“awfully chocolate”

Ranked #42 of 282 Dessert in Singapore
Neighbourhood: Joo Chiat
Neighbourhood: Joo Chiat
Reviewed 21 November 2013

Since 1998, Awfully Chocolate has brought all things chocolate to Singaporeans and so I think it needs no further introduction. From selling only three types of dark chocolate cake, it has expanded its menu to various kinds of desserts and cakes. Here are some of the items that were on sales since August 2012.

I don't know what is the secret cold-poach method used for this Cold poached chocolate $6.00 but it is simply a velvety semi-solidified chocolate ganache. It was my favourite out of the rest, because it was just pure chocolate goodness without any obstructions in the mouth.The saltiness of the Salted Butterscotch Blondie Brownie $6.90 did not strike out as much as I would have thought. But the delectable fudgy, chewy texture after microwaving makes it one of the earliest cake to be wiped off the plate.On the other hand, the bulky Hazelnut Crumble with a cookie base $6.90 is not something that you will like on the first bite, but the bittersweet taste gradually crawled in. What I like most is the top crumble layer, which was why I bought it initially. But apart from that, I would still pick the Butterscotch Blondie.The White Chocolate Creme Brûlée ($6.90) which was served in a ramekin dish, is now in a the form of tart like their Chocolate Tart. But ooh...this would be one of the sweetest dessert I would remember for life. So sweet that I would avoid at all cost the next time.The White Chocolate Butterscotch Block ($6.50) is not something new on the menu but I wanted to recall its taste. This is fairly good one when you have it with the dense brownies because the light fluffy texture of Swiss roll sponge and the sweet-salty butterscotch cream helps to balance the richness of the latter. But the white chocolate layer tasted more like buttercream instead of fresh cream which I would prefer. And surprisingly, after having ALL these except the Creme brûlée in one sitting, I was not hit with any chocolate concussion as my previous visit for Fullerton Chocolate Buffet.

Hope that when I return there will be new items to try too! pls visit blog for full post and pictures.

Reviewed 15 September 2013

The chocolate fudge cake which they give post heating it slightly is a sin you would want to indulge in everyday. Although the pricing needs to be worked upon and is slightly on a steeper side but as they say " When it's desserts, keep no bridges". So worth visiting once for experiencing that ecstasy.

1  Thank Sneha2988
Reviewed 22 August 2013

the price surprises me at first it's $7 for 100gms!!!
but when it starts to reach my tastebuds and melt in my mouth... what the heck!
$7 is really worth the price...

sounds awfull
looks simple
but tastes really really good

Reviewed 24 June 2013

It's is my staple cake to buy whenever any of my family members celebrate their birthdays. It is light yet fudgy,rich and moist at the same time.

Also, the service here is much much better than Jane / Lana's cake house

Reviewed 5 June 2013

I came to visit the Joo Chiat shop for the first time to dine in. Interesting and good food but service has to improve a lot. Staff did not pay attention to simple order like cutleries and water. The peak was to challenge me for the take away receipt I have passed to them without checking their cashier table and colleague who mend the counter. I was expecting a nice breakfast but with my challenging experienced and to listen to an angry family who sat a couple of tables behind me who was not happy with one of the waiters, had brought the atmosphere down.