“Don't stay there”
Review of Hotel 81 Rochor

Hotel 81 Rochor
Ranked #197 of 316 Hotels in Singapore
Reviewed 5 December 2013 via mobile

The hotel is poor facilitated. Reception is not professional. I wrote the hotel before I arrived to inquire hotel's direction twice but didn't get any reply. I asked the reception why didn't they reply my email. The reception replied they didn't receive my emails and asked why I didn't call them for the inquiry. I told him I was overseas and it would cost me a lot on roaming. The only information I like to know was how to get the hotel from MRT. He handed me a city map. It's not helpful at all because I already got to the hotel on my own. Why did need the map for?! It's another disappointment when I got my room. Moldy, humid, with bad smell under maintenance. It has a fake window in my room which can't be open (an inside room). At the end, I decided to move out. The receptionists ( two different persons) gave me wrong direction to my new hotel.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
There are newer reviews for Hotel 81 Rochor

Reviewed 13 September 2013

During my stay from 8 to 11 September 2013, at the second nite two little strangers
,cockroaches 3 cm long showed up from under the divan of the bed.

This was my first time came across cockroaches creeping in the room.

So be sure to ask the reception to have a room without these stranger unless you are an insect lover.

Room Tip: Make sure to have a room without "stranger"
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Hage566
Reviewed 2 August 2013

We searched for a hotel in Singapore just for a weekend and the ones that came up were hotel 81's so we booked this one for 3 nights for its price and location. It was a 10 min taxi drive to the mrt station Bugis which brings to the airport for less than 2$ SGD. the hotel was close to mrt Little India station. Which was great!
But the overall experience was bad. The room was on the fourth floor, right next to the linen room. The staff kept making a lot of ridiculous noise every morning around 6am, laughing and knocking things around and the room doors are paper thin! Then, there was banging (like the sound of heavy luggage bags slammed on the floor). The room was small, which is ok, but there were no night stand or little shelf in the bathroom to put our shower products or clothes. The a/c was really too high in the hallway, it felt like going to the groceries in the freezer aisle. In the room, the a/c was blowing too hard for that small room, when I asked to lower it, they turned it off completely! Then there was the shower... Water leaked outside the shower and outside the room!!! That happened twice! There was a switch to turn the water heater on, but we didnt know! There was no way to see outside, there's a fictitious window, but it is blocked by some green opaque panel. This is supposed to be a 2star hotel, but it didn't feel like a hotel. The people going in and out seemed lost, old and poor. They didn't seem to be able to afford the 100$/night. I'm not being judgmental about their situation, their overall behaviour in the hallway was weird, avoiding contact, old and non english speaking people. I was also told by a local engineer that this chain of hotel was known for a quick bang if you know what I mean. I complained to the managers (in 3 days, I met 3 different ones) and they all said in their limited English that they couldn't do anything. I was given an email to send my complaints.
This is a one month trip and we had been lucky to find nice hotels at competitive prices. But this one was a dumpster!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Fifi D
Reviewed 23 June 2013

I needed a hotel in Singapore for 1 night as I had a connecting flight the next morning. Unfortunately the transit hotel at Singapore Changi Airport was fully booked so I had to stay in the city somewhere. I booked this hotel with the airport hotel reservation desk, and the young lady there was very helpful in advising me on the various options.

It would appear that Singapore is becoming more expensive to stay in than many European or north American cities, so there are no budget options as such.

This hotel is convenient to the Bugis MRT (5 minute walk), and the staff are friendly and very helpful. The place is clean and the furniture is new.

The rooms however are very small, so it's ok to stay in for a night or two, just to have a place to sleep.

There are plenty of shops nearby too.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank fugree
Reviewed 7 May 2013

The hotel is small and obscure, but right at the start of a street corner, so easy to reach by taxi. Facilities were clean and like pictured, but more like Japanese love hotels in the sense that there are no openable windows, no dressers, and the front desk asks if you will have any "guests". Fine for anyone who wants easy access to the big open market in Singapore, the metro, or the shopping mall (just 5 minutes walk). And fine, perhaps, for a couple really wanting to scrimp and yet not do the hostel thing.

As far as the rooms go, my only complaint was that the bathroom/toilet are joined and the floor, once the shower is turned on, has no grip and is VERY slippery.

A/C was cold and doors do not go to the floor (maybe 0.5-1.0-inch clearance). Staff were very friendly though and check-in was easy.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
1  Thank Michael D
Reviewed 20 November 2012

Hotel staff extremely nice.. Rooms are too small and that there were no windows , was too closed in for me.. I will never stay there again.. I will say the room was clean , but it is way overpriced.
It is maybe a one star ? hotel.. Location is great . I will stay again in Little India.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank belladanesa
Reviewed 30 October 2012

This budget chain hotel is a great value for the location/price.
The hotel is 5 minutes walk from the SMRT Bugis station. This station is on the SMRT line from the airport.
The big plus, it is right next to the famous Sim Lim Square shoping center.

The hotel provide free WiFi and TV, but no breakfast. But you can find many shops and the restaurants in the surrounding.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business