“Enjoyable time and again”
Review of L Residence

L Residence
Ranked #215 of 312 Hotels in Singapore
Singapore
“Enjoyable time and again”
Reviewed 29 December 2009

+ Deco: Rustic, lux retro feel

+Room: Spacious, well lit, beautiful furnitures with media entertainment neccessities thrown in (40+ inch LCDs, cable tv, ample channels to surf, media player)

+Breakfast mostly wonderful, curry is especially good

+Pool & Patio provides another theme of entertainment

-only breakfast is served, stock up if you are the consistently muching type

-location calls for personal transportation means, granting stone throw's driving distance to major spots, likes of Botanic Garden & orchard road

-plenty of room for improvement in cleanliness, rooms are well maintained though

=Great big ticks for its exclusive special charm the main reason for returning again & again

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Apex
Reviewed 28 November 2009

Its like being at home while travelling. My recommended place to stay in Singapore without any doubt. The owners are wonderful, the staff very helpful and friendly. A wonderful enchanting house, full of chinese artifacts that will blow ones mind. The rooms are spacious and always clean. They give you the run of the house as though it were your own.

Secure, safe and the best place to stay while in Singapore. Quiet, sometimes no one around but that makes it even more homely.

Want to experience the best family and residence while in Singapore, then look no further (I know, I have tried most of the Singapore hotels and homes and this one is outstanding for home from home feeling).

Oh and FREE internet service in your room, 24/7 for those who need it.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled on business
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 16 October 2009

Originally read about L Residence on Trip Advisor, and as frequent visitors to Singapore, my 13 year old son and I thought it would be nice to stay here for a change instead of going to a hotel. Wise choice, we absolutely loved it! It is located in a quiet upmarket residential area just north of Orchard Road, only a 10 minute bus ride away. The residence is so incredibly quiet and peaceful, and we were grateful for that after the hussle and bustle of all the busy roads outside, our room became our sanctuary.

As soon as we walked into the residence for the first time, we thought WOW! The place is just full of the most amazing Chinese antiques, and guests have a complete run of the house (mansion) and it has such a warm, welcoming atmosphere, we really did feel like we were at home, not just as guests but very welcome ones. Nothing was too much trouble for the staff, although we tried not to bother them too much. Other than constantly having to be let in as we couldn't get the hang of where to put the swipe card on the security panel!

The rooms are very comfortable indeed, they are really mini-suites, as there is a little lounge area as well as bedroom and bathroom. There was a small bar fridge (empty), huge lcd tv on the wall opposite the bed with cable tv, dvd player, and nice and quiet air conditioning. Our bed was a king size bed, made up as one bed, but it was actually 2 comfortable singles together. The bathroom was not overly large, but had 2 basins, and toiletries provided were not the usual silly little things hotels love to provide, but real family-size bottles of shower gel, shampoo, hand soap. Also toothbrushes and toothpaste, and spray cologne. Was surprised to see a bidet! Huge shower head over the bath. The bath itself was quite high, and could be difficult for someone with less mobility to climb in and out of perhaps, and it would also be easy to slip after a shower, as no anti-slip mat was provided.

There is a wide variety of food available for breakfast, and a menu is slipped under the door of your room every afternoon so that it can be completed and left outside again at night for the staff to collect ready for the morning. The food is not cooked until you are in the dining room, so that it is nice and fresh. Good choices of western, Asian or Indian foods, and HUGE portions! If I had one complaint, it would be that the fruit juices on offer - orange, grape or apple - are not fresh but canned.

Considering Singapore is an expensive city for hotels, we thought the price for our room was very reasonable. We booked quite a few months in advance and were offered an "early bird" rate of $150 pn including breakfast, but some rooms are bigger than others, so I think the rate might depend on which room you are in?

All in all, we had a wonderful time and would definitely stay again, it would be like returning to old friends. Thanks to Clarence, Shanti and Lily for everything.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled with family
Shanghai
Reviewed 13 October 2009

We got very bad experience.

When I booked the facility I got immediately the feedback to provide my credit card details. After I submitted all details nothing happened. I sent reminders, nothing happened. I called and after many failed attempts and long waiting time a pretty helpless receptionist picked the phone (my 8 years old daughter would be more talkative). This person promised me than to send a confirmation immediately. Guess what, nothing happened until I wrote a serious request for confirmation. We finally got the booking confirmation that the desired room is booked for the period we requested together with a description of the way to the Lewis Road (we have this all in written).

Unfortunately when I arrived with my family, tired after a long flight, I was left helpless back in the lobby room with a strange feeling that something is going terribly wrong. No comment from the receptionist, nothing until I got serious (loud) and asked why I can’t see my room.
The receptionist, a shy and helpless person, talked to the owner outside in another room that we could not catch the situation, we were simply left ignored.
When I finally could talk to the owner I just a lapidary comment, that obviously something went wrong. No apology, no owner coming on site to talk with his frustrated guests, a completely unusual and for Singapore unexpected embarrassing situation.

Still today no apology from the owner (he has my e-mail), it confirms a hopeless lack of professionalism.

A taxi driver which came by chance along helped us to get a hotel. After all we wasted a lot of time, got frustrated and paid for the unexpected hotel we had to take a tremendous additional charge.

I am going to claim to the Singapore Tourism Board, such hostile behavior is certainly not in their mind.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled with family
London
Reviewed 18 September 2009

My wife and I enjoyed our 5 anniversary at L Residence. We read some of the positive and negative reviews and decided to try out this private home.
We were not disappointed. It was a lovely Bed & Breakfast styled home as they stated.
We enjoyed our walks to the Botanical gardens nearby and love the peace & quiet of this exclusive neighbourhood. We had our privacy and yet it was close to the shopping district and attractions.
We enjoyed our breakfast in their Red Dining room surrounded by old oriental lamps on display and art.
Its a bed & breakfast worth coming back again.
----
UK

• Liked — comfortable, clean and central
  • Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
quezon city
Reviewed 18 August 2009

I was getting tired of the usual hotel rooms so for my last trip to Singapore I decided to try a bed & breakfast. There are very little reviews about this place, so like the previous reviewer, I took the risk and booked with the place.

I booked as early as May for my end of July trip. After seeing pictures of the various rooms in their website I chose one I liked best and specified this room in my reservation email to the owner. The reply, however, was that they reserved their rights to allocate the rooms to guests based on various reasons (not specified). I found this strange and kind of irked me a bit. But it was fine.

The owner then requested for my credit card details as they wanted to process the payment beforehand. I gave my details to them and the room charge was reflected on my bill that May.

In June, I was surprised to see another charge from L Residence on my credit card. Apparently their credit card machine provider double booked our transaction. I informed the owner of this mistake via email and he replied saying he would cancel the erroneous transaction as soon as possible and would email me soon.

However two weeks passed with no updates from the owner. This posed a great deal of hassle for me as my credit card bill was nearing its due date, and the double charge (SG$450) was too large a sum for me to pay in order to settle my bill.

I emailed the owner again and he said they were still processing the transaction. I did not understand why a simple cancellation would take so long to process, when I've seen retail stores in malls void erroneous transactions in less than 5 minutes.

The transaction still was not corrected by the time I flew to Singapore and was only corrected two weeks after my trip. I had wanted to cancel my reservation with L Residence as the whole credit card issue irritated me as well as the lack of concern and sense of urgency of the owner. However I had already paid and I had no choice.

Despite the initial hassle I came to L Residence with a positive outlook as I did not want to spoil my vacation. Here then are the pros and cons of the place itself.

Pros:
1. Beautiful house located in an upscale Singaporean neighborhood - very different from staying in hotels. The atmosphere is very homey, and it's feels just like staying over at a friend's house. There is even a pool at the basement.

2. Spacious rooms - lots of space to move about, or cram extra beds into.

3. Free wifi and drinks - internet is fast enough and all the drinks in the room fridge are complimentary.

Cons:
1. Location - as it is located in an upscale neighborhood, dont expect any MRT stations within the vicinity. There is a bus stop nearby, but somehow buses to major places like Orchard Road dont stop here and you will have to walk an additional 10 minutes to the next bus stop, or call a taxi (expensive).

Also, as it is essentially a house, don't expect that all taxi drivers would know how to get there, despite the efficiency and quality of the Singaporean taxi system.

2. Service - as there were only a few guests, we expected service to be very personalized. Their attendants were accommodating and kind enough, but there was a lot lacking. For instance, we asked for breakfast to be served at 7:30 am sharp (we were in a hurry), but it was past 8am before it showed up. We also asked for a wake up call at 6am which never came.

3. Bathroom - for some reason the bathroom wall in our room (Imperial Suite) had translucent glass right next to the shower. I have no idea to what extent I could be seen from outside (I'm sure I couldn't be seen, because who builds see-through showers right?) but it made me feel very uncomfortable.

In conclusion, I think we would've been better off staying at a hotel out there in the commercial areas. Transportation would've been easier and cheaper and service would've been more predictable.

L Residence is a beautiful place, but the experience lacked the charm that they promised.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed 26 February 2009

Having not read any reviews on this property, my family went into this place with intrepidation, but upon arrival realised we had found a hidden gem! We booked two rooms a suite ($225) and double room ($175) and were stunned by the value. The rooms were HUGE in size and included wi-fi. The suite consisted of two rooms with one single/day bed and the other a king. Both rooms had LCD TVs with Astro and the bathrooms were also impressive with every single amenity you could ask for - free. Plus we got two bottles of water free each day. Given the cost of hotels in Singapore, we were extremely impressed by what you got for the price.
The location is around the corner from the old Equitorial hotel and easily accessible to Orchard Rd and the food courts. Just note that the hotel is slightly off Lewis Rd, but the location makes it even quieter to the traffic on Bukit Timah rd.
The staff were extremely pleasant and willing to help with any enquiry. Our family's only criticism was that breakfast was not made on time - we asked for 7 and the cook would only start cooking when we arrived to eat...at 7! But if you're not in any rush - which we weren't - just sit back and enjoy the sounds of the piano or read a newspaper. Also, don't order the scrambled eggs...having had 3 breakfasts there we worked out that the eggs were definately not on the cook's repertoire.
All up, my family were definately impressed by this property and look forward to returning soon!

• Stayed February 2009, travelled with family