“Excellent”

Neighbourhood: Downtown Core
London, United Kingdom
“Excellent”
Reviewed 1 July 2014

Six of us enjoyed a relaxed business dinner. We were fortunate to have a Singaporean Chinese colleague order for us and therefore sampled a variety of dishes and flavours that we might not otherwise have found. Every dish was interesting. I liked the salted egg prawns more than the bean curd cubes and the steak more than the noodles, but it kept coming. Poor wine list. Awesome food.

• Visited July 2014
1 Thank David J

• Indonesian first
  • Turkish first
Chandigarh, Chandigarh, India
“Pizzeria Giardino”
Reviewed 29 May 2014

After a long tiring day, I and my wife never wanted to get back to the hotel and have some boring food. So Chijmes was suggested by the taxi driver, when we said drop us to a place where we can get good food and also walk back to our Hotel. As soon as I entered, I was in for a surprise, never knew about this place, it looked so vintage and at the same time I could see all the modern bar and restaurants offering multiple cuisine. Initially I was taken by the beauty of the place and till the time I did not take a complete look at the place, I did not settle.

Being a vegetarian I chose to take a safe bet of Pizza and settled for Pizzeria Giardino. It was a nice cozy place with outdoor sitting (which I wanted), ordered beer, pizza and desserts the food was excellent, the staff was very courteous. I reached very near to the closing hours, but the waitress did not mind that and served us, till the time we said, thank you. I don't remember the name of that girl, but really appreciate her courtesy.

Overall multiple choices of food under one roof, a range of restaurants and bars, to choose which style of dining is preferred. Food was great at Pizzeria Giardino, can't comment on others and byfar a good location for dinner. However on an expensive side, as I shelled out $80 for 2 people on vegetarian.

• Visited August 2013
Hong Kong
“Safe bet for dim sum”
Reviewed 15 May 2014

I've been on a quest for the best dim sum in Sigapore. I found me 3 girlfriends who share the same passion for steamed dumplings and we've been on a mission since.

Our ratings are based on:
1) Overall quality of food (one shouldn't be trekking to a dim sum spot for any one particular dish)
2) Ambiance
3) Service

Lei Garden, of HK fame, has been on the radar so we finally booked last Saturday:

Definitely amongst the better har gows and siu mais in town. Far from the best, but sitting comfortably above the mediocre line. Everything arrived promptly, which is always key for two reasons: dim sum ought to be served pipping hot, and more importantly to maximize variety at any given moment.

The space was nice enough, a bit tired, but comfortable and pleasant with a nice weekend crowd. The kind of place one could invite fellow yummy mummies or future in-laws to.

Service - everyone was friendly and adequate though they didn't give me much else to say about that.

Verdict: I've added Lei Gardens to our Return list, which isn't bad considering there are only about 3-4 other places on the list.

• Visited December 2013
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
“Very Authentic So Be Careful What You Order”
Reviewed 27 April 2014 via mobile

We ate here on our first night in Singapore, having been recommended to try Chijmes for a choice of restaurants near our hotel. Unfortunately Chijmes is undergoing some major renovations at the moment and there were very few restaurants open for business that night. We opted for Lei Garden and it was ok but much more "authentic" than we had experienced before. Feeling adventurous we ordered a selection of items, including a couple of things we had never seen on a menu before (neither of which were very nice). The staff spoke very little English hence were unable to help us choose more wisely. Even by Singapore standards it was an expensive meal with wine prices even we baulked at. Not somewhere we would return to.

Visited April 2014
Blackwood, Gwent
“Oriental Fine Dining”
Reviewed 18 April 2014 via mobile

Located in the Chijmes complex close to the Raffles Hotel so we ate here after our obligatory Singapore Slings. The setting is lovely, an old Catholic convent which now houses lots of restaurants and bars in the buildings and the cloisters. The lei garden is in one of the halls which has very high ceilings with beautiful plasterwork. We were the only Europeans in the restaurant that night which made it a fun experience. The staff had limited English but were smiling and helpful. There are lots of fish tanks with various fish and crabs and the revolting looking geoduck ( a house speciality) where a hand often appears to catch someone's dinner.
We ordered too much, crispy duck, which was prepared at the table, belly pork and green beans, noodles and rice. We ordered wine, which was expensive but hey ho it was a top end restaurant and we would have paid more in the UK. SGD200 approx £100 so a very pleasant evening out.

Visited April 2014