“Not exactly suitable for royalty...”

Hotel Royal Singapore
Ranked #273 of 319 Hotels in Singapore
Reviewed 27 July 2014

The room was quite large and well furnished. The location was also convenient for public transportation since there's a bus stop right out front, and Novena MRT station a short walk away. However, there were holes in the towels, and the sandals they provided looked like they had been used before. I think there were also rust stains around the toilet. Wifi was also expensive. I would have gone to the business center, but the computers looked ridiculously outdated. Like, the monitors looked to be about 12 by 12...by 12 inches. The thing that worried me the most was the mold in the bathroom. It made me seriously question the cleanliness of other items in the room, such as the bedding. Had an amazing time in Singapore, but definitely would not choose to stay here again.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 23 July 2014

An older hotel but clean and spacious.

Understand it is undergoing renovations so some folks may have stayed in older rooms. I did not encounter any of the bad things mentioned by other reviewers. There was a slight smell but I believe it was incense and it was Ramadan when I stayed here.

Great location, walking distance to Novena MRT Station and Velocity Plaza. Breakfast was quite an experience with the large tour groups. The staff were struggling to turn over seating. If you want western style breakfast, just walk up towards Novena or Velocity plaza.

I believe it was good value for money. You can stay at better hotels but will be paying much more. It has expensive Internet/WiFi and the free TV is just okay. Most plazas, Starbucks, etc. have free Wi Fi so was not a deal breaker.

It is not the worst hotel I ever stayed at. The convenience did it for me as I was out for most of the day anyway. If you are looking for a resort style hotel then give this a miss.

Just looking for a clean, reasonably priced hotel in a convenient location? Then this is for you. Make sure you book through your travel agent as I believe they can negotiate a better price for you.

Will stay here again.

Room Tip: I believe the renovated rooms are on the higher floors. Most tour groups appear to be housed in the...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank foureyes64
Reviewed 19 July 2014

stayed here during my SG trip last July 10-13, 2014...i stayed at room 1410.. the lobby is a little bit crowded at times since most of the tour groups are usually booked here i think..convenient since the location is just 5mins walk from the novena square mrt station...the room i stayed at is spacious and has 2 separate double beds set up..the down side is the internet connection is not for free..i think that as a guest this should be complimentary as to other hotels...free breakfast is served in the jade restaurant..many choices to look at...you can have a full breakfast with the variants available enough to stroll around the city...outside the hotel has a bus stop that leads to orchard road..convenient for shoppers like me who enjoyed the Great Singapore Sale...

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 17 July 2014 via mobile

I am still staying here for the night as my last night in Singapore. Room is big enough but air conditioner not working. Room is more hot & humid than outside. Complained & checked by hotel guy. Asked me to wait for some time, it may cool. Hopefully they will change the room.
This hotel looks more like fish market than a hotel lobby.
Breakfast is OK & ambience is terrible.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 14 July 2014

Booked this at the last minute at The Singapore Airport. The first room had someone in it. Second room was not serviced. Third room I could not lock strong box. Fourth Room and the only one left was a Deluxe but the condensation from the AC was like rainfall and the room was Musty. Duty manager was not very helpful and could not understand my concerns. I had a long flight and was tired and hungry. Over one hour to get into a room that saw almost suitable.

Room Tip: Go to another hotel.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 22 June 2014

This is a reasonably priced hotel in Singapore, and is conveniently located near at subway (MRT) stop. However, when I first checked in they put me in a room on the top (16th) floor that had a serious mold problem and was tired. I couldnt spend one hour in the room let alone 5 nights.

I requested a room change and this took some time and persistence since nothing else was ready. It took several hours and a few trips back to the front desk, but they ultimately shifted me to a room on the 15th floor (#1512) that was updated and fine. No issues.

Other notes: because of its price this seems to be a tour destination. Most days there were buses pulling in when I went through the lobby and it was often crowded. No real impact since I wasn't spending any time in the lobby, but sometimes these groups or the tour leader was dominating the checkin counter. It could take 5-10 minutes to get your turn with the front desk during these times.

One other annoyance, although minor, its this lobby was exceedingly noisy with an agresssive water feature and I'm not sure what else.

Lastly, check the safe in the room. I need this constantly for a laptop and this one was problematic the whole stay. Each time it had an issue, a reset or retry somehow corrected it, but this was alway nerve racking since I was always on the way out the door and didnt have time for them to come service it. Try it as soon as you get in the room and have it fixed before you settle if it is malfunctioning.

Overall the room I settled in was nice and clean. Everything generally worked and it was comfortable. The bed was good and I had a comfortable stay. I will stay there again for next trip to SG. Cheers

Room Tip: As I said, preview room before you move in. See details in review.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 20 June 2014 via mobile

The hotel location is just a few steps from the MRT station. Clean and tiny hotel but has a very bad smell from the lobby to room, maybe this hotel is for Indian, I'm not sure. However, I'm still hoping that hotel can improve this so I will come back next time

• Stayed: June 2014