“The Little Thing That Matters”

W Singapore Sentosa Cove
Ranked #3 of 13 Hotels in Sentosa Island
Reviewed 5 June 2014

My wife was so impressed by their toilet amenities, Bliss, that it's about the only thing she remembered about the hotel, as she's a huge fan of the brand. This was probably a good thing as she forgot the tacky furniture, the so-so breakfast in the tiny restaurant, the bundles of phone plugs on the bedside but none worked for our phones, iPhone 5 (the most popular phone on the market), the supposedly awesome sound system that didn't work (again it only worked for iPhone 4 or older), the bed frame that protruded at the corners of the mattress that bruised her legs.

But then she might also forgot the spacious bathroom, the overall quirky design that we might not experience elsewhere, and the nicest feature of our stay there, the 24 hour pool.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Kit C
StephaneFabregoul, General Manager at W Singapore Sentosa Cove, responded to this reviewResponded 10 June 2014

Hello Kit C,
Thank you for your review. I am glad to know you and your wife had a pleasant stay with us and loved our pool & bliss products! As for your comment of our furniture, I am sorry as design is very subjective and actually we did receive a lot of positive comments about our funky furniture, art pieces and design. Hope you will give a chance to visit W in other countries and see if you will like the theme there!
Look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 2 June 2014

When choosing W for our weekend away we knew we were venturing into unknown territory having read various reports about the W hotels however nothing could have prepared us for the extraordinary experience that staying in a W entails.
From the entrance lobby to checkin and on to your room one is assailed on all sides by quirky designs, chairs that cannot be sat in rubbish containers that look like R2D2 and the most intriguing wood carvings and designs.
Check in was fine though we did have a bit of a problem understanding the person who checked us in, I am not sure which country she was from but her heavily accented english was a struggle for us.
The room was a revelation, full of all kinds of wonderful designs that were totally not functional and in some cases such as the lights totally dysfunctional.
The large chair could not be sat in as it only allowed the supine position, in addition to this there was a stool and a retro office chair which could not be adjusted so don't think about entertaining in your room.
The remote for the TV and its separate sound system needed a PhD to understand and operate so we tended not to use it although on one of the occasions that we did there was no sound for that particular channel, this problem was fixed by the engineer but recurred the next day after which we did not bother again.
Because we never did totally master the light switches the entrance area was always in the dark so making tea or coffee was a very touchy feely process, not such a good idea with a hot kettle, meanwhile the bathroom lights seemed to have a life of their own with the main light switching on and off at random.
The bedside tables were simply awful but again beautifully designed, no drawers on either side, mine was of metal which clanged when you put something on it and the other side had something that looked like it grew in a swamp.
My wife commented on the lack of drawer space generally and tried to imagine what it would be like with a family.
The next door plumbing provided a regular wake up call at all times of the day and sometimes at night, whilst the beautifully designed shower/toilet door ensured you always got your feet wet after the shower had been used.
Turn down service was non existent and our bed looked like it had been made by a recalcitrant teenager.
This hotel does not have a pillow menu so stating my preference on the booking website was a waste of time. I asked for firm pillows but those on offer were still way too soft so I had given up on getting my buckwheat pillow.
Arriving back in the hotel after dinner on the first night we bumped into the Guest Relations Manager Shane whose last name I did not get, he asked if we were OK and I told him the pillow problem, he said he would try to get one from the shopping mall if it was still open, at 11.30 I got my brand new pillow, which is outstanding service by any standards.
The breakfast is good though I recommend sitting in the Skirt side as the Kitchen Table side gets very crowded, if you do go into Kitchen Table look up at the ceiling because that's where all the kitchen tables are!
The Woo Bar is a good spot to have a drink but there is a very nasty practice of putting the "Promised" ( the W word for Reserved) sign on all the tables this is in a bar for goodness sake, we finally found a spot right on the edge of the bar adjacent to the cash desk/greeter station, worth noting was that for the entire time we sat there not one person sat at any of the "Promised" tables though several guests did come in and left because there was nowhere to sit.
On Sunday at the once a month party on the lawn this procedure was repeated, every single table had the dreaded sign on it so not surprisingly there was not a living soul sitting at any table. This practice needs to be immediately reviewed as it gives a totally wrong impression and is very bad for business, it's also the sort of thing that guests remember.
Not the best experience and clearly as a resort hotel it is not for business travellers, we will remember Shane for his willingness to go the extra yard but as for the rest of the hotel it will not be an experience we repeat.

4  Thank Midorosan
StephaneFabregoul, General Manager at W Singapore Sentosa Cove, responded to this reviewResponded 5 June 2014

Hello Midorosan,
Thank you for taking your time to give us feedback. Please accept my sincere apologies that our team didn’t go meet your expectations. I have spoken to the departments concerned and proper advice has been given to them to avoid in the future. Regarding Woo Bar, I personally investigated with the team and found that we actually had a few groups of VIPs with us and reserved Woo Bar for refreshment. I do apologise for the inconvenience caused you.
I am so proud to hear how Shane had gone extra miles to bring you a memorable experience! I am glad you managed to get some good sleep with the brand new pillow. I will share your compliment about Shane with my team, I am sure it will also motivate them as well!
Again thank you for your feedback and we do hope you will give us a chance to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed 30 May 2014

I stayed in W Singapore for a night for my anniversary celebration. It was a surprise stay for my partner which I planned by myself. Chose W Singapore as I've read and heard good reviews about it. Travelling there was fuss-free, check-in was smooth, the lady who checked me in were friendly. The tall skinny malay guy who welcomed me when I reached was very warm and friendly. However there are a few things which I would like to point out...

1) At check in, after processing my registration, I was informed that a complimentary anniversary cake would be sent up to my room after 6pm. I was happy to hear that as it was what I requested on my booking. However after 10pm, there was still no sign of the cake. I HAD TO call up the Whatever/Whenever service and ask about the whereabouts of the cake as promised, that's when they remembered about it and got it sent up to my room within that hour itself. By then, it wasn't a surprise anymore as my partner had to hear the telephone convo and was expecting the cake alreaduy. It was meant to be a surprise, remember W? What if I didn't call? Would they forget about it? I would appreciate it they had taken it a little more seriously as it was really a special occassion for me, and him...

2) Ard 9pm, a staff (I think she's a housekeeper) came up to my room and asked me if I still want the room deco. Some love pillows etc.. I was surprised. Is she kidding me? I was expecting any set up or special arrangements to be done before my arrival, or none, ok (because I understand it's subject to availability) but coming to my room late night and ask all those stuffs in front of my partner.. It's terrible. I repeat, this is a surprise anni staycation guys!!

3) In the morning, I think ard 10am, while my partner and I were asleep, I was awaken by a sound. Someone came into my room without ringing the bell! We were asleep and to have someone just barged into my room, even if it's housekeeping.. How inconsiderate?! I had to shout "YES?!" twice and then the door just slammed. No apologies, nothing. Couldn't get the name of the staffs, as I was too tired to get out of bed and chase them! Disappointing!

4)Check out. Approached a chinese lady wearing spectacles and told her I'm checking out, surprisingly she didn't even look at me. Instead, she pointed to her colleague and told me that he will be the one who will be helping me. I understand that she is serving another guest, but no greetings, no smiles, no interactions, didn't even look at me, nothing.. Really?! The chinese guy who checked me out didn't greet, didn't smile, just asked for my key card and told me my check out is done. He didn't ask how was my stay or even thanked me. I don't think he even bother! Look, I understand that you're busy but is this really how staffs of a 5 star hotel should be?!

I don't understand why this had to happen to me when my friends told me it's a great hotel with great service. At first I thought I would give it another shot, but to think about all of it again.. I don't think I'm coming back. It's just unlucky of me to have my first time stay at W ruined. My anniversary this year didn't turned out to be memorable for us. Thanks.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank nfareena
StephaneFabregoul, General Manager at W Singapore Sentosa Cove, responded to this reviewResponded 3 June 2014

Hello nfareena,
Thank you for your feedback. I am very sorry to learn about your experience and disappointment, the attitude and behaviour of our hotel talent is totally unacceptable, my team should have wished you a happy anniversary and prepared cake and amenities in advance in your room. We did have an alert in the system and cake and amenities planned to be placed in your room for that evening, but the lack of the relevant greeting is extremely useful feedback and I have discussed with the team today and implemented a process effective immediately which will ensure no future similar recurrence for our guests.
Again I do apologies on behalf of my team for ruining your anniversary, please be rest assured that this is not our usual W standard, we aim to Wow our guests by providing excellent personal services. I would really love to show you the real W experience, please do give us a second chance in future.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

It was so awesome pleasure for me to visit and stay in W Singapore . The whole area is so marvellous . I couldnt believe that i'll be so luxuriously comfortable there. Splendid performance . The area is so beautiful and so well cultivated. Looks so adoringly natural. Enjoyed the courtiousness and the friendliness of the staffs there. Will be visiting again soon , got great memories of that place. Thinking about it everyday especially the food and the poolside. WOW. I personally highly recommend everyone to visit that place.
Its Gorgeous.
Andy

Room Tip: Choose a room on the top floor in order to enjoy the outside.
1  Thank Andy_America
StephaneFabregoul, General Manager at W Singapore Sentosa Cove, responded to this reviewResponded 30 May 2014

Dear Andy_America,

It was delightful to read your review. We are really so happy to know that you loved our hotel so much. Indeed we have a beautiful hotel and great talents, who deliver impeccable service. We strive to build memories for our guests and are glad to know that you took away with you a piece of us. We cannot wait for you to be back and this time I hope to meet you in person.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

Given the buildup of this property - a resort! - beautiful location! - W sophistication and cachet! - I was quite disappointed by the reality: The W Sentosa is a nice, clean, big hotel at the end of a long roadway that is only accessible through a guarded gate. The guard was not prepped to welcome hotel visitors to the compound, and he gave the cab driver a very difficult time about coming through - a hassle after a long flight. Surely the W could provide some solution to this problem! And, the rooms, while big and spacious, are not better or worse than most good hotels in Asia -- lots of big furniture and marble in the bathrooms. My room smelled of mildew, as did the area near the elevators. The conference room area, where our company was meeting, was also "meh" -- uncomfortable chairs, small folding tables, not enough electrical outlets. In summary, this hotel is like many others in Asia - big, grand, but nothing special.

Room Tip: Request a room far away from the ballroom area, which played extremely loud disco/ electronic/ house...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business

Dear AsiaTraveler2013,

Thank you for your feedback. It’s disappointing to know that you did not enjoy your stay. The staff at Sentosa gantry are well briefed to allow the guests of W upon showing the room reservation confirmation. I shall highlight this to the Sentosa Management again. A room smelling of mildew is new to us and I shall address this immediately with my Style Manager to have it rectified. I hope that we will be able to meet your expectations the next time you return to W Singapore Sentosa Cove.

Reviewed 28 May 2014 via mobile

Fantastic service. The rooms and decor are quirky and fun. The bar and pool are so relaxed and the food in the buffet breakfast was delicious. Would definitely recommend staying here if you want to be a little out of the city.

• Stayed: May 2014

Hello Rish N,
Thank you very much for your lovely feedback. It is uplifting to know what an enjoyable stay you had with us.
Please do come and stay with us again soon!

Reviewed 28 May 2014

Impressed with hotel, layout, and the MASSIVE amount of detailing at the room level. Entrance is different and welcoming, more like a clubhouse rather than a hotel. Wardrobe and bar cabinet doors which open unconventionally, TV cabinets which seems more like a decor, 3D beveled edging in the bathrooms, naughty light switches.... list is endless. The TV is attached to a BOSE audio system, which enhances viewing experience. I'm particular with beds, and i have no complaints here. The funky decor takes getting used too, but its for sure not a businessman hotel, although there are function rooms for meetings. Its great for a family getaway. The view is VERY nice, esp at night with the pool lit up...The food is good, and the service is great and intimate at the same time.

Room Tip: Ask for a pool-facing room
1  Thank ray167

Dear Ray167,

Thank you for all your appreciation and for this wonderfully written review. We are thrilled to know that you liked the design and other intricate details of our hotel. I am very glad that all you expectations were met and our talents delivered the WOW Service. I look forward to meeting you on your next visit.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Sentosa Island
Hard Rock Hotel Singapore
#10 of 13 in Sentosa Island
Marina Bay
Marina Bay Sands
Marina Bay Sands
#41 of 317 in Singapore

Been to W Singapore Sentosa Cove? Share your experiences!