“the pleasant stay”
Review of Rider's Lodge

Rider's Lodge
Ranked #276 of 319 Hotels in Singapore
Reviewed 15 October 2012

this is our 3rd time staying on this hotel staff are freindly the 2 househeepers namely HARI and SEGARI, always do my favors everytime i need them, thank you guys, see you again.
ndeffinitely this hotel is a place for us to stay everytime we come singapore affordable and acxessable.

• Stayed: October 2012
1  Thank raequel

Reviewed 23 September 2012

Made the booking without looking on any review site. Big mistake! The rooms are like prison rooms with a window only 6inch wide and 3ft high, otherwise ,they are pitch black. Setting of the hotel is good, in a tranquil area of Singapore. however even though I had a Grandeur room , supposedly a more expensive room, the bathroom while reasonable had only cold water to the washbasin and the only hot water was from the electric shower.
Their we're mosquitoes in the room which were annoying.. The breakfast was appalling. Better off without it! I know it is a cheap hotel by Singapore standards, but if they improved the accommodation and got daylight into the rooms, and gave a proper breakfast they could easily up the price and it still would be great value.
Certainly would not return, unless they improved the rooms.

Room Tip: Don't chose this hotel.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 22 July 2012 via mobile

Room was dirty when I arrived (hairs everywhere) and unfortunately it did not improve even after my complaint. After a while I had two little lizzards in my room. They liked my bed and did their business on my pillow...
Poor staff as well. Could hardly speak English. Were not able to arrange a taxi for me in the morning.
Breakfast also not good. It is better you have your breakfast somewhere else.
Only good thing: movie channel & it is quite if your room does not face to the dog farm.

• Stayed: June 2012
Reviewed 23 June 2012

The room has no windows and it was not clean at all. Price vs quality is not acceptable!!On the other hand t he staff tried to be helpfull but not in this matter. He only said that he couldnot give a refund.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
1  Thank Cornelia H
Reviewed 22 May 2012

I booked this place at the last minute through agoda.com There must have been conventions on in SIngapore that week because there wasn't much to choose from. All the places that I usually stay in SIngapore were fully booked. The only choices I had were a few high-priced five-star hotels, some 'dodgy' places in the red light district, and Rider's Lodge. When I spotted Rider's Lodge on the agoda website, it was being offered at half price as a 'flash promotion' for SGD125 (the website said the normal room rate was SGD250) and there was only "one room left" - so I immediately booked it without checking the reviews on TripAdvisor first (something I rarely do) because the photos on the agoda website made it look like a nice boutique hotel. I thought I had been lucky and picked up a bargain. Alas, that proved not to be the case.

When I was at the airport a few days later, I decided to check the TripAdvisor reviews and my first reaction was "I should never have booked the room without checking TripAdvisor first" but I consoled myself with the facts that (a) there weren't any other practical choices available, and (b) sometimes places that have bad reviews don't turn out to be that bad because management takes note of the reviews and make improvements.

When I checked in (I had to guide the taxi driver using Google maps on my iPad because he had no idea where the hotel was) my first impressions were quite good. The place looked nice from the outside, the reception was clean and stylish, and the staff helpful. But when I entered the room, things took a turn for the worst. The room smelled like someone had been sick in it, there were stains on the bed sheets, the walls were grubby (looked like mould in places) and the paint was peeling off the walls. But I've stayed in worst places in Asia, so I arranged the bed sheet so I could sleep on a part that wasn't stained (the bed was otherwise very comfortable) and settled down to sleep.

But no sooner had I turned off the lights, there were mosquitoes buzzing around my ears. Every time I turned the lights back on, they disappeared, and when I turned the lights off they were back again (I did manage to swat one during the course of the night - the blood from the swatting only adding to the stains on the sheet!) It was impossible to sleep. I went to the reception to ask for some mosquito spray, and they sent someone to the room who sprayed under the bed and under the cabinets, but that didn't fix the problem. I was only able to sleep by turning all the lights on and putting the air conditioner on full blast and burying myself under the sheets.

Next day I asked them to spray the room properly when they serviced it, but when I came back in the late afternoon and decided to have a short nap before dinner, the mosquitoes were all over me again when I turned the lights out. So I went back to reception and demanded that they give me a can of mosquito spray so I could spray the room properly myself. The desk clerk first gave me a can of disinfectant, and I told him that wouldn't kill mosquitoes (I wondered whether that was what they had used previously). He went away and brought back a spray can of insect killer, and with that I fumigated the room with about a quarter of a can of spray. I left the room closed up for about two hours, and went to dinner. When I returned the can of insect killer, the duty manager was concerned about how the room would smell and offered to send one of the housekeeping staff there after an hour to spray the room with air freshener, but I asked him not to do that because I was worried they would leave the door open and let more mosquitoes in (I suspected that the mosquitoes enter when they service the rooms because there is insect screening on the outside bathroom window).

When I got back from dinner the room, the room was quite smelly, but it was a more tolerable smell than what was there before. And the mosquitoes were gone at last so I was eventually able to get a good night's sleep (aside from the fact that the guest next door was making calls on his mobile phone right outside my door until nearly midnight).

Two other things made this place a disappointing experience for me. The wi-fi signal in the rooms is so low it is useless. You need to go into reception to use it. Also, breakfast is very poor - what I would describe as 'low cost' - but that didn't worry me too much because I had found a nice organic cafe called The Living Cafe about 10 minutes walk away on Dunearn Road, so I went there instead and had a delicious breakfast. Another downside of having breakfast at Rider's Lodge is that there are some kennels right next to the hotel on the side where the breakfast area is, so you will 'enjoy' breakfast accompanied by the sounds of dozens of barking dogs. I would imagine that could be problem for guests in the rooms on that side too (fortunately my room was on the other side).

The location, which some other reviewers have criticized for being too far out of town, didn't worry me because I was only going to the Botanic Gardens on this trip (a $7 taxi ride away) and I found plenty of restaurants for dinner on Dunearn Road, within a 10 minutes walk (there are also a couple closer in the 'Horse City' compound next to the hotel, but I didn't try those as they were very busy).

All in all, a very disappointing stay. It's a pity really because the rooms are quite large, reasonably well furnished and the bathrooms newly renovated, and if the management painted the walls, put clean sheets on the bed and improved the breakfast, this could be quite a nice boutique hotel (apart from the barking dogs that is). But I don't think it could ever justify its rack rate of SGD250 a night.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the opposite side to the dog kennels
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo
4  Thank DavidAstley
Reviewed 27 April 2012

For the first time I have left a hotel under 24h, after arrivel, this place is the worst you can come to, the breakfest cutleri was greasy, the plates was greasy, the room was old an run down,the neigbors where a dogpound, who started barking at 0600am.

Room Tip: There is however a brigth spot in hte area, the restaurant Picotin, they serve exellent dining, at a...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank karl4961
Reviewed 16 April 2012

Riders lodge is exactly like what the other reviews say:
1. Not-so-clean sheets and towels (stains)
2. Location wise far from town and not very accessible
3. Turf city is nearby but with very few shops
4. Dogs barking in the morning
5. Service isn't wonderful
6. Breakfast was very simple

A good place if you need somewhere cheap to stay but if you have the $ choose somewhere else. I enjoyed my stay though due to the company. :D

• Stayed: April 2012
Also consider these accommodations in or near Singapore
Little India
Geylang
Hotel 81 - Gold
Hotel 81 - Gold
#222 of 319 in Singapore

Been to Rider's Lodge? Share your experiences!