“inadequacies for their major customer groups”

Ranked #35 of 317 Hotels in Singapore
Reviewed 12 April 2013

Like all airport hotels, the Crowne Plaza mostly caters to two groups of related people. Business men/women, and those with very short layovers who still want a nice place to stay and sleep. To be clear, I fell into the second group.

That being said, there were some problems/frustrations, that could be changed easily to make this a great airport hotel. First the positives: great room with a spacious gorgeous bathroom (soaking tub and rain shower), great pool for an airport hotel, decent gym, convenience (attached to terminal three).

The problems:
1. 25 SGD for WiFi. Yes...you heard that right. You are within 50 feet of the changing airport terminal where you can get free WiFi...and yet they charge 25 Singh. Plus, if you have more than one device they try to set up a router in your room and want you to sign that you are responsible for it. As a business centered hotel...this is just unacceptable. As a hotel attached to an airport with free WiFi, it's highway robbery.
2. Pool closes at 8. Yes, not nine or ten but eight. It was barely dark out. There explanation when called? "It's dark out". Um...that is why you have pool lights. People using an airport hotel are on all sorts of schedules....to close the pool so early is just silly and not very supportive of travellers with layovers who want to get the most out of the hotel.
3. Charging for the business centre. Similar to number one, just not what I expect from a business hotel.

Also note, if you need to be in terminal two or one before five the sky train is closed until five. There is a shuttle you can take which runs every fifteen minutes. A taxi from terminal three to terminal one was estimated at ten dollars from the front staff. This isn't the hotels fault really...just something that does reduce its "convenience" factor just a little.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank TheTravellingKings
SINCP, Public Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Changi Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 30 April 2013

Dear DrWookie,

Thank you for your balanced and honest review of Crowne Plaza Changi Airport. We appreciate the time you've taken to share about your experience with the hotel on TripAdvisor.

I will forward your feedback on our internet, pool opening hours and business centre charges to the relevant departments for their further action and review. We are constantly looking at ways to improve on our guest experience and we will surely take your feedback into consideration.

Thank you once again for your review and we will look forward to welcoming you back on your next trip to Singapore.

Best Regards,
Crowne Plaza Changi Airport

Write a ReviewReviews (4,711)

Reviewed 11 April 2013

I love staying at this hotel every year when it is my last night in Singapore (and it is a morning flight). Walk from inside the hotel right into Terminal 3. Have a flight in Terminals 1 or 2? No problem. When you walk into Terminal 3, a sharp right and you are at the tram which will quickly shuttle you to the other terminals.

The food in the Chinese restaurant (first floor) is wonderful (Singaporeans come to this restaurant even when they are not flying in or out of Changi). The front desk staff are very helpful. The rooms are clean and modern. By Singapore standards, the hotel rate is reasonable.

If I were looking for something to complain about, it is that they don't have a kiosk in the lobby to print out boarding passes (common in most airport hotels).

1  Thank Jaynyc2

Dear Jaynyc2,

Thank you for choosing Crowne Plaza Changi Airport and sharing your feedback here on TripAdvisor! We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your time with us.

We appreciate the time you've taken to give us your feedback on the lack of printing facilities at the lobby and we will work harder to give our guests a better experience. Your feedback will be forwarded to the relevant departments for their further action.

We hope to see you again and look forward to welcoming you back.

Cheers,

Reviewed 11 April 2013

Even for non-transit guests like us, we enjoyed the staycation here. The hotel is linked to the airport Terminal 3 and we booked 2 nights stay. The tropical flower motif blended cleverly with the building structure thus no one is able to look into the guest rooms despite the vicinity of the monorail. The check-in is comparatively slower as it was their checking out time. The room is generously big and we was given a higher level floor facing the control tower.
We loved the balmy palm treed landscrape of the swimming pool and it is different from the conventional pools. Breakfast at Azur is ok and some of the staff seem half-heartened to work perhaps due to the festive holidays.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends

Dear Clear_Brook_Rae,

Thank you for your review of Crowne Plaza Changi Airport. We appreciate the time you've taken to share your positive review on TripAdvisor!

I'm very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your staycation with us especially our outdoor landscaped swimming pool.

I'm sorry that you experienced disappointing service at Azur during your stay. I'd like to assure you that this is not our usual level of service. I'll ensure that the relevant departments are aware of your feedback and we will work harder on providing a better experience for our guests.

We look forward to welcoming you back should you ever need a relaxing Staycation away from the city!

Warmest Regards,

Reviewed 11 April 2013

I think the Crowne Plaza at terminal 3 is great, you just grab your bags, out the door, turn left and there you are. The thing that makes this hotel 5 star is the staff they are so friendly and the staff member that served us at breakfast was fantastic, collecting whatever we wanted.

I have one criticism and that is the air conditioning, when you are in bed the cold air goes from the wall on to your face and you have a freezing face in bed. I have stayed there 3 times in the last 8 weeks and it has been the same in every room. I really suggest that the management go and actually lay on the bed and hopefully they can fix it by redirecting the vents because even whe the fan is on the lowest level it still blasts you.

Anyway other than that I cannot fault this hotel

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Winnie999,

Thank you for your review of Crowne Plaza Changi Airport. We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us.

As an airport hotel, we strive to provide our guests get the restoration they need to travel for success. I'm very delighted to hear that you were able to benefit from our comfortable rooms, seamless connectivity and proximity to Changi Airport Terminal 3 to rest and relax before your flight. It's very heartening for us to hear that you consider us the "perfect airport hotel".

With regard to your feedback on our air conditioning, we'd like to look into it and ensure that it is fixed We would like to invite you to email carrie.sim@ihg.com with further details of your stay.

We will definitely work harder on improving our guest experience and look forward to welcoming you back on your next stopover in Singapore.

Best Regards,

Reviewed 11 April 2013

a rest away from the airport maddness. big comfy bed with good pillows and quilts. large bathroom and good amenitites. a nice rest and reguvination before he next flight. whilst i was sleeping My travelling counter parts had nothing but positives to say about the bar and buffet. great mix of food from all cultures and regions. no need to walk out of the building to get to airport. follow the signs and its easy....

Room Tip: chose higher up of back from airport shuttle if you can. all rooms seems like they would be good loc...

Dear Janesjourney,

Thank you choosing Crowne Plaza Changi Airport! We really appreciate the time you've taken to write this review on TripAdvisor.

I'm glad you found our our rooms comfortable during your stay with us. As an airport hotel, it is of utmost importance to us that our guests are able to rest and rejuvenate with a good nights sleep before their next flight.

Thank you again for your positive feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back again on your next visit to Singapore!

Warmest Regards,

Reviewed 9 April 2013

Stayed here for a one night stopover in late March.

The hotel wasn't too difficult to find, although a few more signs from the exit hall would have been helpful. I had a fair idea where to go because of all the helpful hints from tripadvisor members however if you were a newbie this might have been tricky to find, especially since the info booth was closed at this time. Catching the skytrain to T3 with luggage was a breeze however, as was check-in at 1am.

The hotel room was lovely and modern. Air conditioning was also very good considering the high humidity. The bed was excellent and shower quite refreshing after a long flight. A wake up call was offered but not required. Staff were not what I consider warm and friendly, but certainly efficient. Unfortunately our room was a bit of a walk from elevators and lobby.

I would stay here again if I had a layover in Singapore as it is quick and easy to access and is not overly pricey for Singapore. Second best airport hotel I have ever stayed at (first being Grand Hyatt in DFW)

Room Tip: Ask for a room close to elevators to avoid walking long distances to your room in early hours
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family

Dear Aussie1000,

Thank you for your review of Crowne Plaza Changi Airport. We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us!

We strive to provide our guests with the restoration they need to travel for success. I'm very delighted to hear that you were able to benefit from our comfortable rooms, seamless connectivity and proximity to Changi Airport Terminal 3 to rest and relax before your flight.

Thank you again for spending the time to write such a detailed review. We look forward to welcoming you back on your next stopover in Singapore.

Cheers,

Reviewed 9 April 2013

Ok, first the good: It is easy to find and incredibly convenient to terminal. The rooms are fantastically designed, the “hotel staff” were efficient and the bed was very comfortable. That's where the good ends....

Expect to pay for internet. However, there was no guarantee from front desk that the WIFI would work in the room (and it did not), only wired was guaranteed in room. This is unacceptable in this day of tablets and smart phones. The lobby bar had free internet if you had an IHG member card which I did (or presumably if you bought a drink?). My co-worker could not retrieve her IHG card number from phone unless she had internet which meant she had to either buy internet (to get free internet) or walk out to the terminal to get her IHG card info and then walk back in to use the in free lobby internet. Isn’t there an easier way?

BTW, You can get free Changi Airport WIFI in the airport terminal.

I am so sorry I went to the restaurant. We went to the “very upscale” buffet. The selection looked great, but the freshness of the food was marginal. The price was ridiculously high. I wished I had gone anywhere else. Finally, the wait staff were rude and continued to interrupt even after I asked him to please step back unless we requested assistance.

This is a very fancy hotel but falls short in my final tally. I don't mind spending $300+ USD for a great hotel but in my opinion this one is overpriced for what you get. If you are a newbie to international travel and you want "easy" at any expense, or if you absolutely need to be located at the airport this place could be what you are looking for.

Unless I were pressed for a hotel at the airport, the city is close and easy to get to, I'd recommend staying in town and away from this Crown Plaza. I would only stay here if no other choice and I certainly would not eat dinner here again.

If you can stay inside security at the terminal and you want a clean basic hotel for transit, try the Ambassador Transit Hotel. The Ambassador is not the same high end hotel like Crown, but a great room for a fraction of the cost.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
SINCP, Public Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Changi Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 24 April 2013

Dear WMLY,

I would like to thank you for your detailed feedback on your experience at Crowne Plaza Changi Airport. I appreciate the time taken to let us know how your stay was like.

I am sorry to hear that our buffet spread from Azur Restaurant and service provided by our restaurant staff did not meet your expectations. We are looking into this and would like to invite you to email us at carrie.sim@ihg.com with further details of your experience.

We are constantly striving to provide our guests with better service and facilities and your feedback is absolutely valuable to us.

I have also noted your feedback regarding our internet fees and will ensure that the relevant departments will be forwarded your feedback.

Once again, we would like to thank you for the time taken to share your honest feedback with us on TripAdvisor and hope you will give us a chance to create a better experience for our guests.