“Stay away”

Empire Hostel
Ranked #167 of 227 Speciality Lodging in Singapore
“Stay away”
Reviewed 20 June 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for just one night. The owner charged me extra 3 dollars because I was staying just one night and told these were her rules.
Bed sheets dirty, horrible location, its better to pay more some dollars and stay somewhere else, otherwise you will have to spend some money to pay the subway.

You even need to pay a deposit for the key, ok its normal, but 30 dollars for an old key?

The owner is really annoying and rude, you even cannot call this a hostel.

Pay more and stay in place better.

Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Felipe F

Families
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed 3 June 2014 via mobile

During the past five months I've stayed at approximately 45 different hostels and this was by far the worst one.

It's rather easy to get to the city from Empire hostel, but other than that the location of the hostel sucks. And it's difficult to find it from the outside as it only has a crappy paper sign reading "EMPI" over the entrance door.

The "manager" which is an awfully weird woman, totally ruined our stay at this hostel. She has no respect for her guests and does not understand the word "privacy". She came running into our room once an hour, even when we had locked the door (she opened it with her key), just to ask us when we would be checking out (even though she had the answer herself), or just to adjust the AC temperature.
It was as if we were staying in here house or something and she felt the need to "check on us". She was also in our room during the night. Have no idea what she was doing but I sharply told her to leave the room right away. Creepy!

Also, when I was I the bathroom I heard her talking with one of the guests (while she was showering, in the "guest shower") about her personal life and who she was sleeping with and also her thoughts about this man. I mean. COME ON!

This was an extremely unpleasant stay, mainly because of her, but also because of the fact that we had to pay an extra 10% upon arrival and that there was only 4 toilets/showers.

Also, when my friend wanted to extend her stay for an extra night she had to pay a lot more than the actual price per night.

If you are looking for a cheap place to stay, this is definitely an alternative. But don't expect anything more than a bed from this hostel. The service is 0. But hey, it's still somewhere to sleep. I don't know. Decide for your self if it's worth dealing with this lady for a cheap bed. I don't think it is worth it. She is awful.

• Stayed May 2014
2 Thank Lordfanagan

Travellers are raving about these Singapore hotels

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 May 2014 via mobile

This place is cheap, near the MRT Station and, if you are good at walking, you can even walk to little India. It took us around 45 minutes walking. The place is very simple, but clean and the beds are very private. Not easy to find and not many places to eat around. It has a kitchen with microwave and a little oven, and hot water.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 April 2014

Empire Hostel served its purpose in Singapore for us. It was very cheap and in walking distance of the MRT station Potong Pasir which gets you in to the city centre in a matter of minutes. There's nothing actually near the hostel and you can't really walk to the city. Hostel was clean and had very basic kitchen facilities. Stay here if you're on a budget. Watch out for the extra charge if you want to extend your stay!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank SamSwede32
Reviewed 19 September 2013 via mobile

Stinks of curry and infested with bed bugs!!! Air conditioning is on the most minimal settin to save power so does absolutely nothing. You pay for what you get, i know, but this is taking the mick. Not to mention its in the middle of nowhere and most taxi drivers havent got a clue where it is

2 Thank Nick H
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 31 August 2013

My friend and i originally booked at Hello WOW, and on arrival we were told that our beds had been sold to someone else as we were 30 minutes later than the time we stated when booking. As any traveller knows, 30 minutes is nothing. Anyway, we were moved to the sister hostel, call EMPIRE HOSTEL.
This was the worst experince of our 2 month travel. On arrival we were told to pay an additional 10% service charge, which i questioned and the manager shrugged it off and said its the owners rules. We made it quite clear that we wanted our monies worth from this ghost service charge and by no means did this happen. we were forced to turn the tv off, stop talking and moving around in communal areas after 12am. Therefore the only thing to do was to go to bed. In which a very rude middle eastern man was talking loudly on skype until 2am. By which time i told him to leave and when he didnt, the other tenants and i woke the manager up to complain, and the response was....... its not my problem. Sort it out between yourselves. This very nearly caused a fight between us and the rude middle eastern man. After this we obviously left as we did not feel welcome there at all.
Location was terrible, signage was non existant and service is not there. Which is a shame as the tv, massage chair and communal area were all ok.
We are currently writing this from ABC Premium hostel, which i must say is the best hostel i've ever stayed in. I highly recommend it.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Leroy S
Reviewed 3 February 2013

Awful terrible worst hostel ever.

1. The manager/ owner was soooo rude. First thing he said was "fill out this form. You need to pay $130"
No hello. Nothing. Then he refused to give us our change which was only $5. We has to ask 4 times!!!

2. We had to pay $30 key deposit WHICH WE DID NOT GET BACK. APPARENTLY THIS HAPPENS A LOT. We had to check out in morning to catch a flight. He said he would come night before but he never came. We rang and rang but he just ignored us.

3. The free breakfast is awful. Not even milk is provided. Its bread. That's it.

4. THE PICTURES YOU SEE ON HOSTELWORLD HOSTELBOOKERS IS FAKE!!!!! The hostel does not look like this.

5. They mention airport shuttle which takes you to hostel. We asked the desk at the airport and they said they don't take tourists there anymore. They refuse. That should have been our first clue.

6. The "manager" kept sexually harrassing me. Pinching me inappropriately. I told him I wasn't interested and to leave me alone. He persisted so I threatened to call the police. He just laughed then got angry.

7. Some jewelery and clothes of mine got stolen. I reported it to the manager and he shouted at me!!! Screaming "WHAT DO YOU WANT ME TO DO ABOUT IT. They are your things. Your responsibility"
Apparently things get stolen all the time

There is a sister hostel near by. And they have the same access key. So other people come in and out all the time.

Previous people who have stayed here have made copies of the locker keys. DO NOT STORE YOUR VALUABES IN THE LOCKERS. The staff also have duplicates.

8. There are only 4 toilet/ shower rooms. So you have to wait for aaaaaaages. And they are dirty.

I have traveled a lot and stayed in a lot of hostel. Honestly WORST HOSTEL IN SINGAPORE. NOT SAFE NOT FRIENLY. Horrible manager who needs to be sacked asap.

• Stayed January 2013