“It could be better”

Ranked #4 of 13 Hotels in Sentosa Island
Singapore, Singapore
“It could be better”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2014

Decided to stay with W Hotel as a romantic getaway with my wife after reading many good reviews about it. I am also interested to see how it fares compare with the other hotels in Sentosa such as Festival Hotel, Equarius Hotel, etc.

I almost regretted my decision.

I was really looking forward to my stay in the Fabulous Room as according to W Hotel’s website the room offers the guests “Panoramic WET® Pool and South China Sea Views”. However my heart sank when I stepped into the balcony – the so-called “panoramic views” were blocked by several palm trees right in front of my balcony! To compensate for the poor view, the room has a larger balcony compare to the other rooms on the same floor but it is of no use to me.

The pillows are also terribly soft and I had a tough time trying to fall asleep. That was the 1st time I managed to wake up at 6.30am without the assistance of an alarm clock during a hotel stay. Ironically it turned out to be a blessing in disguise as when we reached The Kitchen Table at about 7am for breakfast there were only a few guests around. I was mentally prepared to expect screaming children running around, rude staffs, etc, after reading some negative reviews of The Kitchen Table, but the breakfast turned out to be one of the pleasant moments in my stay with W Hotel. The staffs at The Kitchen Table were friendly and attentive, and I love the breakfast spread. My wife loves the duck noodles soup and I think she had at least three bowls that morning.

Most of the staffs in the hotel I have encountered are very friendly, especially a housekeeping aunty. Initially I was still feeling grumpy about the room but her cheerful greeting and sweet smile saved the day. It is a pity I didn't managed to get her name. And I have to mentioned the lovely smell of the hotel, it so fresh and inviting. If only my workplace smells like that.

A few additional notes for my fellow travelers, firstly if you want to go to the swimming pool in the evening, one of the way is through the door beside the gym. Secondly you need to check the mini bar in the room when you checked in. When we checked into our room the mini bar was empty but I didn’t think much of it at the point of time. But when checking out, although the staff did not say anything but from her facial expressions I don’t think she really believe me.

Thirdly if you are taking the shuttle bus directly from the W Hotel to Vivo City, be sure to be at the waiting area early as it is not a big shuttle bus and has limited seats. And lastly if you are Singaporean and if you don’t drive, you will need to take a cab to the hotel as the shuttle bus driver will not let you board the bus without the hotel room key card or hotel complimentary pass. Unfortunately you will not have these two items with you because you have not checked in yet. Silly right? Another alternative is to take Sentosa Bus 3 at Beach Station and alight at Sentosa Cove Village and walk to the hotel. You can also checked out the restaurants along the way.

Overall it was a good experience, and my wife has been asking me to book the Away Room this coming Christmas. But frankly I am not so sure if I am coming back any sooner.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Alson_Teo
StephaneFabregoul, General Manager at W Singapore Sentosa Cove, responded to this review, 6 May 2014
Hello Alson_Teo,
Thank you for your review and I am glad that you and your wife had a good time here with us and found our talents (staff) friendly. It is important to us that you feel comfortable and welcome here. Please allow me to share with you that we do have a firmer pillow in the room wardrobe, my apologies as my team did not inform you upon check-in. As for the shuttle bus, we are sorry for the inconvenience it may have caused you, as it is our hotel policy to protect the usage of our shuttle for hotel guests only. Actually our shuttle bus driver has been instructed to accept reservation confirmations too. Again I am sorry to know that you did not enjoy your stay to its fullest. I hope you will give us a chance to welcome you back in the future.
Best regards,

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (385)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2014

A great hotel with very nice staff. Specially the staff from bars and restaurants within the hotel are well trained and friendly. This is not easy to find in Singapore. We stayed for a 2 nights and would do it again although the pool area is a bit noisy because of the nearby marina.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms to the pool, not to the entrance of the hotel
Hello Guntsche,
Thank you for your review. I am glad to hear you enjoyed staying here with us! Do come and stay with us again soon.
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2014

This is one amazing hotel! I've stayed at a few SPG hotels, mostly Sheraton and Westin, but W, is on another level. I've stayed at Aloft before also, but again; on another level.

Reminiscent of Hard Rock Hotels, W Singapore, i believe raises the stakes for any other hotel conveying this same 'vibe'.

Our stay began with a hotel pick up from Changi, in a W Audi, with a great driver - young, very informative and talkative - we all had a great chat and few laughs - the seat-back TVs cleverly highlighted the W Singapore, and the events it has/will be hosting - clever publicity/marketing!

Once we arrived at the hotel, we were greeted by porters, and a young lady, whose name I did not get - She was our 'personal concierge'? she took us to our room - by-passed counter check-in and went straight into our waiting Away Room - Awesome!! in-room check in, with minimal fuss! She was awesomely polite and professional, and is definitely in need of recognition from this hotel!

The Away rooms are great - private plunge pool, and an awesome bathroom, with outstanding room amenities! there is so much I could say, but I feel as though words wouldn't do it justice - it is something you'd have to experience to truly understand. The stand-out aspect of this room was the bathtub - it was an 'outside-inside' tub! again, something you'll have to see to understand!

Turn down was lovely - again, as we were celebrating ur 6 year anniversary, we had gone out shopping, only to return to see the room set up with lovely red bedding and love-heart bath mats, and a box of chocolates! a very 'sweet' thought on behalf of the W - thank you.

The spa is nicely set up with a whirl-pool, and jacuzzi and an infrared sauna. The steam room was unfortunately out of order when we were there. The pool area is great - the pool is nicely heated too!! It's a very nice area to just hang and chill - but the only downside was that the pool bar seemed to only be staffed by one man who was also on pool deck duty too! trying to get orders from the bar, and also from guests lounging around the pool seemed too much for him - poor guy.

Breakfast at the Kitchen Table is good - expect your standard breakfast items, plus a bit more! the concept is really nice, especially the way they do juices in jars! very cute.

Drinks at WooBar are definitely not to be missed by anyone - even if you are just visiting! it is definitely fun!! they have a lot of drink promotions during the week which is good! the Cocktail bong is pretty fun and delicious - but again, ask the barman if they they can go off-list, for some of your faves.

Definitely a hotel which we will come back to - no questions asked. Thank you W Singapore for an awesome end to our holiday. It definitely ended too soon.

Room Tip: splurge out and get an Away room - they're worth it! private pool and outstanding amenities!
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
StephaneFabregoul, General Manager at W Singapore Sentosa Cove, responded to this review, 30 April 2014
Hello hopdan88,
Thank you very much for your great review! We are thrilled to know you enjoyed staying with us so much. I am glad to know our team gave you such a wonderful experience! Thank you for staying with us and hope to see you again real soon.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2014

We stayed here for 6 nights after a 10 day tour of Vietnam.It really is as good as everyone says in their reviews-huge,tastefully decorated rooms with every amenity you can think of, lovely bathroom with Bliss bath and shower products, comfortable beds with bedding changed every 2 days, beautiful pool area and great breakfast with an enormous choice of food. The staff are all friendly, helpful and very welcoming. There are free shuttle buses which take you to the beach, Vivo City shopping mall, and to the financial district in the morning and pick up in the evening, great if you want to go sight seeing in the city There are lots of bars and restaurants in the Quayside Village very close by, but they are very pricy and not all that good, apart from the Cove Stadium bar, which I would recommend.
I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this hotel if you're looking for a bit of luxury.

Room Tip: The standard Wonderful rooms all face the city and have no balcony, but I don't think you need t...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
StephaneFabregoul, General Manager at W Singapore Sentosa Cove, responded to this review, 28 April 2014
Hello Evelyn L,
Thank you for your nice review! I am delighted to hear how much you enjoyed staying here with us. Do come and stay with us again soon.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2014

The hotel scenery was very nice and nearby yacht port. The room was beautiful with beautiful light color changeable. Hotel breakfast was great And the hotel interior is so chic and modern style.
Overall was such a great experience of our staying, thanks.

Room Tip: no amenities in bathroom beside the pool like other 5star hotel. Should to prepare from the room.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Hello Pooomy,
Thank you for your nice feedback. it is great to know you enjoyed staying here with us. We look forward to welcoming back real soon.
Perth
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2014

We spent Easter at the W Sentosa Cove and this hotel and its staff exceeded my expectations. The hotel itself is new and the pool is huge and warm which was a plus for my wife and two young children. The lush gardens and expansive size of the hotel give it a real resort feel. When we stayed there were lots of young families and children were made to feel welcome - nothing was too much for the staff. I was especially impressed with Cara (hotel manager / events coordinator I think). She solved all of our minor problems and touched base with us throughout our stay. Overall a perfect family holiday location. M and C

Room Tip: Choose a room with a balcony overlooking the pool
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Hello Marc C,
Thank you, what a fantastic review! I am thrilled to know that our services exceeded your expectations, I will share your good words with Cara (W insider) and the team, I am sure it would be the best way to motivate them and keep up their good work!
Thank you for staying with us and hope to see you again soon.
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2014 via mobile

We stayed at the W for the Easter break. I have to admit it was the worst service I have ever seen. The restaurant staff were rude, the pool side bar tender was even more rude. They got our requests all wrong. The only good thing is the steaks at skirt (their restaurant).

Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank Sidharth B
Hello Sidharth B,
Thank you for your comments. Please accept my sincere apologies for your experience with us, it is very frustrated to know you found our staffs were rude in the restaurant and by the pool, and I will pay extremely close attention to these areas and personal following up with the team. I believe with my better supervision in these areas would help to prevent it happen again.
Again thank you for staying with us and hope you will give us a chance to show you the true W experience.
Kind regards,
Marina Bay Sands
Marina Bay Sands
#35 of 306 in Singapore
4.0 of 5 bubbles 21,084 reviews

Been to W Singapore Sentosa Cove? Share your experiences!