“Overpriced and disappointed”

Ranked #34 of 308 Hotels in Singapore
Boston
“Overpriced and disappointed”
Reviewed 9 April 2013

Ok, first the good: It is easy to find and incredibly convenient to terminal. The rooms are fantastically designed, the “hotel staff” were efficient and the bed was very comfortable. That's where the good ends....

Expect to pay for internet. However, there was no guarantee from front desk that the WIFI would work in the room (and it did not), only wired was guaranteed in room. This is unacceptable in this day of tablets and smart phones. The lobby bar had free internet if you had an IHG member card which I did (or presumably if you bought a drink?). My co-worker could not retrieve her IHG card number from phone unless she had internet which meant she had to either buy internet (to get free internet) or walk out to the terminal to get her IHG card info and then walk back in to use the in free lobby internet. Isn’t there an easier way?

BTW, You can get free Changi Airport WIFI in the airport terminal.

I am so sorry I went to the restaurant. We went to the “very upscale” buffet. The selection looked great, but the freshness of the food was marginal. The price was ridiculously high. I wished I had gone anywhere else. Finally, the wait staff were rude and continued to interrupt even after I asked him to please step back unless we requested assistance.

This is a very fancy hotel but falls short in my final tally. I don't mind spending $300+ USD for a great hotel but in my opinion this one is overpriced for what you get. If you are a newbie to international travel and you want "easy" at any expense, or if you absolutely need to be located at the airport this place could be what you are looking for.

Unless I were pressed for a hotel at the airport, the city is close and easy to get to, I'd recommend staying in town and away from this Crown Plaza. I would only stay here if no other choice and I certainly would not eat dinner here again.

If you can stay inside security at the terminal and you want a clean basic hotel for transit, try the Ambassador Transit Hotel. The Ambassador is not the same high end hotel like Crown, but a great room for a fraction of the cost.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
SINCP, Public Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Changi Airport, responded to this review, 24 April 2013
Dear WMLY,

I would like to thank you for your detailed feedback on your experience at Crowne Plaza Changi Airport. I appreciate the time taken to let us know how your stay was like.

I am sorry to hear that our buffet spread from Azur Restaurant and service provided by our restaurant staff did not meet your expectations. We are looking into this and would like to invite you to email us at carrie.sim@ihg.com with further details of your experience.

We are constantly striving to provide our guests with better service and facilities and your feedback is absolutely valuable to us.

I have also noted your feedback regarding our internet fees and will ensure that the relevant departments will be forwarded your feedback.

Once again, we would like to thank you for the time taken to share your honest feedback with us on TripAdvisor and hope you will give us a chance to create a better experience for our guests.

Crowne Plaza Changi Airport

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (840)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 9 April 2013

Hotel is good if you have a lengthy stopover as it connected to the airport. The staff a very friendly and extremely helpful (upgraded to a suite free of charge). The rooms are a good size, modern and comfortable. Also good to relax by the pool while waiting for your next flight!

• Stayed January 2013, travelled solo
SINCP, Public Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Changi Airport, responded to this review, 30 April 2013
Dear Shaynebytrade,

Thank you for your review of Crowne Plaza Changi Airport. We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us!

We strive to provide our guests with the restoration they need to travel for success. I'm very delighted to hear that you were able to benefit from our comfortable rooms, seamless connectivity and proximity to Changi Airport Terminal 3 to rest and relax before your next flight.

We look forward to welcoming you back on your next stopover in Singapore.

Cheers,
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 9 April 2013

This hotel is very easy to find. We arrived around 10pm and the check in was smooth, efficient and pleasant. Other hotels could learn from the two girls at reception. We went straight to the bar where the complimentary glass of house wine was served immediately. The modern room and bathroom were all that we needed for an overnight stay.
Highly recommended as an overnight hotel if you are on the way to Bintan Island.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear winnoSydneyAustralia,

Thank you choosing Crowne Plaza Changi Airport! We really appreciate the time you've taken to write this review on TripAdvisor.

I'm glad you found our our rooms comfortable during your stay with us. As an airport hotel, it is of utmost importance to us that our guests are able to rest and rejuvenate with a good nights sleep before their next flight.

Thank you again for your positive feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back again on your next visit to Singapore!

Taipei
Reviewed 8 April 2013

Best possible score for location, cleanliness, food, and service (with a smile). Rooms are huge and comfortable. Only gripe is the noise from the planes in the morning, but I had requested a high floor with a runway view, so maybe it wasn't as soundproof as I had expected. Pool looked inviting, but I didn't have the chance to use it.

Room Tip: Runway side rooms are noisy in the morning.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
Dear tulipjones,

Thank you for your honest feedback on your stay with us at Crowne Plaza Changi Airport.

I'm pleased to hear that you found the hotel gorgeous, clean, rooms were spacious and that service was great. It's amazing to hear from a satisfied guests and we appreciate the time you've taken to share about your experience on TripAdvisor.

I understand that you experienced noise while you stayed in our runway view rooms. Our runway facing rooms do experience a certain level of aircraft noise as compared to our other rooms and I'd recommend requesting for a quiet room on your next stay with us.

If you would like to send us further feedback, do feel free to email us at carrie.sim@ihg.com.

Once again we'd like to thank you for your precious feedback and we will be working hard to present our guests with a better experience.

Brisbane
Reviewed 8 April 2013

Hotel is very handy for transit, as it's at terminal 3 with free sky train from other terminals. Friendly, efficient staff. Good size room, with desk, sofa, plenty of bench space for suitcases and large bathroom. You can take an airport trolley on the sky train there and hotel will give you one on check out, if you ask, to go back to airport. Allow plenty of time - Singapore Airport is huge.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
Dear milo52,

We strive to provide our guests with the restoration they need to travel for success. I'm very delighted to hear that you were able to benefit from our comfortable rooms, seamless connectivity and proximity to Changi Airport Terminal 3 to rest and relax before your flight.

We look forward to welcoming you back on your next stopover in Singapore.

Reviewed 7 April 2013

I stayed here because my connecting flight was re-timed to 7am. It was super convenient being right at the airport. The room was large and comfortable and clean. I requested a runway view room and despite the aircraft being just 100 m away there was very little noise. The staff were attentive and offered me a take away breakfast which was ready when I checked out. Internet was provided in the room but not WiFi, LAN cable connection only and I couldn't use it. I'd stay here again, only if I needed to be at the airport early, better priced options in the city. Request a runway view room here.

• Stayed March 2013
Dear spikeyspikey,

Thank you for choosing Crowne Plaza Changi Airport. We appreciate the time you've taken to share your honest feedback on TripAdvisor.

I'm glad that you were able to take advantage of our convenient location and accessibility to get some much needed rest before your connecting flight at 7am. I'm pleased to hear that you enjoyed your runway view room.

Thank you for sharing your feedback on internet access. Your feedback will be sent to the relevant departments and we'll work harder on presenting all our guests with a better stay experience.

We hope to welcome you back again on your next stopover in Singapore.

Best Regards,
Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 April 2013

I arrived in the middle of the afternoon expecting it to be really difficult to find this hotel (the online airport map suggested I could get easily confused & lost) Well what a surprise, it couldn't have been any easier!

On arriving at the hotel & crossing the 'bridge' I found it a bit awkward navigating my way to the elevator with an airport trolley to go down one level to check-in, to then have to go back in the elevator to the room. The reception team where extremely helpful & informative. When I returned the following week, they remembered my name! Very impressive.

I was lucky to have been ungraded into a suite. Such a lovely, bright & cheery room. Everything you could want was in there with the exception of a bathing suit! I'd left mine behind & was disappointed I couldn't go for a dip to loosen the muscles after such a long flight.

When I returned the following week, I was impressed with the reception team remembering my name but not so with their Bar'75. Just as I was about to order a snack some rather in-appropriate music came blaring through the speakers. Now, I'm not easily offended but the swearing & suggestions made in a couple of tracks made me blush! The waiter didn't seem to care when I mentioned it to him (I was the only guest in the bar). I simply finished my drink & left. No wonder the bar was empty if that's the kind of music they play!.

But, that won't stop me from returning later in the year.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Sproutie07
Dear sproutie07,

Thank you for your balanced and honest review of Crowne Plaza Changi Airport!

I'm pleased to hear that you had an easy time getting to the hotel from the airport and enjoyed your suite! It is a pity you were unable to have a dip in our outdoor landscaped pool. We hope you'll have the opportunity to stay with us again and enjoy the pool.

We're always trying to improve on our guest experience and I'd like to apologise that the music at bar '75 was not in great taste. I'd like to invite you to email carrie.sim@ihg.com with more details of your experience at the bar. We'll definitely like to look into the music at the bar and your feedback is greatly appreciated.

Thank you and we hope to welcome you back soon!

Best Regards,