“quite a good hostel - for Singapore”
Review of The Mitraa

The Mitraa
Reviewed 1 January 2010

As a budget bunk for 2 nights, a happy customer. Staff are excellent. Window room with 2 double bunks - organise your stuff before morning if u are an early riser, or you will be struggling to see anyhting as its either lights on or lights off. Solid 5 min walk from MRT on a flat ground. Free breakfast is simple but nice.

Travellers depend on who is there - surprising how many find it too difficult to even smile acknowledgement or say a simple hello, but that seems to be the way so many are.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled solo
1  Thank ked999

Reviewed 22 December 2009

Our 4 night stay at The Mitraa Hostel has just come to an end. I generally don't repeat my stays at Hostels, but The Mitraa is an exception to the rule. The key winning point for me is that once in your room you can get a nights undisturbed sleep, you dont hear other travelors. Each room individually air conditioned. Each of the three floors has communal showers and toilets, never any crowding in use. Walking access to Farrer MRT, Little India, Bugis Street Markets and Arab Street. The sweet spot is the second floor, ask for rooms furtherest from showers and toilets. I remommend the second floor as WIFI is great from rooms, 3rd storey not so good. WIFI access is free. My room had a bunk bed with no windows, but that was OK as it meant the room was darker and you slept longer. Breakfast as part of the deal is not fancy but adequate with toast, fruit and tea or coffee. There are 24 hour food outlets one street away. I would avoid rooms if possible on first floor as there would be a little more noise from passing quests and when breakfast starts at 7.30am.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank Chris C
Reviewed 22 November 2009

Mitraa is a small hostel about 30 minute walk or two tube stops from the city centre. The staff are very very helpful and the beds, rooms, showers are clean as stated in previous reviews. Wifi is free but their is a charge for using their pc's unlike some other hostel in singapore but they do not watch the clock regiously and charge you approx. They have washing machine with washing lines to dry your clothes, chargable iron? and free toast, eggs and tea/coffee for breakfast. Only bad point is the location, which is not a million miles away from the city centre but not perfect.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 November 2009

The staff really lighted up this place! (My) rooms are a little dingy and did not have any windows, and at times got tooooo cold from the airconditioning. You really need a blanket here (they do not give you any)! There was room for luggage in lockers, but most of these were rather broken. The showers/bathrooms were ok, especially considering the amount of people that go through them at all hours of the day and night, and in the humidity nothing dries!! However, the hostel is perfectly situated near Little India, with lots of eateries available around the corner, and temples to visit/wonder at. Shopping is good too, and the MLT is just down the road. The staff is superfriendly, welcoming and helpful, they make you feel right at home! And the price is definitely a pretty good deal!

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled solo
Reviewed 8 October 2009

From the first email response to the last farewell email, the Mitraa has made the mark as welcoming you as one of the family. And it is the staff that makes this place so great. Standing in the middle of the street, after being dumped by the airport shuttle, trying to figure out who is going to carry what suitcase - we were suddenly surrounded by a group of friendly faces - the Mitraa team - who came to our rescue - and even saved us from carrying our very heavy suitcases up the stairs!
Jack, Edburt, Nelson, Sebastian and the other staff went out of their way to assist and talk and share info. My 8 year old son immediately made friends with everyone and it was a sad goodbye two days later.
I had lost my credit card and I was allowed to us the phone (for a very long time) to sort out some emergency funding.
We had a great room, with double bed and fantastic aircon. One of the things that impressed me the most (because at 46 it is a challenge to share bathrooms), was how clean the bathrooms where. Have not been able to figure it out, but we used the shower at all hours of the day and not once did we get there to find a dirty bathroom - not even a drop of water on the floor! I should send my husband here for some training.
The free wireless was a bonus and one of the highlights for both of us was sitting outside on the veranda with a cold beer (and Sprite for the young one) at 11 at night and just chilling out in the warm night air, chatting to everyone.
Singapore was great as well. We did the Swimming with the dolphins at Sentosa Island and the Singapore Flyer (the two most touristy things). Apart from that, we enjoyed shopping in Little India, chatting to the locals, eating in the food courts, finding great pastries in China Town and visiting the Science Centre - a must for any child (does not matter what age you are!).
Will definately go back to Singapore!
The best reference for the Mitraa comes from my 8year old. He has decided that I need to take a job in Singapore and that we should stay in the Mitraa!!!

For more tips on things to do in Singapore, please read our blog - http://strydomsinphuket.blogspot.com

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled with family
2  Thank moniquestrydom
Reviewed 2 October 2009

We enjoyed our stay here which was one week. Everybody is very friendly and polite. They help you when ever they can.
It´s a good advise to everybody who wants to have a nice and comfortable hostle in Singapure.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 5 September 2009

I booked The Mitraa in Singapore based on prior reviews. I was in a eight bed room at first, apparently with all boys (who smell in general, haha) but I promptly had ants crawling all over one of the walls... luckily they had a bed free in a four bed room and switched me without charging. The computers were great and they weren't too strict on a minute-by-minute charge.

Location... not cool. Not that it's a bad location, but it's by NOTHING. It's a bit of a hike (5-10 minutes) to the Metro stop and in general a 10-15 minute hike to the nearest restaurant. Based on places to stay in Singapore, I was surprised how "out in the middle of nowhere" it basically was, not a backpacker area at all, so if you're looking for that atmosphere stay somewhere else. However, I didn't really price compare, and SIngapore is expensive, so I got what I paid for I guess.

Also - they offer laundry, but didn't tell me when I did laundry that they have no machine dryer. So my clothes took about 2 days to dry the the July Singapore Humidity. Keep that in mind...

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled on business