“Ok for business but check room type”

Ascott Raffles Place Singapore
Ranked #100 of 308 Hotels in Singapore
Asia
“Ok for business but check room type”
Reviewed 21 June 2014

I stayed at Ascott Raffles Place for 5 nights recently on a business trip to Singapore in a Cutler suite (the smallest available room), which my company booked for me. The hotel is very well located in the central business district with plenty of transportation options around, you practically fall into the Raffles Place MRT station which is on the line to the airport. While I would not want to be based long term in a studio apartment, for 1 week it was fine, and it was nice to have the cooking facilities available even though I did not use them. Staff are friendly and efficient and I had a room service meal one night which was promptly delivered and very tasty. Breakfast was included, but I didn’t avail my self of breakfast as I prefer to eat at the office to save time in the morning, but I did go down to check it out and it looked quite ok. Staff were able to do the impossible and get me a taxi to the airport on a Friday afternoon in the rain, within 10 minutes of requesting, which for those who know Singapore, would know that is a very difficult thing to do. As mentioned the location is great for business, but I am not sure how exciting it would be to be based there long term and the area is a bit dead on the weekends and after hours.

I would also suggest to pay more and get a higher grade room, I may have been unlucky but my room faced the next building so my only view was 2 metres in front of me a concrete wall of the next building, so it was impossible to look out the window to determine the weather and internal lights always needed to be on, so not the end of the world, but I wouldn’t like that for a longer stay, and did avoid spending much time in the room as I felt a bit boxed in. Upon check in the receptionist advised me there was a roof top terrace to use for relaxation, which would help, but I never went up there as I was too busy during the week. They claim to have a 2-3 seater sofa in the Cutler suite on the internet, but in my room I really only had a narrow chaise lounge that 1 person could sit on and 2 would certainly not have been able to ‘lounge’ on – much smaller than what is seen in other traveler review pictures. The website says they have a well designed living area, separate dining area and bedroom and it could be construed as that, in that there is a very efficient use of space, but in reality the room was basically the same as a regular hotel room, such as the Ritz Carlton or Hyatt in Singapore, with a kitchen in the corridor, exactly as the picture is on their website. There does seems to be some small differences in the various rooms, so I must have been unlucky, but someone needs to get the lesser rooms and this time it was me.

As my room was located directly next to the lift well, it was quite noisy, however the Ascott must clearly be aware of this as they shut one of the lifts down overnight, which really helps to cut down the noise. Aircon is also extremely very noisy as well, so I had to turn it off when I was in the room. As it is an old building (though restored), I think Ascott are aware of these issues have done all they can to minimse the inconvenience to guests - same with my comment on facing the concrete wall, the staff specifically mentioned the roof terrace to me which I though was very proactive.

Finally, my room also seemed to be in a mobile phone black spot as I was rarely able to get more than 1 bar of reception even when trying different networks, which would really annoy me long term, but lucky I was able to use Skype instead (the room had free wifi, which is a necessity) or would go down to the street, or use my office when I needed to make a call. I suspect this was purely due to the location of my room in relation to the other buildings as in the lift lobby reception was normal, and there would be nothing Ascott could do about it anyway. Also I had a small issue with housekeeping in that a 6am alarm had been left on from the previous guest, which woke me up 2 days in a row (even though I unplugged the clock after the first time it had batteries, so it came on the next day, aghh), and as the lift starts up again at 6am, there was not chance of falling back to sleep, but on the flip side I could get up early and go for a nice run around Marina Bay, which is very close. Housekeeping apologised for this oversight, so I think it was just bad luck on my part, not an overall issue, as I found the cleanliness of the rooms very good and staff were very helpful and friendly overall and apologised profusely.

All in all the Ascott Raffles place was an ok place to stay for a week, though it would not be my choice again. I would certainly not recommend staying in a Cutler Suite if you have a choice (which I did not), and if I was in Singapore for any longer than the workday week, I would try to find a serviced apartment in a more interesting area and get the very convenient MRT into the office, but if you are just there for business in the CBD and get a decent room then the location is absolutely fantastic. I think the staff are aware of some of the shortcomings of the rooms and seemed to have taken reasonable steps to mitigate the impacts of them, which is all you can really ask.

Room Tip: If in Cutler suite double check you can get mobile phone reception if this is important to you, and...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank Thzeje
Cynthia L, Manager at Ascott Raffles Place Singapore, responded to this review, 24 June 2014
Dear Thzeje,

Thank you for taking time to write such a detailed and honest review. It is indeed gratifying to know that you have enjoyed your stay with us despite being accommodated in a Cutler Suite without a more scenic view.

Please accept my sincere apologies for this apartment assignment as unfortunately Ascott Raffles Place Singapore was experiencing a full-house occupancy situation and we were left without a choice but to assign this apartment type to you. I would like to clarify that there are other Cutler Suites which are situated at different locations of our property, thus offering different views of the Central Business District and nearby Marina Boulevard. It is with deep regret that we were unable to allocate these Cutler Suites to you during your stay, as these are the apartments with the 3-seater sofas and featured in our website. Kindly allow me to advise that you may state your apartment preference when making any future reservations and our team would most definitely endeavor to allocate the apartment of your choice, should the occupancy situation allow. I truly hope that your next stay experience will be in one of the Cutler Suites that faces the street, as I am confident that you would thoroughly enjoy the view from this apartment.

Thank you for your generous compliments for our team. I am very happy that you have found their service attitude to be professional yet friendly and please be assured that your kind words will be shared with every team member.

It has been a great pleasure hosting you and all of us sincerely hope to welcome you back soon. We also hope that on your next stay, you will find the time to luxuriate in the Jacuzzis at our rooftop garden, while taking in the panoramic city view.

Resident Relations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Indonesian first
  • Thai first
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 4 June 2014

I booked Cutler Suite for a short two days staycation during the weekend of my birthday. I had a few few friends over to have a small dinner celebration.

The room were impeccably clean and huge. The service staffs were attentive, friendly and approachable.

After the stay, Ascott personally emailed to asked for our experience during our stay. A very personal service touch to every resident.

Part of the email:
"We are delighted to learn that you had a great stay with us and we have also exceeded your expectations. It is feedback like this from our guests that motivates us to further improve in providing the best service standards and facilities in the industry. We’ll be sure to thank our bellman Hasan, Alvin and the team for their great service. We are truly heartened that they have contributed to a successful and enjoyable 26th birthday staycation for you."

It's definitely one of the most memorable stay i had.

Thank you ASCOTT Raffles Place.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank JohanEzran
Cynthia L, Manager at Ascott Raffles Place Singapore, responded to this review, 5 June 2014
Dear JohanEzran,

Thank you for writing this fabulous review. I read with much delight that you had ended this review thanking us, however, it is us who should rightfully say a big “THANK YOU” to you! You cannot imagine how much joy you have brought to the team at Ascott Raffles Place with this lovely review. Everyone is smiling from ear to ear and seem to be walking on air, after learning of your very generous compliments.

It has indeed been a great pleasure hosting your recent stay and we certainly hope that you will give us the pleasure to host you again soon, before your 27th birthday!

All of us sincerely wish you a wonderful 26th year.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

It is not often that my service standards are exceeded but this morning I have had a great experience. The staff at the Ascott Hotel Raffles Place in Singapore have gone above and bound to give me a pleasant morning after a night flight. So if you are ever in Singapore I highly recommend this hotel.

2 Thank Christoffer M
Cynthia L, Manager at Ascott Raffles Place Singapore, responded to this review, 29 May 2014
Dear Christoffer M,

Thank you for writing this delightful review! We are truly elated that our service standards have exceeded your expectations. Your generous compliment has brought wide smiles to our faces and has most certainly inspired every one of us to raise our personal bar for service excellence.

Thank you for staying with us and all of us eagerly look forward to hosting your next stay with us soon.

Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 27 May 2014

I stayed in Ascott Raffles Singapore for a week in April. It was very beautiful and spacious. Their bathroom was awesome and it was a very beautifully furnished apartment. They have a convenient wall outlet that has audio connection as well if you'd like to use their LCD TV as your monitor. Very convenient location, just a hop and you are there in the MRT station. Love their dining sets as well. Modern and luxurious! Will definitely be back!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
Cynthia L, Manager at Ascott Raffles Place Singapore, responded to this review, 28 May 2014
Dear US_Avid_Traveller,

Thank you for writing this lovely review! I am elated to note that you have had an excellent stay with us in our beautifully furnished apartment.Your detailed description of our fully equipped apartments is very much appreciated. It is truly heartening to know that you enjoyed your stay in our spacious apartments which were specailly designed for the comfort of today's globe-trotting travellers like you.

All of us are simply delighted that you will definitely be returning to stay as this itself is a huge compliment! It has been a great pleasure hosting your stay and the entire team looks forward to hosting you again soon.

Tokyo, Japan
Reviewed 18 April 2014

I stayed at the Ascott for 3 months from Sep-Nov 2013 as part of relocating to Singapore from Tokyo.

The hotel itself is located close to the business district and has easy connections to the rest of Singapore. The staff was generally great, specially the head doorkeep (the indian guy) -always had a smile on his face and was happy to help. The room was a corner room and was pretty spacious and clean, specially with contrast to the tiny apartments in Tokyo.

The experience should have warranted a 5 star rating except for the happenings of the last week there. A couple of days before we left, the toilet glass door snapped off its hinges and smashed into a massive pile of shards on the marble floor. This happened at 3 am at night and we woke up to a resounding crash - Thankfully neither my partner and I were using the bathroom at the time and the wooden doors of the bathroom shielded the bedroom from any collateral damage. Now I cannot blame the staff or management for something like this happening and the fact that the response from the front desk was slow (it was really early in the morning). From this point, It took close to 2 hours to have someone attempt to clean it (with a scoop and a meshed garbage bin which kept dropping shards) to finally having someone come over and offer us a different room to sleep that night.

Coming back home the next day from work - we had two vials of wine from the management, which was appreciated, however no one even checked up on us. I would much rather trade in the wine for a conversation with someone who could explain what had happened and why it could/could not happen again.

The entire experience was great, but we left with a slight sour taste in our mouthes. Now this is a freak incident and it would be unfair to move the rating to average for that. But overall, the situation could have been handled better with a human touch, instead of a standard response.

Room Tip: Suites along the curve of the hotel are large and have this fantastic theater'esque curved couch...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
4 Thank JosephRobin
Cynthia L, Manager at Ascott Raffles Place Singapore, responded to this review, 21 April 2014
Dear JosephRobin,

Thank you for taking time to write this review. I am delighted to note that your partner and you enjoyed your stay with us and have found our location, apartment size and facilities ideal for your three months' stay.

Thank you for your wonderful compliments on our team, especially for Devan, our Bell Services Captain. It is indeed heartfelt and motivating. We will most certainly share your kind words with the team.

We are truly sorry for the unfortunate incident whereby the glass-door in your bathroom suddenly shattered and the callous manner this lapse was managed. Please be assured that this unprecedented handling manner is definitely not reflective of our usual service attitude and aptitude, as we have always endeavoured to provide service with a personal touch. We have since reiterated the proper service recovery handling with the team. Please accept our sincere apologies for this shortfall in our service. Unfortunately, we are not able to pinpoint the exact reason why the glass door suddenly shattered as our investigations have indicted that it may probably be due to glass fatigue or it could have been a manufacturing defect. However, most importantly, we are relieved that neither your partner nor you were injured by this unfortunate incident.

Once again, thank you for writing this honest review as it allows us to review our shortfalls, thus encouraging us to seek improvements in our continuous journey to provide excellent services and facilities to all our residents. .

Cynthia

San Francisco, California
Reviewed 12 February 2014

Do not expect service like a full service hotel. Staff is extremely disengaged and always busy on their personal phones as you walk passed them without an acknowledgement. I stayed here for 3 weeks and never saw any management presence anywhere. I once asked for veggies in my omelette for breakfast and was told anything more than eggs will be additional charge (breakfast was included in my rate). I found expired boxes of cereal on several different occasions at breakfast. Overall stay here if you absolutely have to as it is a cheaper option then some of the hotels in that area but otherwise avoid.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
Cynthia L, Manager at Ascott Raffles Place Singapore, responded to this review, 20 February 2014
Dear Ameryki,

Thank you for having taken time to provide us with your honest feedback as this gives us the opportunity to review our shortcomings. We are truly sorry you have found our team members indifferent and lacking customer centric values. We are currently investigating your feedback regarding the use of personal mobile devices whilst on duty at the Front Office. We assure you this practice is against our company’s regulations and we shall definitely counsel the team members concerned. With regards to finding expired cereals at Breakfast, we shall be working very closely with the restaurant to ensure that there will be no recurrence and we are sincerely sorry for this lapse.

Thank you for sharing your feedback as this allows us to review our shortfalls and continue in our improvement efforts to provide excellent service and products to our residents. Thank you for staying at Ascott Raffles Place serviced residence and we sincerely hope to be able to host you again, giving us an opportunity to serve you better.

Cynthia
Jakarta, Indonesia
Reviewed 3 February 2014 via mobile

Located across the MRT station and walking distance to Marina Bay Area via underpass walkway. Very convenient to the nearby Lau Pa Sat food court area where plenty local cuisine is available . Good size able gym and rooftop view with a reinforced glass pool. Room size is spacious for studio unit and very comfortable with good work station and free wifi. Highly recommended .

Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank SgnExp
Cynthia L, Manager at Ascott Raffles Place Singapore, responded to this review, 4 February 2014
Dear SgnExp,

Thank you for writing this review and for highly recommending us.

We appreciate your compliments on our location,facilities and room ambience. We are indeed very conveniently located in the midst of the Central Business District with easy accessibility to good eateries and public transportation.We look forward to welcoming you back to Ascott Raffles Place Singapore in the near future, hopefully on a leisure trip this time round.

Once again, thank you for your support.

Cynthia L