“Worst food ever!”

Ranked #100 of 11,380 Restaurants in Singapore
Cuisines: French
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Orchard Road
Description: As the flagship restaurant of the Les Amis Group family, the award winning Les Amis presents an exquisite French dining experience combined with an extensive range of fine wines and impeccable service in an elegantly modern setting. Les Amis, the French translation of "The Friends", is the sophisticated first born of the Les Amis Group family. In the 1990s, there was a dearth of independent fine-dining restaurants in Singapore's food and beverage scene. Les Amis filled the void by becoming Singapore's first independent fine-dining establishment when it opened on 15 March 1994. Executive Chef Sebastien Lepinoy's unique style and creativity of fusing French techniques with Asian influence, while focusing on the natural flavours of ingredients, ensures a delightful complement to local climate and palates. WINES: Les Amis boasts one of the most extensive wine lists in Asia and has been on the Wine Spectator Grand Award Winners for 18 years running, since 1996. There are only 74 Grand Award Winners worldwide, and 4 in Asia. With more than 3000 bottles housed in a temperature-and-humidity controlled wine cellar, the award winning wine list is designed to complement the modern and contemporary cuisine at Les Amis. Most of the wines are from France, mainly Burgundy and Bordeaux. New and Old World wines displaying high level of quality are also available.
Reviewed 27 April 2012

The food is extremely over priced and the quality does not reflect the high prices in anyway shape or form. Probably the worst French restaurant I have ever been to in my life. The grilled squid for starters was chewy and un edible. The monk fish as the main course was as ugly as the fish itself (google monk fish to understand) the desert was the cherry in top for the worst dinner I had in Singapore.

4  Thank Youssefilali

Reviewed 13 April 2012

there is nothing to hate about, and everything to love about. the service, and the food are simply beyond culinary extraordinare

1  Thank ronaldcmz
Reviewed 16 March 2012

We have been coming to Les Amis for at least once a year for the last 12 years even though the restaurant had changed hands since it opened in 1994. Amin Leitgeb now helms the kitchen with a devotion to freshness of ingredients that is perhaps undersung in the crowded high end dining scene of Singapore. His Maine lobster with spinach and artichoke in sauce bordelais was truly exceptional: the lobster was succulent but not chewey and the unique sauce made it pair beautifully with a Colgin Syrah. Lobster and red wine usually don't go well together resulting in the wine tasting "tin-ny". The 2,000 labels in the cellar with immaculate wine service helped secured it a Wine Spectator Grand Award. As a collector, there is no other restaurant in town I would entrust my 40+ year-old Bordeaux to open and serve. The Angus beef steak was perfectly done medium and tender without the super high fat that an equivalent cut of Waygu beef comes with. For that special celebratory dinner, we always come here even though MBS has many more celebrity chef restaurants. If you could manage it, come on a Tuesday night when the $80 corkage fee is waived. Now, that's your chance to crack open that well-aged claret, sit back and enjoy the magical food of Chef Amine and feel really good that food gets to be this good in Singapore.

4  Thank sunnyboy9
Reviewed 11 March 2012

les amis is a great place for a romantic date. service is excellent and food was really good. my partner and i had one set each and it was definitely very filling. if you don't fancy anything on their set menu, let them know and they'll gladly change it for you too. place was really elegant and nice. pricey place though!

1  Thank J C
Reviewed 15 February 2012

Les Amis is the restaurant to visit if you wish to impress anyone with the best in fine dining in Singapore.

Currently ranked at 55th position in the Best Restaurant in the World (based on opinions and experiences of over 800 international restaurant industry experts), do not expect dining at Les Amis to be inexpensive. That said, for the money spent, one will get the best dining experience in terms of the display in the finest of culinary art, coupled with top-notch service.

On Valentine’s Day 2012, I had the privilege of hitting my 20th Valentine milestone with the love of my life. I decided to give Les Amis the opportunity to live up to its reputation. It did (for details please continue reading).

The Valentine dinner menu on that day was themed Traditional & Modern. It was a 7 course meal. Each course was served with delicatessen prepared in the traditional way, as well as the modern approach using the art of Molecular Gastronomy. Only a world class chef is able to pull off such a feat for all the 7 complex dishes on the menu. In total, there were 14 mini servings – 7 traditional and 7 modern. It was a delight just watching each of the dishes coming out of the kitchen in pairs of “Traditional & Modern”. The taste of each dish was in a word – Sublime!

In terms of service, the Head Waiter by the name of Mr. Erik Pravica was assigned to my table. As each course was served, he provided succinct narration for each of the traditional & modern dishes, including details of the ingredients and method of preparation. This resulted in a heightened appreciation for the level of culinary skills that had gone into the dishes. I found myself admiring each dish for a whole minute & taking photos of them before (very slowly and deliberately) consuming the fine work of art. My highest compliments to the Chef De Cuisine, the famed Armin Leitgeb.

The restaurant ambiance is quiet, cosy and romantic. The spacing between tables is generous, giving diners sufficient privacy, and ease of having uninterrupted conversations.

Needless to say, my Valentine was impressed with the entire dining experience. (Note: She is an established image consultant who teaches dining etiquette, and is no stranger to fine dining. She is not easily impressed, especially when expectations are higher than usual for Les Amis). That in itself says a lot about the capability of Les Amis in maintaining its lofty status.

Before concluding this review, I wish to elaborate a bit more on the service. From the time I picked up the phone to make an enquiry till I exit the restaurant, the service level is impeccable. My enquiry was taken by Vincent and the reservation was confirmed by Eileen. During my recce of the restaurant, the Assistant Manager, Mr. Khairil Farhan, answered all my questions and reassured me that I have chosen the right venue to commemorate my 20th Valentine’s Day. The reservation had to be secured by credit card. Based on Mr. Farhan’s handling of my case, there was no doubt in my mind that my Valentine’s Day dining experience are in good hands.

Just before leaving the restaurant, the Maitre D’ (master of the establishment), Mr. Christian Wild, gave a stalk of rose to my wife and accompanied us out of the restaurant. He took time to chat with us for about 10 minutes, double/triple checking on whether or not we were really happy with the food and service. I assure him that the restaurant had indeed exceeded my expectations; plus, I am satisfied enough to write a good review to share my experience with anyone looking for the best in French fine dining in Singapore.

5  Thank DaveTan