“'Happy Ending' Hotel!”
Review of Hornbill Hotel

Hornbill Hotel
Ranked #292 of 316 Hotels in Singapore
Reviewed 8 July 2014

There are only 2 reasons why I've given this place a poor rather than a terrible; 1) The staff were really friendly and helpful 2) the shower was hot and ridiculously powerful - if you put it on full whack it would literally launch itself round the room, which is always a good thing in my book.
The reasons then I give it a poor rating
1) The Bug Life - on arriving we found out we hadn't been given a room for two but in fact a dormitory for cockroaches. Now I've seen by fair share of bugs in hotels, but this was an invasion. You had everything from your finger nail size to your fist size. I think the only reason we didn't leave immediately, and instead began on a search and destroy cockroach policy, was, as mentioned, because the shower was amazing.
2) Stained bed sheets and towels - I'm only glad we didn't have a uv torch with us; I think the mantra - the stains you see, are the stains not to fear, is a useful one!
3) The hotel clearly had a room by the hour rental policy - now we didn't actually hear anything, but thats probably a testament to the places thick walls, there was a stream of guys and women coming in and out of the hotel, maybe you don't mind this, it was more than a little off putting for us, especially as with the point about sheets above.

Overall, while the shower was awesome (especially after experiencing pathetic showers one after the other in east asia) you probably shouldn't stay here for that reason alone. For the same price you can stay at onevof the far superior Fragrance group of hotels which we spent one night, tyere much cleaner and nicer and are definitely worth the money (I have a review about Fragrance Emerald too).

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank JKerching
There are newer reviews for Hornbill Hotel

Reviewed 20 May 2014

been here this month of May for a week right every after meetings. it was a great experienced i had with the staff , management and even the room cleaners was so courteous to check what i need each day. seeing everytime i went down to the lobby area those smiling receptionist saying "HI"...and even very helpful on giving such information i needed on how to get into another place..
...just a wonderful experienced to have new friends here!!
see u on my next visit buddies!

Dr. Abby C.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank abby1798
Reviewed 23 April 2014 via mobile

The room was very small.
The AC leeked and was loud, so we couldnt sleep with it on.
Dodgy area, near red light district with pervy men.
Unhelpful staff.
Uncomfortable pillows.

but. You do get a bottle of water free each per day.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Emily C
Reviewed 5 April 2014 via mobile

So, arriving in Singapore after 4 months travelling around southeast Asia and you have to adjust your spending habits a little. We booked happy hotel in advance to save the hassle of arriving in a city and then not knowing where to go. From the airport it was an easy run on the MRT getting off at EW10. 10minute walk to the hotel from the station.
The hotel is within the 'red light district' but apart from some short skirts, it isn't much to write home about. It certainly felt quite safe all the while we were there (5 nights).
We stayed on the 6th floor. Room was small 10ft square, but clean. Bathroom was also small but clean. Fresh towels daily and bottled water. Air con worked and was almost silent. Space was a bit of an issue as there was 2 of us carrying a lot of luggage (2 year trip). TV worked.
So in summary, it was the most expensive hotel we have stayed in to date, but for Singapore it was cheap, nice and clean, well located and there was some nice places to eat round about. We also walked into town and it took just under an hour.
Reception staff very friendly and helpful.
Thanks for a nice stay. Would recommend.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Rob S
Reviewed 23 February 2014

Myself and my boyfriend arrived in Singapore after 2 weeks of travelling in South East Asia and booked 5 nights in the Happy Hotel from the 27th December - 2nd of January before I flew home. He is staying in Singapore for a year as a student and so he was aware of the nature of Geylang, as was I, and so the working ladies and pimps on the street weren't really a problem. We arrived and asked to see our room before paying, just to ensure it was what we were looking for/was clean and tidy, and the miserable looking receptionist told us that wasn't possible. As we were without sleep, we agreed to pay without checking after she assured us the room was clean. Our double room was very simple - there was a double bed, TV, en-suite with shower and loud air con. There were quite a few questionable marks on the walls, like brown stains. There was nowhere to keep our clothes and so it was impossible to keep our small room tidy, especially when carrying our belongings and clothes from all of our travels. Our towels were only replaced once during our stay after having to go and ask, the same with our toilet roll. The towels we were then given had holes and stains on them. Our sheets were not changed during our 5 nights and our bathroom was not tidied or the soap replenished. We were however given 2 bottles of water everyday, perhaps the only redeeming feature. A hairdryer is also said to be included in the price of the room when you book, however I had to pay a deposit of S$20 to loan a hairdryer from reception and it was a tiny travel one at that that I might as well have not used. I would recommend a stay here if you only need a shower and a sleep, but the scabby nature of this hotel definitely put a downer on the end of our travels. I realise we were on a budget and the hotel is quite cheap, but it is advertised as being much more of a bargain for your money than it is. We stayed in a Fragrance Hotel around the corner from 2nd - 3rd which somehow worked out cheaper per night and was ten times more comfortable and clean. There are other, much better options in this district if you are looking for affordable accommodation. I do not rate this hotel.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Hannah R
Reviewed 13 February 2014

Nice place next to a bus stop with all major routes. The rooms are small with not a lot of room to put any clothes away but were adequate. The beds are comfy, there is air con, fresh towels and bottled water everday however there is no fridge.

The staff are so friendly and helpful. I didn't realise this was the red light district until I read other reviews but to me it still, felt safe. The area is good for eating whether you want a restaurant or a snack.

We stayed for seven nights and I would stay again.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Emma025
Reviewed 2 February 2014

My last few trips with this hotel (2 years back)
Room is dirty, noisy, the street is full of pimps and strongly not recommend for family with kids. Good thing is that the location is near to bus station and 5-8 minutes walk to the nearest MRT.

My recent visit to this hotel
Room cleanliness has improved A LOT! Toilet is clean and everything is in good order. The street is less busy as compare to last time and the front desk is very responsive. This time i see more tourist hotel guest, unlike the past "more local" hotel guest stay in.

In my opinions, this hotel is good for money since i just need a place for a night of sleep and shower.

I will come back again with this sort of improvement. keep it up

tips:
I stayed in 5th floor standard room. With window and non smoking floor.
Since the building is a non smoking compound, you dont have to worry about that.
The room is really small. If you have a big luggage, pls request for bigger room. Once you open your mid size luggage, you probably have no more space to walk around the room.
If you are plus size person, the toilet is going to be a problem because the design of the room is slim and long.

Room Tip: I stayed in 5th floor standard room. With window and non smoking floor. Since the building is a non...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple