“4stars hotel with only 1star service! Terrible”

Hotel Royal Singapore
Ranked #276 of 319 Hotels in Singapore
Reviewed 28 June 2012

We were very unfortunated to stay in this hotel in June during our stopover flight in Singapore. The hotel looks grand however we were so regretted to check in and realised the hotel do not deserved to crown as four stars but lower.

We checked in around 10:50pm and we have been waited for a long time to proceed at the reception desk. There was only two staffs at the counter but served at least 6 customers. After twenty minutes of waiting, we were given a room key card located on the 13th floor!

The First impression when I stepped in was smelt a strong and bad damp air in the room. The floor carpet, sofa cushion cover, window curtain, bed sheets were all stained in different colours. I felt disgusted by all the smells and shape of the pillows was wondering these pillows have been squeezed and used for quite a long time. The TV is totally unfunction unless you pay for the programme!

As a four stars hotel, I would expected at least a few clean towels in the bathroom. Unfortunately, we have to call the operator to request the towels which we have been calling TWICE and staff was delivered after half an hour later!

We stayed in a family ensuite at S$245p/n, we were extremely unsatisfied to the hotel bedroom, receptionist services process and staff delayed to response on towel issue. The most unfortunate was my mum and I couldn't sleep until 4am due to the reason of we heard high heel footsteps sound from the upper floor. We just wondered how could that be ( because floor was finished by carpet) and what was going on!

On our checked out day, we were coincident spoken to the customer who stayed above floor of our bedroom, they commented that they were also heard the similar footsteps but it was coming from the upper floor of them! They were received an even worst treating from the hotel by osing their laundry clothing!

I am so sorry to say that if Hotel Royal would like to charge the customer at 4 stars price, please provide the professional services and products. Thank you!

Room Tip: Unfortunately the room I stayed was ultimately disgusting! Please refer to the other comment and per...
2  Thank SummerHeat80

Reviewed 27 June 2012

We stayed here because it was a Singapore Airlines stopover promotion. Our flight arrived early but we didn't get a room for 7 hours and only after we complained. Reception was initially going to make us wait till 4pm, which was 10hrs after our arrival. There is limited seating in lobby so difficult to wait that long especially after a long overnight flight. When we got to our room, it stank of cigarette smoke and dirty towels and glass were still in the bathroom. The hotel gave us a room with 2 King single beds even though our booking was for 3 people. After initially promising to send a roller bed, they called to say that none was available. We then requested housekeeping bring us an extra pillow, fresh towels and clear dirty ones but they never arrived.
The hotel is far from Orchard Rd although there is a bus stop right in front of hotel and MRT stop 7 min walk away.
The only positives from this stay were that it only cost $1pp as part of the promotion, the room was spacious, and we didn't get bed bugs.
I can not recommend this hotel based on our experience

• Stayed: June 2012
3  Thank LNorton62
Reviewed 21 June 2012

I couldn't even stay 1 hour in this place. It smelled so bad, and even worse in the bathroom. It desperately needs to be upgraded. I have to say that I am used to a certain quality when I stay. Had I been 20 I probably wouldn't have cared but in my 30's I can't stand to stay here. Location is good though, close to an MRT and mall. They make you pay for the internet which I think is a crime anywhere you stay. I can't really say how anything else was because I didn't stay long enough to care.

Room Tip: Ask to smell the room before you go.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank NickS09
Reviewed 13 June 2012

The staff at Hotel Royal are great and always very helpful regardless of the time of day. The rooms are decent but certainly not the best I've seen in Singapore. The food in the hotel restaurant is not the greatest but is decent for the cost. For the money you pay, the hotel is a great option. The location of the hotel is key as it is within walking distance to the Novena MRT and two nice malls - in case you need to do any quick shopping. It is also just a short walk to one of my favorite late night eating spots - Newton Circus.

Room Tip: The family room suites were a good size for 3 adults.
2  Thank Justin K
Reviewed 11 June 2012

I had the task of arranging the hotel accommodation for a party of 20 guests who arrived from India and USA to attend a wedding in Singapore. The hotel did not have an outstanding review but I had the attention of the Sales Manager, Mr Chris Bin and his Customer Service Manager in coordinating the bookings. I received direct feedback from almost all the guests. There was one instance of aircon not working. Another guest did not get the internet connection briefly. One guest saw a dead bug in the room. All these complaints were resolved amicably and timely over a 5 day period. The proximity to Novena MRT and Newton hawker center made this an ideal location for this group of tourists at a super good room rate. Ask for a family room for 3 adults. Worth checking out again but do contact Chris or Alice first.

Room Tip: Ask for non-smoking room in a non-smoking floor
1  Thank roysush
Reviewed 9 June 2012

The hotel is on good location like near to metro and bus station, but the property requires severe maintenance. The property is not up to the mark. The swimming pool is not maintained and to some extent it is not hygienic to swim. The Break fast was ok. They do not provide any vegetarian option.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank UllasgShah
Reviewed 30 May 2012

We took advantage of the one dollar stopover deal with Singapore airlines from Australia to Europe. The hotel prides itself on service, and we found it lived up to that reputation. The stopover counter at the airport hadn't issued us with the correct voucher, but the hotel sorted it out without any fuss.
The room is very large by Singapore standards. And best of all, we were allowed checkout at 4pm. There is a small but well eqipped gym and the swimming pool is a perfect retreat.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business