“Inexperienced Staff, and Management - Avoid if possible” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Royal At Newton Hotel Singapore

Royal At Newton Hotel Singapore
Ranked #232 of 308 Hotels in Singapore
Los Angeles, California
“Inexperienced Staff, and Management - Avoid if possible”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2013

The facility itself is not bad, but the experience with their Staff, and Manager was bad: We booked two rooms for two nights, and when we arrived at the reception we asked if we could extend our stay for one more night, and the experience was as follows:
-I was told that to save money I should use the internet (they would not honor the rate I paid) which was not bad until I had to pay 4 dollars, and spent half an hour trying in vein to book the rooms. The systems shows they had rooms, but would not allow me to reserve.
-I asked for the manager, and told him we are tired, and asked him to help me with the reservation, and he told me I have to call Expedia Customer Service!
-When I finally got tired of arguing with him, I asked him a simple question: Do you have rooms for us or not, and then he had to go inside, and come back to tell me NO!
-He did not offer to help us locate another room in a sister hotel or otherwise, and when my wife suggested we find alternative place altogether he had to remind us that we prepaid our rooms (so we are stuck).
-They had us pay for a third person, although we had prepaid that, until I found my Expedia printout and showed it to him, even then he told me that he will have to check their email from Expedia before he can refund my credit card!
I felt that the Manager made no effort what so ever to help us, and I managed to find a room elsewhere on my own. We do not recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
Los Angeles, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 April 2013 via mobile

Booked in through company. Fairly convenient location however service dreadful . Rooms aged with strong smell of mould . Noisy and on top of all that people tried to enter room twice middle of
Night . Restaurant very basics more akin a canteen

• Stayed November 2012
manila
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2013

Stayed in this hotel during the week of lunar new year. Room assigned to us (good for 3) was very nice, spacious, clean and comfortable. The bathroom has a bathtub/shower and plenty of toiletries. However, there was no free bottled water in the ref. We were surprised that there was an ironing board and flat iron, an umbrella, plenty of clothes hangers, 2 extra pillows and even a shoe brush in the closet. Location was also good, very near the MRT and there is a bus station right in front of the hotel which will take guests to Orchard Road. Taxis are also plenty outside the hotel. The front desk was also very helpful in providing directions. Overall, our stay here was pleasant and maybe we'll stay here again when in Singapore.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
Darwin, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 December 2012

We stayed here in mid November during the holidays. Being a group of 7, it was hard to find rooms at a reasonable price but I eventually settled on this hotel. It is not a location I would normally choose, but it turned out to be fine.

Despite arriving at almost midnight, check in took 30 minutes, not sure what was the reason just general faffing about behind the desk. One of the rooms was booked and paid for as a triple. Got to the room and found it was a twin. I went back to the receptionist, who looked perplexed and when I pointed out the reservation confirmation from the hotel agreed it was a mistake and said an extra bed would be provided. That took another 45 minutes. Not really a good start, when you are tired and just want to sleep.

I let that go as it was just probably human error. The rooms were clean, and whilst dated had everything you really need. Unless you are going to stay long term in the room, I don't think you should really have a problem. One of our rooms had a plumbing problem, this was rectified but took a tribe of workmen to sort it out. My complaint about it was acted upon very fast though.

Breakfast whilst included wasn't particularly good. The restaurant is tiny and quite frankly a fiasco in the morning. Despite having several staff at the door they just seem to keep allowing everyone in despite there being no seats, rather than holding them until seats became available. The result was on one morning that I had to eat standing up until a seat became free. As for sitting with your friends, it is not going to happen unless you are queueing before opening time. When I politely mentioned this not as a criticism but observation to the apparent Restaurant Supervisor/Manager his comment was 'oh there is a Chinese group, we can't stop them'. The next day there was no group but still the same problem. Enough said.

The location is in a residential area, about two MRT stops from Orchard. There is also a bus stop right outside the hotel. Taxis are plentiful and unless raining you shouldn't have to wait long.

Whether I would stay here again remains in the balance. Checking in shouldn't take as long as it did and the breakfast setup needs an overhaul.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Luzon, Philippines
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 December 2012

The first time i stayed here was 2011, the only problem i have encountered was no one helped me out through our laguage. Second, i purchased an internet (since its not free) when i get back to my room on 13th floor, the internet didn't work. So called the reception they sed they will check the system. After an hour, they called back saying it was ok to used already but not in my room. I have to stay in the lobby to connect to their wifi. The internet was continious so i've wasted almost 1hr of my internet. Food at breakfast are always the same. And there is a dead lizard in the corner from the door from connecting room. The room was really old.we stayed for 3weeks.
November26,2012 i arrived here. I stayed again. At first, i was impress cause the rooms are newly renovated. On my 3rd day of my stay, i woke up at around 8am due to a very very loud noise. I easily recognize what it is but i just ignored it.. (Man working on 15th floor and i stayed on the 16th floor.) all day i heard that noise. After a week of working i finally got my rest day. But unfortunately i hear those noises again. So i called the reception and pleases them to stop those men working for me for atleast 1day to have a good rest since its my off. The receptionist passed me to the manager. The manager told me that they will "try" to stop it. They just sed "sorry ma'am but we are renovating the 15th floor" i still got my patience.. The loud noise never stop so i just decided to woke up and go to a singaporian friend and sleep to her place. Days passed and im used into that noise that wakes me up every morning. And key card didnt work for 11 times. There was 1night that i have to go down from 16th floor to the lobby 3times just because my key didn't work. Again, i asked the lady from the receptionist why it was always like that. I didn't put my key card with the coins or my phone. I even go down 3x and tryin my key to work until the manager came into my room shehas another key. She used her key and it work. She sed "its working" i replied mine is not. I have change it 3x just now. "You can used mine" she sed. She dont even say sorry for that. She left like i wasn't a guess. And im the one who sed "thank you"... This happen 11times that the key didn't work. The vault, is not working too. The lights from the toilet get worst and never work so i have to call the housekeeping to change it. Towels never change or sometimes they never gave a complete set. 1time no towels.. Dishes like spoon and fork never wash for 1week. (I put it on the sink so they will see that it needs to be washed but they were just too lazy) breakfast are almost the same for 3weeks!! And some glasses are not cleaned well. So this is what i thought is just a nightmare.. December18,2012 i checked out. And the receptionist never allow us to leave she sed the manager wants to talk to us. We wonder why. I was thinking oh, maybe they say sorry for all the inconvenience and noise. But it was terrible because they were asking me to pay a $150 for the comforter cover. My friend spilled a cruiser raspberry vodka on the sheet.. I was telling them that they can removed it just bleach. And they don't want, in fact they were insisting us to pay that amount, actually from $150 down to $120.. But it was still expensive. I have told the manager how about all the damages that they've made to me the noisy morning hammer banging on the wall, walls shaking, tiles breaking etc.. How about those times that key doesn't work when you don't even say sorry for that. That it was actually your system error. Those times they gave incomplete set of towels those uncomfortable that they caused me not to have good rest. She can only say sorry. And thats it. So i told her then I'm sorry caused my friend spill a vodka on the sheet. Unfortunately GUEST/ COSTUMER NEVER WIN AND NO IMPORTANCE WITH THEM. I end up paying that amount or else we will be late on our flight. I must say that hotel is HELL!!! The only thing i like was the staff from the breakfast who are friendly. Thats it. Other than that this hotel is awful. I've been traveling and stayed in different hotels, and based on my experienced this is the most low class hotel i have stayed.. I was just unlucky cos the company chooses that hotel. And oh, stay away from 2nd floor... A lot of mysterious happen on that floor.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
Kuala Lumpur
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 November 2012

We stayed four nights on business; the location was convenient due to proximity of MRT and bus stop. The plus point is that it is near United Square (7 min walk) & Novena Square (a longer walk due to Thomson Rd crossing). You can find all the food & shopping you want though they are not like the malls on Orchard. The room was spacious and had nice work desk, two arm chairs and coffee table (classic oriental rose-wood style). The bed had a good mattress and nice beddings. The TV was good and has many channels. The wifi isn't free and there wasn't any drawers for clothes. The bathroom could be a bit bigger and needs a bit of maintenance service. We didn't go to any restaurants and didn't have time to use any facilities; there is a self-service launderette on level 4. We had a good deal for 4 nights on last minute promo price. On noise/sleep, we had to re-select a room to face Newton Rd; the first one we had (Room 1206) was facing direction Newton circus, which should be avoided as there was construction noise in the day time.

Room Tip: Any room facing Newton Rd (front)