“mediocre”

Ranked #126 of 308 Hotels in Singapore
Munich, Germany
“mediocre”
Reviewed 2 May 2010

This hotel isn't in a bad location, but you will definitely need a cab to get there. There is a shuttle that runs into the city from the hotel, but they do not pick up after 8pm and you have to know where to get it.

Don't be dazzled by the seemingly modern details. The rooms are indeed tiny and some of them don't even have windows. Things are kitschy and basic.

The hotel isn't awful, but I wouldn't stay there again.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank duellema

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (115)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
USA
Reviewed 30 April 2010

HEED ALL THE WARNINGS! We didn’t. Unfortunately, we decided to ignore the bad reviews on here and give the Hotel Re a try. It looked really cool and was close to China Town and a metro stop that would get us into the center of town quickly. That’s all well and good, but the actually hotel was a DISASTER.

The staff was extremely rude and unaccommodating. And they lie. We didn’t have a reservation and decided to just show up (because there were vacancies online). When we got there, they told us everything was booked. Then they said they would call a hotel down the street to see if there was anything there. Um, right. The girl picked up the phone and didn’t even hit any numbers. She replaced the receiver about 30 seconds later and told us the other hotel was booked too. (Was there some sort of recording to tell her that right when she picked up the phone??) Then, as we got to the door to leave and find another place, a room magically opened up for us! Wasn’t that convenient. We were told we could have that room for one night and then we would have to change rooms (fine). When we went down the next morning, the woman at the front desk told us we could just stay in that room but for the third night we would have to change rooms. Ok, fine. Well we went down the next morning and there were only the most expensive rooms left and the young man at the front desk, Benjamin (not his real name, I’m sure), told us we had to take the room which was more than double the price we were currently paying. (The woman the day before had told us this wouldn’t happen.) When I asked for a manager, Benjamin LAUGHED at me. I’m sorry, I asked him, is it funny that I would like to speak to a manager? When the manager came, I had to argue with him for 50 minutes until we finally agreed to what we had been promised the morning before. In the midst of the argument, he told me they had no other rooms (sorry kiddo, we heard that lie the first night we were there). We should have left the minute the first lie was told.

On top of that, toiletries were not replaced every morning as promised. There weren’t the right number of towels.

I have stayed at MANY hotels and hostels during my travels and this was by far the WORST, MOST FRUSTRATING experience and I wouldn’t recommend it to anyone. Maybe my worst enemy, but that’s being generous.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Seeker707

Travellers are raving about these Singapore hotels

Colombo
Reviewed 30 April 2010

The Stay at hotel Re, was for a city Break with My Mother and Wife which we spent 5 days in singapore. The Triple room that we got was a bearly enough for single person and the third bed was kept in a niche where I had to crawl to get on to the bed.

Just check the Photographs published arn't they Graphically inproved ( Photoshop) Images. The real thing does not follow most of the images.

Quite far to most of the activities and should take a taxi

The staff was quite friendly,

However I consider this as my worst hotel experiance I ever had, and would not recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
KL
Reviewed 23 April 2010

Nice, trendy, retro hotel. Lives up to it's name. Tastefully decorated and gives you that 70's feel with a touch of modern living. Reasonably priced, and within walking distance to a MRT station (can't remember the station name though). Also, there's a great park just in front of it too for those who have a habit of taking morning walks. Taxi to Orchard Road is around SGD 5.00, which of course translates to its good location.....possible to walk to Clarke Quay too....
Overall, had a nice stay there. Will come back if have the chance.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled on business
4 Thank Hotelier_Dr
Manila
Reviewed 28 March 2010

Stayed for three nights in a Premiere Room.

Room size was adequate at 28 sqm. The layout, however, was less than ideal and seemed to make the bedroom proper smaller than it should have been. The room was clean and the queen sized bed comfortable. Pillows were huge and had just the right firmness. Cleaning standards varied. One day I got my complimentary bottled water replenished, the other not. WiFi was free, the speed adequate. The room had the usual suspect magazines on offer -- Time Out Singapore and the like. TV was a 37-inch LCD with HBO on offer. Didn't get to watch much TV though as I got in pretty late each night. Got some traffic noise from the expressway below as my room faced the road rather than the park. Not so loud as to make sleep impossible for me but surely enough to annoy light sleepers.

I hate that they don't stock bath soap and instead offer gels and lotions in the bathrooms. Neither do I get the absence of a towel hook. Other than those nitpicks, the toiletries were pretty complete with toothbrushes and toothpaste being on offer.The rain shower was great with the water pressure more than adequate.

Breakfast was adequate. The American (eggs, Turkey Bacon) and Continental (breads, fruits, and juices) staples were on offer plus some Asian specialties (bihon, steamed buns, and congee).

The hotel's about 600+ meters from the Outram MRT station. Not a bad walk but a sure put-off for some, especially in the summer heat of Singapore. Be warned that there's literally nothing beside the hotel. No 7-11, no mall, no food stalls, nothing but a park and, as previously noted, an expressway. Chinatown would be about a kilometer away.

Overall, just ok in my book. While the room was nice, the layout meant wasted space. Another deduction for location and the absence of stuff near the hotel.

However, the price per night plus breakfast plus taxes of around SGD220 made the hotel an overall good choice that merits it a second look the next time I find myself in Singapore. At least, for as long the Orchard Road and Marina Bay Hotels are averaging SGD260 per night without taxes and without breakfast.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled on business
2 Thank PhTravelling_Guy
Taipei
Reviewed 22 March 2010

We stayed here for a three day stop over. They checked us in an hour or so early without to much of a hassle. The staff was quite helpful and friendly. They even arranged to take us to Clarke Quay with the shuttle bus that is suppose to go the MRT. I read some previous reviews saying it is far from the MRT, but the MRT is just about 7 minutes walk through the park. The hotel is a bit out of the way, but is still 15 minutes to all the tourist areas. This hotel is not GREAT, but it is nice for a short stopover. I’ll definitely return if I go to Singapore again.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank sneeky_9
Singapore
Reviewed 14 March 2010

Our experience can be summed as 'simple, fuss free, clean and comfortable'. Contrary to what some of the earlier viewers said, the staff here were very friendly and helpful, the wifi speed was superb, and breakfast was simple but nice. We have the complimentary head and neck message and the messeur was real good. Although the location is a bit distance from shops and restaurants, they hace the shuttle bus service which will solve this problem.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple