“Really quite good for the price, better than Hotel 81 Lucky” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Regin Hotel

Regin Hotel
Ranked #277 of 309 Hotels in Singapore
Bunbury, Australia
“Really quite good for the price, better than Hotel 81 Lucky”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 October 2011

I booked in here through Agoda as I didn't like when I stayed at Lucky (mouldy, musty smell and plastic mattress and sheets with holes in them). Expected much the same, but was very surprised.

I was only staying for a 23 hour layover before returning to Australia and didn't want to hang at the budget terminal that long, so came into Regin Hotel.

The taxi driver found it a bit hard to find - his GPS took us to 250 Sims Avenue instead of 56. Maybe if you tell the driver it is near the corner of Sims Way and Sims Avenue you might get here quicker.

Once inside I was warmly welcome by a very friendly elderly Chinese gentleman, whose name escapes me. Very obliging.

The only shock was when he asked for a $S50 deposit in cash, as I had not been aware of this. I looked in my wallet but after the taxi fare had only around $40 so he said $20 was fine, and this was returned to me in the morning immediately upon checkout, where once again I was greeted by the reception staff in a warm and friendly manner.

The room itself was small and it is an older style hotel, but there was no bad smells in the room, and there was no mould in the bathroom. Shower didn't get really hot, but was passable. Like many Singapore rooms there is no curtain in the shower, so the whole bathroom gets wet - toilet, sink, bathroom floor etc, but not really a drama.

Bed was very comfortable. Got two free small bottles of water on arrival and 2 small toothbrush and paste sets. Aircon worked very well.

Tv has a wide variety of channels, even if few in English.

Small mini fridge in wardrobe to keep the water cold.

This is dearer than Hotel 81 Lucky, but if you want accommodation at the budget end of the scale this is certainly one I would recommend

Room Tip: i asked for one on a higher floor - road outside isnt too noisy, but there are the odd motorbikes go...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
5 Thank imetmytruelove

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
  • Thai first
Andover
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 October 2011

I booked into this hotel in November 2011 after spending two weeks in Borneo.

I walked into the room the smell just hit me! The smell of smoke was discusting! So my immediate reaction was to go and ask for a no-smoking room. I got informed that you could smoke in all the rooms. As a non-smoker I found the smell too much. So I asked if they could do anything about the smell. The lady behind the desk said she would send the cleaner with some airfreshner.

I then went back to my room were my husband was waiting. He had then established by this point that the windows would not open, the air con was broken and made an irritating noise and the tv had no channels that worked. There was also lots of different splash marks across the Walls, I'm just glad I don't know what they where!

When the cleaner arrived she only had a bottle of some sort of cleaner. She proceeded to spray behind the wardrobe, desk and curtains. It turn out that she was spraying bleach everywhere! So then we were then left with the strong smell of bleach and cigarette smoke. It was horrible, so much it made me fell sick!

This was the last straw for me and I sat on the bed and cried! My husband then decided that he was not happy seeing me like this and said we were leaving regardless if wether or not we could not get our money back. The management kindly gave us a full refund and we left to go and stay somewhere else. We ended up at the novotel Clarke quay, which I can highly recommend - it's worth the extra dollars!

Please don't think I am being a snob as I have stay in budget hotels all the time but this is by far the one I have disliked the most. I chose this hotel purely on the judgement of fellow trip advisor members and I was completely disappointed.

• Stayed November 2010
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank Sazzykins

Travellers are raving about these Singapore hotels

Addis Ababa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2011

A colleague and I stayed in two single rooms 24-29July 2011, and we had a great time. The staff were helpful and friendly beyond belief, the hotel itself is located in the Geyland area, but away from all the noise and bustle. Madam See helped us reserve online with no advance understanding our problem that we didn't have credit card, Sunny and the rest of the reception staff were so welcoming and friendly during our stay. Thanks very much everyone, for making our stay delightful. We will certainly be coming back for vacation soon, and look forward to seeing you again!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
5 Thank Kalamare
Colombia, S.A.
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2011

Singapore is a damned expensive city. For S$90, in any other part of S.E. Asia, you could get a 3-4 star hotel in most downtowns. When I walked into my room, I have to say I was a bit taken aback, but I wasn't in Singapore to sit in my room, so it sufficed.

The Kalang MRT stop is only a 5 minute walk from the hotel, will take you anywhere you want to go, and fast. The staff at this place is hit-or-miss: Sonny ("look at the Sun, and remember my name is Sonny") is a gas and helps with anything you might need, another guy (didn't get his name) who was working the desk when I checked out, wouldn't even call me a taxi-he just told me to go stand on the curb with my bags during peak morning rush hour and stick my hand out, and hopefully someone would stop. Thanks much for that....

I am a single guy and walked the area at night, I wasn't harrased by anyone, and never felt in danger in the least - it's far enough away from the red-light district where it doesn't feel seedy at all, although there were plenty of Singaporean men coming in and out for most of the day and night paying the "in-transit" fee with their "companions".

The room itself, while a shoebox, did the job fine - it has a little fridge, small LCD TV on the wall, and AC, but it looked as though someone took a golf club to the AC controls (see pic), so the temp couldn't be adjusted. Wifi, in room, worked well.

While I didn't hear any shenanigans going on by the temporary guests, it was annoying to have about a dozen chinese tourists check in at about midnight, and begin screaming to each other from the various floors they were assigned to. This went on for about an hour before I told them all to shut the hell up (I doubt they understood me, but they could tell I didn't appreciate their form of communication).

If this were in most other cities, I would in no way recommend it, but because Singapore is so expensive, Regin Hotel is a viable option for a short term stay (no more than 3-4 nights).

• Stayed July 2011, travelled solo
4 Thank inspectorjavert70
Melbourne
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2011

While the room was large enough the bathroom was a little small. The lack of a shower-screen meant everything got wet when anyone showered. The staff were both very friendly and helpful, but it really is the bad part of town and this hotel rents rooms by the hour... Not bad for a room in Singapore and close enough to PT to be useful.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank justabloke
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2011

Its worthy to stay in this hotel. Conveniently located near train station and food courts. Many land bus services available. The room is good and comfortable. Quite surrounding. Friendly staff service really warming me at my evening checkin. it is safe at night to walk around in the area. will be back again.

• Stayed June 2011
2 Thank indontim
World Wide Traveller
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2011

I arrived from Indonesia late in Singapore and just needed to have a shower and a few hours sleep before my next flight, my usual hotels where full so through the TripAdvisor comments I had to make a choice for a reasonably priced property.
The location is not to far from the airport, lots of local restaurants in the area, but the hotel need really to be freshening up.
Very nice staff, good airco, reasonably choice of TV channels, they have internet but I did not try it, and all this does not compensate my feeling that maybe it was not as clean as it looked like, again due to the lack of fresh paint and finishing touches....
I probably choose another location next time if the other hotels are available.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled solo