“unpleasant experience”

Ranked #182 of 312 Hotels in Singapore
Singapore, Singapore
“unpleasant experience”
Reviewed 31 July 2014

When I emailed the person in charge of booking, I told him that the total number of guests would be three and he recommended a superior room. When I went to the hotel on the actual date, the front desk clerk told me that he cannot give us the room as the superior room can only accommodate two persons. I showed him the email conversations and after making a call, he told me I can either come back on dates when the family room is available or pay more for an additional room. What I was really upset about was that he never apologised although it was the hotel's mistake that I could not get the room.
As we needed a place to stay for that date and as we were angry with their service, we decided to go to another hotel and asked him for a letter which I would use as an evidence to get a refund (I used groupon to book the room.). The clerk told me the customer relations personnel would send me an email within that day, which I did not receive even until today (which is two days later).
It was a really unpleasant experience and personally I would not recommend that hotel to my friends.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Sophie915

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 15 July 2014 via mobile

Nice hotel close to mrt
shopping and food outlets... clean rooms
with nice breakfast. Great staff in the hotel assists all times. Would recommend. Clean rooms with cable tv - comfortable beds. Safe location with good lighting.

• Stayed July 2014
Reviewed 4 July 2014

The first thing that I can remember about this hotel is its fragrant smell. Some people may find the smell overpowering but for me, I loved it.

We checked in this hotel last November 24 and November 29 2013. We got a family room for 3 adults. Our room is a bit small but enough for an overnight stay since we only used this hotel for our pre and post cruise accommodation. The room and bathroom are clean. Air-conditioning worked well.

What I like most about this hotel is the location. It's a five-minute walk to the EW11 Lavender (green) station and so it's very easy for you to go around the city. In Singapore, it's much cheaper to use the train than to get the taxi. We were able to go to Mustafa Centre for shopping, which is a 15-minute walking from this hotel.

If you're a Filipino, this hotel might be very convenient for you as most of the staff are Filipinos! Hurray for no language barrier! They were all helpful and friendly. They suggest you where to go.

There's breakfast included. The restaurant (The Good News Restaurant) is downstairs. They don't serve rice. Anyway there are nearby hawker centres and food stores for variety. There's also a 7 eleven outside the hotel. It's very convenient if you need to buy something late at night.

Don't bother to swim in their swimming pool. There were snails when we checked it out. It was dirty and small. This facility needs improvement.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank ViajeraShelly
Reviewed 29 June 2014 via mobile

I now understand why the hotel was named such. Each time you pass by the hallway, it always has a fragrant smell around it :) our stay was a very pleasant one. The only thing that put us off was the fact that check in time was actually 3PM! We arrived at 9am, luckily the train station Lavender was neaby.. A walking distance of 5 minutes. Convenience stores are nearby this hotel and staff are friendly and courteous when you ask for help in directions. Rooms were not really spacious but you get what you pay for. I had a good sleep nonetheless. Recommending this hotel for travelers on a budget.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Pune, India
Reviewed 29 May 2014

We 2 Indian families stayed at Hotel Fragrance Imperial at Lavender Singapore during our short trip in the month of May 2014. Had booked 2 hotel rooms online as they offered good rate of 100 SGD per night for Deluxe AC room which included Breakfast and Taxes. Main reason for selecting this hotel was location.There is compact swimming pool on 4th floor and lift facility which are basic plus points. Though the room size was very small and below expectation (we understand room size is common issue in all budget hotels in Singapore), the location was best and served our purpose as we were out for sight-seeing for all 3 days and visited hotel just for bed and breakfast.They served only 1 item in Indian veg breakfast which they should improve on as lot of people from India visit Singapore. Overall it was good deal and we enjoyed our stay at Hotel Fragrance and will surely visit next time. Regards, Ashish Gujarathi

Room Tip: Insisit for room with window on 4th floor near the pool..
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank ashish1978
Reviewed 26 May 2014

I was a bit apprehensive to stay in a budget hotel. Having a Holiday Inn membership card, we would usually stay in this hotel, especially when we travel to HK. "But this is antiseptic Singapore", I thought. So I agreed with my travel agent to stay for 3 days & 2 nights in Fragrance Imperial on Penhas St., about 100 meters away from the Lavender MRT station.
On the day of our arrival, the hotel shuttle left us after we failed to show up on time at the Changing Airport information area. Blame goes to the family, who was just ahead of us in the line to the immigration counter. They did not properly fill up their immigration forms. So we bought Nets FlashPay cards and we took the MRT to the hotel. You can use this card to pay for the MRT, bus, and taxi fare. Just load up the card at the nearest 7-11. Fortunately, Fragrance Imperial is located near the Lavender Station of MRT East-West Line that ends at the Changing Airport.
At the hotel's front desk, we were greeted by an almost all-Filipino hotel staff. They're very friendly, which is very comforting to a tired, hungry, and sleep-deprived traveller. Wifi is 3 Sing dollars for 2hrs and 10 Sing dollars for 24hours. Take the latter, obviously.
The triple room is small. But it is very clean, the hot shower is good, there's a hair dryer, complimentary bottled water which they replenish daily, and the air conditioning is cool. There's a flat screened TV but it has limited channels. The towels are clean and fresh. The bathroom is small but clean. There is no glass enclosure in the shower, instead there is a shower curtain. I wish they would spruce it up with a basic enclosure. And provide foot towels too.
I remember there are 7 set breakfast choices. A set breakfast includes 2 pcs of toast, potato hash, butter & jam, juice & coffee. It's up to you if you would want eggs, sausage, ham, turkey bacon, porridge, noodle soup or cereals to go with the toast and beverage.
Late checkout is at 12:30 but they will allow you to stash your luggage in their holding area if you want to further explore Singapore prior to your departure.
Their front desk officer Lee Aquino, the kind & handsome man blessed with the names of 2 heads of states (Singapore's Lee Kuan Yew and Philippines' Noynoy Aquino), will make your stay better than expected.

• Stayed May 2014
5 Thank CarminaRomero
Reviewed 11 May 2014

hotel is short walk from mrt so its covenient also fewer stops to changi airport. place safe, left my laptop bag at lobby, front staff got it and secured it for me. saved me from great. highly recommended

alex