The Quincy Hotel by Far East Hospitality
  • Restaurant
  • Restaurant
Grand Park Orchard(Singapore)
3,085 results
All reviewsorchard roadall inclusive packageqool weekendfree mini barlight refreshmentsfree laundryper daysauna and steam roomboutique hotelairport pickfree flowevening cocktailslaundry serviceswimming poolrain showerlate checkmobile phone
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 21 June 2010

Having stayed at most of the hotels in Singapore I was looking for somewhere new and after reading reviews of the Quincy on TA decided to take the plunge.

The hotel is tucked away behind Orchard Road on Mount Elizabeth, just a 5-10 minute stroll downhill to Paragon shopping centre.

First impressions were excellent - the hotel is very modern and is definately targeted at the boutique hotel niche....think Scarlet, Wangz, New Majestic.

The rooms though are much bigger than any of these, with a nice flatscreen TV (showing world cup !), and a large bathroom with shower & seperate bath stocked with molten brown.

It also has a lovely outdoor covered pool which is surprisingly big, free parking and friendly and helpful staff.

The big difference with any other hotel in Singapore is that the Quincy offer an all-inclusive type deal. Your room comes with breakfast, lunch, dinner included. You also get free cocktails/drinks between 6pm-8pm, and free mini-bar in your room.

I was a bit apprehensive about the standard of the food but I have to say it was very good. Better than any hotel I have stayed in before.Breakfast was a buffet whilst lunch and dinner was a set meal (choice of around 10 mains for each).

We had both local dishes (kway teow, fried rice) and westerns (lasagne, chicken burger) and every meal was excellent. On top of that you could help yourself to fruit & soft drinks.

All in all I would say the Quincy is a great choice of hotel. For around $300 we got the above 'package' including a 3pm late checkout which I think is good value.

It's modern, clean, is well located for town, has a great pool and the staff are very friendly.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 June 2010

Whilst Mr Jones was distinctly absent at his namesakes abode, there was however much to croon about when I happened across the little gem that is the Quincy!

This was my second visit to Singapore and I was looking forward to my next foray into this ultra urber city. First time around I stayed at the Shangri-La on Orchard Road, Krunthep Wing no less. This hotel is best summarised by fab service, fab facilities and a fab location so consequently, highly recommended! I do however try and not revisit the same hotel over and over again as I believe repeats if any, should really be confined to the TV, life's just too short!

Having scoured TA as usual for ideas and suggestions, the Quincy Hotel was chosen as the location, facilities and price all seemed to offer a nice balance and so, how was it I hear you ask...

Well dear viewer; pretty good!

If your an inveterate page scanner, you can safely leave now assured choosing The Quincy is unlikely to disappoint you.

For the rest of you, please read on as the devil's in the detail and I do so enjoy detail...

To begin proper, I pre-booked 3 nights directly with the hotel via their website and arrived a little hot and sweaty but on schedule at least.

I was greeted at reception by Nat, one of the Service Executive's at the hotel, who confirmed my reservation and duly completed the necessary paperwork. I was then shown to my room and it was then that I discovered there was a slight problem, at least for me.

In essence, had I been travelling with a small furry feline friend for company say, then the only swinging that could have occurred would have been on the radio as the room would have simply been too small to accommodate the both of us, truly this gave bijou a new definition! I immediately decided that it was not for me at which point, I turned to the chap who brought me to the room and said, “No, not acceptable, we go!”

I then returned to Nat at reception to explain my unhappiness. To further compound matters, whilst discussing room availability I was then informed that due to essential maintenance, the pool was closed (hot and sweaty, remember?), the deep sigh that escaped was one of frustration rather than anger.

Unfortunately, the pool facility was one of the deciding factors for me in choosing the Quincy therefore, it wasn't simply a matter of, “oh well, never mind”!
Furthermore, as I had personally confirmed the pool facility with the hotel directly, I simply couldn't understand why no attempt was made to inform me prior to my arrival of the change of circumstances.

Enter Ruben, Service Executive number 2.

Ruben listened and nodded at the appropriate moments, this at least enabled me to properly explain why for me, the current situation was untenable. After some initial confusion, it emerged that the pool's unavailability was not due to planned maintenance as originally suggested by my earlier companion, but was an essential repair which was therefore, unavoidable.

What was I to do? The room was actually quite nice but just too small for this single lone traveller even without a cat, I have standards to maintain after all dear viewer!

Ruben asked if prehaps a larger room would help to ease my current state of dissatisfaction; “Hmm, it's a start” I replied.

After some further discussion, I was eventually shown to Room 0901 by Ruben which was equally pleasant but could now crucially happily accommodate my single case which was no longer relegated and confined to the floor.

This still left the pool facility to reconcile even though I now accepted it's loss was unavoidable.

I decided to provisionally accept the room and my luggage was duly guided to it's new home in my absence as by this time, I had pottered off for a walk in the rain to ponder my next move.

It was late by now and thoughts of moving were as unwelcome as the discovery of the pole-axed pool so whilst out, I made the decision to sleep on it leaving just the two nights to fill, if I had to!

I arrived back a little soggy but lighter in mood nonetheless to find a handwritten “I'm Sorry” card from The Q Team and a small soft toy Crocodile (which I still have by my desk as I write this!) on my bed hoping that, “I enjoy my new hotels swimming pool”. Well I never, how unexpected!

Such thoughtfulness really was surprising, especially after my honesty, big brownie points here folks, other Hotel's please take note!

After a pleasant nights sleep, I concluded that as there were only 2 nights left in Singapore, negotiating with a different hotel would have simply consumed to much time therefore, I would stay for the duration and make the best of it, pool or no pool.

As I've rambled on a little, let me try and detail more specifically the strengths and weaknesses of the Quincy, sorry it's taken so long to get to the point...LOL!

Location is OK but getting to Orchard Road is kinda convoluted, fastest route walking being through another hotel which may not be too everyone's liking also, if your not a regular walker, then it's best to be aware that you may have problems with the steepness of the local roads, especially in the rain.

As I'm sure you already know, The Quincy is an all-inclusive Hotel, meaning that your breakfast, lunch and dinner are included within your room rate. This was a new experience for me and overall worked well but, there are some important considerations to bare in mind.

The set meal times are just that, set so deviation is difficult. The Menu is also rather limited and repetitive I believe having spoken to other guests. Overall however, I found it perfectly adequate as indeed were the drinks on offer; i.e. drawn beers rather than bottles, house wine and the necessary soft alternatives although it must be said, service could be inconsistent at times ranging from good to poor.

More specifically, as regards the menu, there were also a couple of issues concerning what was and was not possible.

Example 1.
I asked for an item not on the menu (there's always one I know!), plain potatoes instead of the spicy potato wedges on offer as they simply overpowered the very nice steak I was trying to enjoy. This request was graciously agreed to so, loads more brownie points!

Example 2.
I then asked for a bottle of red wine with some 20 minutes still remaining in the window for ordering and was denied. After an interesting discussion with the Maître De and unwilling to be thwarted, I offered to pay what was required regardless; not a happy bunny and nothing whatsoever to do with the money!

What makes this last example even more confusing and annoying is that when reviewing my final bill, I don't think they actually charged me for the wine in which case, why create such unnecessary bad feeling when there was no reason to?

For the record; whilst never previously a fan of the “all-inclusive”, the Quincy came out very respectfully, a little more flexibility would make it even better though, if that's possible with an all-inclusive.

Finally as I am not a stranger to Customer Service in my own business, I would specifically like to mention and commend Ruben, whose input I found particularly focused and constructive, so much so that I was minded to show my appreciation in a more practical manner other than this review, my sincere thanks.

And thank you for your company.

If you do ever make it to Singapore, give the Quincy a go and don't forget to let me know how the pool was, maybe one day I'll return for a quick dip, who knows?
Happy travelling.

Phil.
A London Boy.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled solo
Reviewed 18 June 2010

One of the best hotel in Singapore, in my opinion. For traveler who doesn't want to spend a fortune, but can get all the facilities in a walking distance to the heart of Orchard Road.
The formula all inclusive is very good, even if personally I'd prefer to choose my restaurant outside. Anyway Italian cooking is great!!!

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled on business
2  Thank DavideBali
Reviewed 17 June 2010

I booked this hotel with a lot of expectations. I am a seasoned business traveller and have been to Singapore many times. Have stayed at most 5-star hotels, and decided to stay at a boutique hotel this time for a change.

- Draconian penalty for smoking
- terrible Food
- Limited room service, closes at 10pm
- Small room
- Pathetic mini bar
- TV channels limited
- Small pool with limited sun
- Nice small gym

I was shocked when I was told to sign a statement during check-in that I would be charged one night rate's as a penalty if they found traces of smoking in the room as a "cleaning fee". WHAT? I was not told during booking online, even though I fully understood that this is a non-smoking hotel. If I had, I wouldn't have booked this hotel. What if a friend of mine decided to smoke without my knowledge when I was out? Usually in five -star hotels, all you would get is a friendly reminder about it. I refused to sign it, since I had not been told. When I said I would go to the Hyatt, they said they would charge me a night's penalty for cancelling. The point here is that they didn't inform me about this "extra', and outrageously high cleaning fee during booking, not that I am a chain smoker! they wouldn't let me check in unless I sign that statement. 2 managers came out and finally one of them said it's ok to smoke as long as I didn't burn the room down.
Have never heard of any rule like this anywhere in the world.

Food is absolutely awful. The breakfast is a meagre buffet, with very few choices of food. Everything that's available is oily and processed and unhealthy. The "omelete" is flat and oily. The bacon is soggy and soft. The cheesse is cheap processed cheese. The coffee, oh the coffee, it "self serviced" - 2 office canteen type machine for you to choose from. I asked for scrambled eggs, and it came back as over-cooked lumps of egg. I dare not try their lunch nor dinner after my first breakfast. They really need to train their kitchen staff.

AND room service closes at 10pm??????? the problem is the hotel is a about a 10 minute walk to the nearest 7-Eleven. so after 10pm - good luck if you are hungry.

The room is small - definitely NOT a studio. It has space for only one bed, and a small desk right in front of the TV. storage is very limited. The bathroom is super nice though. I got a bigger room with a bath tub. The bed is very comfortable.

The unlimited mini-bar: you get 2 cans of beer, pepsi, pepsi light, and some water plus some local juice.

Half the channels on my TV didn't work. The Internet is rather fast, compared to other hotels.

The Pool... nice pool. small. but it's covered and you won't get any sun until late afternoon. The gym is small but adequate. The steam and sauna is co-ed and never turned on.

Honestly speaking, I do not believe this is very good value for money. free wifi, free limo, free laundry and free crap food and mini bar.... I would rather they charge everything separately.

Late check in - "oh our hotel is very full today, but if you are willing to pay s$20 per hour, we won't be that full."

I am very used to the Asian hospitality style, and this hotel is not even on par with any 4, 5 star hotels. But if you are from Europe or US or Aus, and have not really expereinced Asian service, then you may find this hotel superb. I would not stay here again - and I do not suggest any business traveller to do so either.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled on business
12  Thank chiwahwah
Reviewed 16 June 2010

We stayed at The Quincy for 4 nights 9 June 2010. This hotel is located just around the corner from Orchard Road, behind the Paragon Mall. The Paragon has an excellent choice of restaurants oin the basement level.
The hotel as a well equiped gym with 3 running machines, 2 cross trainers, bike and weights. Also a Sauna and Steam room with shower facility. The pool which is located on the 12 floor next to the gym as a very cool deck with LED lights and part of the pool has a glass panel where you can see the ground 12 levels below.

In the room you find everything you need, quality toiletries, the minibar is free and contained a couple of beers, soft drinks, water, and juice. Rainwater shower and a separate bath. The black out curtain was motorised and worked much better to the normal curtains you get in other hotels.
Meals are included in the room price, we only ate the breakfast because the food is so good in Singapore we were always out and about. The buffet breakfast was same as any big hotel, cold food, hot food, good coffee, pastries, eggs.
In the lobby there are free mac stations for use which was handy.
But most of all the staff at this hotel were so helpful and friendly. We forgot our phone charger and they were happy to charge our phone every morning. We wanted restaurant recommendations and they looked them up. We needed to get to a friends house and they printed off a map for the taxi driver.
I would stay at this hotel again and highly recommend it. This was my first time in a boutique hotel, we always stay in the 5 star big chains, but never again. The service and rooms at the Quincy has made me think twice about the big chains. .

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple