reviewed 4 January 2013

I love Starwood hotels and would take every opportunity to “experience” the hotels whenever possible. W Singapore is a beautiful hotel with nice deco and pool. You could take a relaxing stroll along the board walk in the area. The room is wonderful with different selection of coloured lighting. However, the W “experience” was a little let down by the inconsistence service. The talents are polite and greet you but the service lacks warmth, passion and enthusiasm. Give W Singapore time and it would be a great hotel.

Stayed Mid December 2012 for 2 nights.

Minor Areas for improvement
Shuttle service – Confusing shuttle frequency (Note: The shuttle bus has a “Guest” signage) and not all buses with the “W” logo pick up guests.

Arrival (4pm) - No offer to carry my bags up the flights of stairs. Only when I reached the lobby then realised there are two lifts by the corner.

Front Desk/House Keeping – I was given my room key but when I got to the room, it was not ready. I was left standing outside the room for about 7 mins for the housekeeping to complete their cleaning.

SPA – The masseuse did not introduce the facilities within the Spa Area. (Nevertheless, the massage was good)

Kitchen Table – The talent serving us was rather clueless on the dinner menu. The quality of the food does not justify the cost of the meal.

Checking Out – Talent simply inform me to check the bill and if it is in order sign on the dotted line. (Very cold service, no one bother to ask about my stay).

Compliments
The Marketing Director happens to be at the lobby when I check in and was warmly welcome by her to the hotel. That was a nice gesture and she has great personality.

Skirt – Dinner was excellent and top quality food is served (had the beef cheek, simply melts in your mouth). The service was outstanding and deserved mentioning (Well Done). The talents even helped to arrange for a mini cake to celebrate my partner's birthday.

Room Tip: Go for the Spectacular Room. Great View.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Tan23
StephaneFabregoul, General Manager at W Singapore Sentosa Cove, responded to this reviewResponded 9 January 2013

Hello Tan23,

Thanks for your feedback,

Really appreciate the time taken to send your comments. You will be pleased to know that we are currently revisiting our Guests shuttle. The new schedule should come out within the next few days. Our focus remain on training our employees and your feedback will help us to improve our services.

Hope to see you back very soon.

Reviewed 3 January 2013

We stayed here went it had only just opened so we did expect it to be slightly disorganized and reception was at check in and check out. Our room was very nice, the hotel it self was trendy, modern and sparkly new with a W humour twist. Excellent buffet style breakfast with good service, pool empty so perfect, the thing that let the hotel down for us was the reception staff (clueless) and main area bar staff, cocktails were awful, and reception staff really couldn’t be asked to be there. I would advise the management of this hotel to send the reception and bar staff on training to the W Seminyak, the staff there were ALL superb, friendly, helpful and gave excellent service at all times, they seem to really enjoy there work. Hopefully it will get better with time

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Panna

Hello Panna,

Thanks for your feedback,

Sorry to read you have experienced challenges with our reception and bar. Your comments will be shared with the concern manager. I can assure you that our focus remain on training to be sure our talents (W lingo for employees) deliver true W experience.

Reviewed 31 December 2012 via mobile

This is a W style which makes me feel defference comparing the other of 5 stars.

The decoration of this hotel very unique , my room located on 4th FL facing the pool and yacht club , nice view !!

Here is absolutely for new young generation ppl , you can enjoy the large pool until in late night which so lifely and sexy , as well as a pool's toy are available for playing not only for a child

Working staffs here were polite and always say hi to us everywhere you walking within hotel area ,

Breakfast at The table kitchen restaurant also nice , varity and tasty . I love grilled bacon here

• Stayed: December 2012
StephaneFabregoul, General Manager at W Singapore Sentosa Cove, responded to this reviewResponded 2 January 2013

Hello Yossakorn,

Thanks for your support, I highly value your feedback as a senor Contributor to Tripadvisor!

Best Regards

Reviewed 31 December 2012

The W Singapore Away Room seem to be possibly the best luxury spot for a staycation for my family. After a very long and tiring 2012, I needed a break that would fit my family of 4 including a 2 month old and a 5 year old.

The Private Plunge Pool seem to be the perfect surprise for my 5 year old as she enjoys swimming privately with her mum and dad. The room was surprisingly spacious and comfortable. The food at the Kitchen Table was fine but the service from the staff was excellent. Wasn't expected to be WOWed by my overall experience because of the reviews I am reading here but generally I m very please with my stay.

W Hotel Singapore seem to be targeting more towards the young tastemakers who enjoys a luxury lifestyle destination and I have to say that it lives up to the expectation. But the management has to understand that young tastemakers who enjoys a luxury experience to do get married and do have children. Maybe some of the services could be tweak a little to make it slightly more family friendly and yet being a hip and sexy spot for parents to have their children to tag along.

One more feedback that I hope the GM Stephane Fabregoul would really consider is to have a higher frequency of bus transport to fetch and bring their guest to Resorts World Sentosa and maybe extend it to the Beach Station( which is currently lacking). Though a walk from Cove Arrival Plaza to the W Hotel would be nice on a good weather but I had a really bad experience with the rain(especially when it rains a lot in Singapore), alternatively i would suggest the management to consider having a high frequency transportation between W Hotel and Cove Arrival Plaza to maintain the high luxury experience.

My daughter is looking forward to return and we may do so after all.

Room Tip: Away rooms are great because it comes with a private plunge pool but located on the ground level.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family

Hello danialharis,

Thanks for your comments and your suggestion,

The shuttle schedule have been reviewed a few times to cater to our guests expectations. We are still receiving feedback and might adjut it within the next few month. We do provide also transfer to Sentosa Cove Arrival Plaza with our buggy. This is on request and based on availability.

Looking forward to welcome you back very soon.

Reviewed 29 December 2012

Thumb Up especially for The Kitchen Table staffs. During dinner, The Kitchen Table staffs provided free cake & unlimited desserts when they discovered that we were celebrating our wedding anniversary. My Beloved Dear Dear mentioned to the The Kitchen Table staff that he likes "kopi" and commented that no gourmet coffee taste like those coffee shop kopi. The next morning, the staff specially brewed the "kampong style" kopi for him. He even found out my name from the hotel room computer system and gave me a surprise gourmet coffee with my name written on it.
Everyone that served us during our 2 nights stay provided us excellent services, from the reception, the lounge, The Kitchen Table, the Whatever Whenever services, have truly made our special moment memorable.
It is not just about the fabulous hotel ambience, people attitude do counts.
Keep it up! W Singapore!!

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Shanie_t

Hello Shanie_t

Appreciate your wow comments and your support, Our talents passion is to surprise our guests. I'm glad to see, in your cae, we made it!.

Hope to welcome you back soon

Best Regards

Reviewed 29 December 2012

Checked into the hotel on Christmas eve and stayed till Boxing day. I called up the hotel 3 to 4 days prior to my check in and requested for a baby crib and sterilizer to be placed in my room upon check-in, but this request was not followed up and I had to call them to do so when I checked into the room. The items did not arrive till 1/2 hr later, so I was disappointed. To make it worse, the crib that arrived was totally unsuitable for my 8 mth old baby. The mattresss was so low, one had to literally bend over entirely just to put the baby in. The railings were also exposed and not bounded by a cushion bumper surrounding it. This was a big no-no for a crawling baby who will knock her head against the metal railings. It was obvious that who ever made the orders for the baby crib was not a parent himself or herself and had decided on an impractical baby crib for the hotel. W Hotel is not just a hotel for funky singles with no families in tow. Increasingly, it is frequented by families with very young kids, so this is an issue that needs to be addressed if W Singapore needs to attract a wider range of travellers. I raised the issue with a lady with long hair who was assisting at the Whatever Whenever desk who noted it down on paper. However, she failed to follow up on the matter as she had promised,so this was another disappointment. My whole family did not have a good sleep throughout the stay as the crib was not available for use and my baby refused to sleep on the bed in between us. We had stayed at another hotel in the Marina area earlier in the year but we did not face this problem at all as they had a suitable baby crib with a suitable cushion bumper and even toiletries for the baby. What a nice touch ! I cannot say the same for W Singapore however.The pillows were also too soft for our liking. Can we consider a pillow menu here?

Check in was also slow as there was absolutely no coordination between the bellboy and the Welcome desk. My luggage took more than 1/2hr to get to my room. It only did so after 2 phonecalls and by then, my baby was crying as the milk bottles were in the luggage which arrived extremely late.

There was a good spread of food during breakfast at the Kitchen,however it was obvious that the staff at the dim sum and noodles counter were not coping well. People were crowding all over the counter and the food took a long time to get to us as there was no system to ensure who gets their food first.This is an area that needs immediate attention as it was obvious that the staff manning the area were not coping well as they appeared to be constantly flustered by the never-ending orders coming in. When I took a walk outside the Kitchen, I was appalled to see the sight of leftover food in the open area and flies were everywhere. As the staff was busy, I noticed that the leftover food was not cleared until a long while later. The staff just did a quick wipe and did not even bother to sanitise the tables a little. The same was done with the baby chairs which were left in a stack in the open area. I shudder to think how dirty the baby chair was when my baby sat on it !!!

As an SPG member, I expected to have some extra perks during my stay, but this was sadly missing. I really have to think twice about returning to W Singapore for another stay as it was a BIG let down as service was really not up the so called W standard. I had deliberately waited a few months after its opening to stay here so that they would have more time to address any teething issues. W Singapore obviously needs more time to settle in and raise their service standards to be on par with comparable 5 star hotels in the Marina area. Till then, I would not consider staying at W Singapore till it has accomplished that.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends

Hello Kichi555,

I'm sorry to lear about your disappointment. I have shared your comments with the concerned department. Regarding the baby crib, we follow our international standards and we don't keep anything else in in the crib for safety reason. I like your suggestion regarding the baby amenities and it will be implemented soon.

Looking forward to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed 28 December 2012

Currently staying at W Singapore. Welcome was sensational and every staff member so far shows a great desire to please. The breakfast was perfect. A high quality buffet, with the food cooked and presented to perfection and all with fresh ingredients. An lovely extra touch is the staff coming around and offering unique special dishes.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family

Hello Aussietraveller244,

Thanks for such a great feedback, looking forward to welcome you again soon

Also consider these accommodations in or near Sentosa Island
Hard Rock Hotel Singapore
#11 of 13 in Sentosa Island
Marina Bay
Marina Bay Sands
Marina Bay Sands
#41 of 317 in Singapore

Been to W Singapore Sentosa Cove? Share your experiences!