“Island restaurant a million miles from fresh seafood”
Review of Suburbia

Suburbia
Price range: US$0 - US$100
Cuisines: Italian, Fusion, Wine Bar
Dining options: Outdoor Seating, Private Dining, Reservations
Dining options: Outdoor Seating, Private Dining, Reservations
London, United Kingdom
“Island restaurant a million miles from fresh seafood”
Reviewed 5 January 2013

We visited this restaurant having seen good reviews on tripadvisor and were extremely disappointed. For our starter we shared a plate of prawn vol au vonts, which came out stale, as if they had been prepared several days ago and left in the fridge. The main courses, although well presented, were no better. The cod was utterly bland, the prawns literally rotten, and the crab cakes scarcely better. When asked about the prawns, the waiter explained that they were "fresh", but perhaps the supplier was at fault. It seemed remarkable to us that the chef hadn't thought to check that the prawns were of a reasonable quality before cooking and serving them.
The wine menu was carefully annotated, but the choice of white was very limited. We chose a South African chardonnay which was actually very good, and was the only positive thing about the meal.
We will not be making the trip to Sentosa to visit this restaurant again. I also feel that some of the previous reviews are questionable; the reviewer who claims to have been dropped off 4 miles from the restaurant could barely have been in Singapore, never mind this tiny island.

• Visited January 2013

Singapore
“Ice ambience but warm”
Reviewed 23 December 2012

We attended a wedding dinner there, so we're seated in the open area. While there were blowers, hey don't rotate, so in tropical Singapore heat, it can be quite unbearable. Food was so-so though setting is nice.

Visited November 2012
Singapore, Singapore
“Outstanding service, beyond the norm”
Reviewed 25 November 2012

I have written about Suburia before but this last Friday I experienced such fantastic service that I had to write about them again. I friend and I had made reservations for a 6 course wine pairing diner that they were offering. It was raining and I was lucky enough to grab a taxi (those of you who have been to Singapore will know how hard it is to get a taxi in the rain). I really wasn't paying attention (my bad) and got out of the taxi prepared to follow the walking instructions the driver gave me. Unfortunately the driver had no idea where the restaurant was and had dropped me off on the wrong end of the island. The restaurant was a good 4 miles away. Fortunately the owner's daughter drove out and picked me up. Now THAT is service in my book and is one of the reasons I will return to Suburia. The rest of the evening went very well; the food, the wine and company were excellent.

• Visited November 2012
Singapore, Singapore
“Extremely attention and wonderful ambiance”
Reviewed 15 September 2012

We had made reservations as part of combination food/wine tasting. We had high expectations because of the reviews we had read here. We were not disappointed. Suburbia, the owner and the staff lived up to our expectations. The entire staff was very attentive to our needs and the service was great. The food was well prepared and plated with care and attention to detail. The owner was very charming. This is a great find on Sentosa Island and both my dinner companion and I remarked that it would make a great venue for a small company outing. We plan to check that out and I for one will be back to partake of more things from the menu. Well done!

• Visited September 2012
WineDineEscape, Manager at Suburbia, responded to this review, 28 September 2012
Hi HR Dude,

We are glad that you enjoyed the dinner at Suburbia and look forward to welcoming you back soon. On the 26-27th October we will be having wine dinner pairing menu, please look out for updates on our website and facebook.
Adelaide, Australia
“Just Excellent”
Reviewed 1 August 2012 via mobile

Whilst staying at the resort next door, we were looking for a nice meal close by. Suburbia fitted the bill, being walking distance, and bouyed by the previous Trip Advisor reviews we headed down. The building is modern and stylish, nicely lit, well serviced, albeit there were only 3 tables. An extensive wine list featuring wines from around the world, yet because of the heat we decided on beer. We both chose the soft shell crab pasta, and felt it was one of the best pastas we've ever had. A lovely fusion of Asian and Italian. Ice-cream was a lively finish to the meal.

WineDineEscape, Manager at Suburbia, responded to this review, 11 August 2012
Dear LouiseWalters,

Thank you for your recent visit and we are happy to hear that you had a pleasant dining experience at Suburbia. We constantly work to improve on our menu and offer seasonal specials. Hope to see you at Suburbia soon.