“Second stay and better than the first”

W Singapore Sentosa Cove
Ranked #3 of 13 Hotels in Sentosa Island
Reviewed 1 July 2013

We are a family of 2 adults and 2 children aged 6 & 2. We came for 1 night stay cation at my daughter's request as it was her birthday (she enjoyed the inflatable animal floats at the pool). This time round reservation was a breeze and we had no issue getting a child roll away bed unlike the first time. The first time was end of last year. The reception is also more friendly and made eye contact. Even when he was not able to answer a question, he politely direct us to the guest relation officer who welcome us. We were returning guests and hubby is SPG gold member so we had a fabulous room this time. Previously we stayed in the wonderful room and I will say both rooms are equally good but the fabulous room had a pool view and being on a high floor we could also see the marina so that felt relaxing. A little cake was provided for my daughter albeit without candles but definitely appreciated. We had a cocktail at the well designed lounge and they were kind to admit children being a hotel bar. When the young ones got a little mischievous and started to run about, I didn't feel any pressure from the staff too. However, I decided to leave quickly after finishing the drink as we do not want to disrupt other guests. I like the room decor, the amenities and comfortable bed and though the price is a tad higher than most other 5 stars hotels in Spore, it can be justified. They have now also added shuttle services to Resorts world (though only 1 way it seems and return trip would be better), and also to Vivo. We didn't get to use it though as we drove in/out with complimentary parking. Overall, an enjoyable staycation for the family. One note though, the door man are not as friendly this time compared to our last stay when it was manned by part-timers/students. The last stay, the hotel was newly opened and though the doorman look young and lacked experience they made up for it by being most friendly.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
StephaneFabregoul, General Manager at W Singapore Sentosa Cove, responded to this reviewResponded 3 July 2013

Hello TeoLK,

Thank you for your review and your loyalty as husband is our SPG gold member and so happy you stayed with us again! We strive to provide excellent personal service to make your stay special and unique. I will be sharing your feedback with my team, I am sure they would be happy to hear from you. As for your comment of our doorman, I will remind my team that they should be more friendly to our guests, again thank you for your comment, much appreciated it. We look forward to welcoming you back on your next trip.

Best regards,

Write a ReviewReviews (1,996)

Reviewed 26 June 2013

Stayed here for 2 nights after a trip to Maldives. As a Platinum SPG member they upgraded me into one of those marvelous suite facing to the pool. Nice room, nice place, attractive interior, etc. Everything was perfect except the people in their coffee shop (the kitchen). My son and I received a very rude experience from the associates there. First, they tried to deny my son from entry because he was wearing a robe (the hotel's robe) and also the hotel's slipper. After debating for a bit he was allowed to enter with the robe taken off. Luckily he was also wearing a t-shirt and a short inside. We didn't know that they have such a strict dress code after all this hotel is located in an island which is quite far from the city center. And, guests stay in this hotel to relax and wind up a little bit. Besides, I also saw another guest was wearing the same slipper in the restaurant. After all, it was breakfast time and like my son, he went straight to breakfast from the swimming pool. Second bad experience also happened at the Kitchen restaurant. It was 11am and they rudely inform us who were still finishing our dim sum to leave the restaurant because they were starting their lunch buffet. I was amazed that they did that to us since it was completely empty and there was no line of people going into the restaurant. They even gave me a bad look when I said I would need another 5 to 10 minutes to finish my breakfast. I didn't know why with these people but my breakfast experience certainly went wrong in this brand new hotel!!

Room Tip: Pool view rooms
2  Thank GeorgeSingapore
StephaneFabregoul, General Manager at W Singapore Sentosa Cove, responded to this reviewResponded 1 July 2013

Hello GeorgeSingapore,

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts on your recent stay with us. We understand it can be frustrating when you are travelling on your personal time, especially for pleasure, and your expectations are not met.

I have shared your comments with my team at the kitchen table; they should be more friendly and helpful to our guests. We hope you will give us another shot, and if so, please do not hesitate to reach out to us, we will do our best to bring you and your family a memorable stay.

Reviewed 25 June 2013

We booked here as a last minute treat after getting married. It was exceptional from the decor, food, drinks and the room. Special mention to the front desk personnel as well as Anna, one of the guest relation officers. They made it truly memorable and spoiled us with many many treats. Oh and the bar staff who entertained us with his creative cocktails and cucumber carving skills and Mike who was great serving us afternoon tea. Fabulous service all around, a truly memorable way to spend a special occasion!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
StephaneFabregoul, General Manager at W Singapore Sentosa Cove, responded to this reviewResponded 30 June 2013

Hello Euanbeer,

Thank you for sharing your great review with us. I am very pleased to hear your stay with us at W Singapore Sentosa Cove during your big day celebrations.

Thank you for your kind words on my team. This is greatly appreciated and I will certainly share this with all of them.

I look forward to your return to W Singapore Sentosa Cove.

Reviewed 25 June 2013

We stayed for 2 nights over the weekend with our 3 kids, aged 9,6 and 1.

The Fabulous room was sufficient for all of us and it was clean, comfortable and spacious.

I liked the location of the hotel too with an amazing view from our room.

The pool, gym were great and well-quipped. My kids loved the pool though it did get a tad crowded on saturday. It was strange though that when we went to the pool, they told us there was a limit to the number of towels per room though when staff saw that we had 3 kids, gave us more towels. We also got to see a famous football star which made my husband's weekend.

And I loved the buffet breakfast at the Kitchen Table. Not a huge selection but good quality, well-presented food (which is more important).

The only gripe i have is the lack of a shuttle service from the hotel to other parts of sentosa island. It was ok as we had our car with us but I would think it is not so convenient for overseas guest.

Hello alow,
Thank you for sharing your great review with us. I am very pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us at W Singapore Sentosa Cove, including our excellent location and the service provided to you by my Team. These warming comments hold great value and I will definitely be sharing these with my entire team.
Please let me share with you that we provide shuttle bus transfer between our hotel to Sentosa island regularly every day. Please do check with our talents next time when you visit. We would be more than happy to assist you!

I look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit.

Reviewed 24 June 2013

We stayed here last week, and we were not impressed.

Maybe I have been so impressed with the W in Taipei and Bali, my standards and expectations have already been set to HIGH.

W Hotel is supposed to be vibrant, energetic and happening.
This felt like a Westin hotel with purple lights scattered throughout the hotel complex.

In other W Hotels, you would be greeted by energetic / motivated staff. Here, it felt like any other typical Singaporean hotel. Boring & conservative.

Check-in was a bit slow. Despite all counters being manned by staff, it still took 15-20 min to check-in.

When we entered our Fabulous Room - we were disappointed. It was very ordinary. Except for the purple lights, I wouldn't even know it was a W.
Bed was good, but the pillows were a bit too soft. No neck support.
The toilet seat area was also a little cramped. Reminded me of an airplane toilet.

Breakfast was packed.
We got there around 9am, and were disappointed that we were escorted to sit at the Kitchen bar counter, where we had to share a long table with about 10 other strangers.
We asked the female talent (ie. waitress) to move us as soon as another table opened up, and watched as she said OK then went on with her duties. We were not moved the entire breakfast. Poor follow-up / not bothering to do her job? I would love to complain & give the name, but she wasn't wearing any name tags that I could see (lucky for her, maybe that is why she didn't bother with giving any good service?).

We also noticed that the Kitchen Table breakfast staff seemed overwhelmed, and did not have a system with placing guests at the table. We came back once and found another couple had been seated at our seats. When we mentioned this to them, they got the staff to move them to another seat.

We paid good money to be seated at a crappy table during breakfast, and then we have to fight to keep our crappy seats? Wow.

I also saw a couple other guests also being seated at other people's tables, and then forced to move again. Where is the system? If there was a seating system, I couldn't see it.

Food was OK. The eggs benedict hollaindaise sauce was an epic failure, it tasted like vinager. I did not bother to complain because again, the staff looked overwhelmed.

The pool was nice and big, with fun "toys" and floating seats.

The gym was well equipped.
The spa was so-so.
The whirlpool was useless - barely any whirl to it.
The infra-red sauna was also useless. Stayed 10 min and didn't feel a difference.

The shuttle bus is also a joke. It is more like a large van. Please note that it only holds about 10-15 people. And there is only one bus running every 30-60 min, depending on the time/day.
We got there 20 min before the "bus" was scheduled to depart (around 2pm) and we could not get on the bus. We had to line up for the next bus, 30-60min later.

If you are unable to catch a bus, then you need to wait for a taxi. And there are not that many taxis around Sentosa Cove, as it is in a very exclusive and remote area of the island.

I wouldn't stay here again. What's the point? If I had wanted to stay at a Westin with purple lights, I would have booked a Westin hotel and brought my own purple flashlight.

Room Tip: The Away Suite doesn't look impressive, for what you pay. Unless they upgrade you for free, I wo...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank MacGrumpy
StephaneFabregoul, General Manager at W Singapore Sentosa Cove, responded to this reviewResponded 27 June 2013

Hello MacGrumpy,

Thank you for your comments and I am very sorry to learn about your experience.
Design is somewhat subjective, principles of what makes something attractive.
In regards to your comments of our talents, I have shared your comments with my team and department heads, I will follow up closely and make sure it will not happen again.

Look forward to welcoming you again.

Reviewed 23 June 2013

I'm a Platinum member with the Starwood group. This was my first time at a W hotel, and I must admit, it was the best hospitality experience I've ever had. I stayed for nearly 2 weeks as part of a business trip. I wanted the seclusion away from the hustle and bustle of the CBD, and this location definitely offered that. Sentosa Cove is such a great neighbourhood, and still only a 15 minute taxi in the morning to the financial district. The staff at the hotel were incredible - some of whom became great friends of mine. My birthday rolled around and they organised celebrations and cake, and just made me feel like a part of the W family. I'd recommend this hotel for solo business travellers who want more of a laid back hotel feel, for families who want access to Sentosa Island, or for couples who want a nice getaway.

Room Tip: The Away Rooms
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
StephaneFabregoul, General Manager at W Singapore Sentosa Cove, responded to this reviewResponded 26 June 2013

Hello JoelN77,

Thank you for such a great review! I am very happy to see that we were able to provide you with a great experience. Thank you for also sharing the birthday celebration you had while staying with us. My team is well trained and I am so grateful that they were able to leave a lasting impression with you. I hope that we are able to welcome you back soon. Please reach out so that we may personally welcome you back.

Reviewed 19 June 2013

Very chic but comfortable hotel. Interiors are modern and fresh while works of art abound it's almost a gallery! Great food, pool, gym. Lots of restaurants nearby. Staff are friendly. Rooms are spacious and bed oh so comfy! Location is outside the city for peace and quiet, but it's only a taxi ride away. Good for runners - plenty of spaces to run!

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank Mary D
StephaneFabregoul, General Manager at W Singapore Sentosa Cove, responded to this reviewResponded 25 June 2013

Hello Mary D,

Thank you for sharing your great review with us. I am very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us at W Singapore Sentosa Cove.

Your kind words on our team are greatly appreciated. I will certainly be sharing your comments with them. Thank you.

Hope to see you again soon!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Sentosa Island
Hard Rock Hotel Singapore
#10 of 13 in Sentosa Island
Marina Bay
Marina Bay Sands
Marina Bay Sands
#40 of 317 in Singapore

Been to W Singapore Sentosa Cove? Share your experiences!