“Room was OK” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #276 of 308 Hotels in Singapore
San Francisco Bay Area
“Room was OK”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2012

Room is small but clean, it was OK to me at this price.

The front desk offered me a free bottle of water on arrival but no more bottle after that even I paid same price as the first date.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank hills168

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
  • Thai first
Tokyo, Japan
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2012

Stayed here for a couple of nights....... no real complaints other than a rather unpleasant smell.
You get what you pay for: not much.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 January 2012

This hotel is for the budget traveler and you should not expect anything above the average. The room was a bit dated with a few marks on the wall, but the bed was comfy and it had aircon, tv and a fridge which were all fine. The bathroom was functional and fine.
Its located on the metro which is handy and its on Sims avenue which has an interesting local nightlife.
All in all, its basic but (for Singapore) reasonably priced. If you are on a budget you may as well give it a go.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank PeteJN
Los Angeles
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 December 2011

If you are looking for simple and inexpensive accommodation in Singapore, the Hotel Regin is a good option. The standard rooms are clean but very small so they are probably only OK for a solo traveler. And unless you plan to spend a lot of time in your room, the small size isn't a big deal.

The hotel is a couple of long blocks from the Kallang SMRT station. A fairly easy walk and once on the SMRT, you can get to just about anywhere in Singapore.

I was told that the Geylang section of the city is the "red light" district, but the Hotel Regin is on the edge of Geylang and I didn't notice anything "red light" around the hotel.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled solo
4 Thank pd-dp
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 October 2011

Made last minute booking by phone, staff was so helpful. Me and my family moved from a horrible hostel to this hotel, and we found it quite suitable for resting. Singapore hotels are so damn expensive compared to other countries, and this one was reasonable enough (eventhough you could get a 5Star standard hotel in China with same amount of money, haha).

What they need to improve is the stacking of cleaning trolleys all over the 4th floor, but other than that, I would recommend people to stay here.

• Stayed October 2011
5 Thank FaRa-Sandhi
Bunbury, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 October 2011

I booked in here through Agoda as I didn't like when I stayed at Lucky (mouldy, musty smell and plastic mattress and sheets with holes in them). Expected much the same, but was very surprised.

I was only staying for a 23 hour layover before returning to Australia and didn't want to hang at the budget terminal that long, so came into Regin Hotel.

The taxi driver found it a bit hard to find - his GPS took us to 250 Sims Avenue instead of 56. Maybe if you tell the driver it is near the corner of Sims Way and Sims Avenue you might get here quicker.

Once inside I was warmly welcome by a very friendly elderly Chinese gentleman, whose name escapes me. Very obliging.

The only shock was when he asked for a $S50 deposit in cash, as I had not been aware of this. I looked in my wallet but after the taxi fare had only around $40 so he said $20 was fine, and this was returned to me in the morning immediately upon checkout, where once again I was greeted by the reception staff in a warm and friendly manner.

The room itself was small and it is an older style hotel, but there was no bad smells in the room, and there was no mould in the bathroom. Shower didn't get really hot, but was passable. Like many Singapore rooms there is no curtain in the shower, so the whole bathroom gets wet - toilet, sink, bathroom floor etc, but not really a drama.

Bed was very comfortable. Got two free small bottles of water on arrival and 2 small toothbrush and paste sets. Aircon worked very well.

Tv has a wide variety of channels, even if few in English.

Small mini fridge in wardrobe to keep the water cold.

This is dearer than Hotel 81 Lucky, but if you want accommodation at the budget end of the scale this is certainly one I would recommend

Room Tip: i asked for one on a higher floor - road outside isnt too noisy, but there are the odd motorbikes go...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank imetmytruelove
Andover
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 October 2011

I booked into this hotel in November 2011 after spending two weeks in Borneo.

I walked into the room the smell just hit me! The smell of smoke was discusting! So my immediate reaction was to go and ask for a no-smoking room. I got informed that you could smoke in all the rooms. As a non-smoker I found the smell too much. So I asked if they could do anything about the smell. The lady behind the desk said she would send the cleaner with some airfreshner.

I then went back to my room were my husband was waiting. He had then established by this point that the windows would not open, the air con was broken and made an irritating noise and the tv had no channels that worked. There was also lots of different splash marks across the Walls, I'm just glad I don't know what they where!

When the cleaner arrived she only had a bottle of some sort of cleaner. She proceeded to spray behind the wardrobe, desk and curtains. It turn out that she was spraying bleach everywhere! So then we were then left with the strong smell of bleach and cigarette smoke. It was horrible, so much it made me fell sick!

This was the last straw for me and I sat on the bed and cried! My husband then decided that he was not happy seeing me like this and said we were leaving regardless if wether or not we could not get our money back. The management kindly gave us a full refund and we left to go and stay somewhere else. We ended up at the novotel Clarke quay, which I can highly recommend - it's worth the extra dollars!

Please don't think I am being a snob as I have stay in budget hotels all the time but this is by far the one I have disliked the most. I chose this hotel purely on the judgement of fellow trip advisor members and I was completely disappointed.

• Stayed November 2010
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank Sazzykins

Travellers are raving about these Singapore hotels